THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

How does everyone feel about their game? What is the strongest part of your game? Where do you need to make the most improvements?

Nothing stands out as super strong for me right now. One round I get off the tee well, the other I struggle. The same goes for my short game. The good news is that nothing feels really weak. I struggled this weekend from 150--felt like I was coming in steep and hitting fat shot after fat shot. Need to work on getting a controlled swing with the wedges that I can trust.
Like others have said, for early in the year, it's been inconsistent. Driving had been solid, until last week and it went MIA, putting has been average, wedge and short game have shown the biggest improvement since the end of last year. I credit that to a solid set of the same wedges and working on it several times a week.

The driver showed signs of righting itself yesterday in a nine hole round and then on the range. The test will come tomorrow when it goes under the pressure of league play and again Saturday during the RNK practice round.

Been playing fairly well but different things are causing me problems. One time it's putting, then chipping and the next my irons. The best part is that my scoring band is getting smaller. At my home course I am consistently shooting my handicap or better. No big blow up days, yet!! Looking forward to the practice round this weekend, it should be a lot of fun playing with THPers again!!!

Tee game is killing me. It doesn't seem to matter what I hit off the tee, I just can't keep it in front of me. It's taking 2 to 3 extra strokes to get out from under trees and around the green. I think / hope readjusting my set up (from my lesson) will help that. My short game has been pretty good. Putting, which I've worked on a lot seems to be better or at worst...consistent.
I'm planning on getting 9 in after work today, to see how much the lesson adjustments work. They worked pretty good on the range.

I've been playing ok lately. My tee game has been getting better and my short game and putting has been on fire. Irons have been a little loose but I have a lesson on Thursday to figure it out.

Last edited:
I hope you guys are doing well and gearing up for a great event. Before you know it you'll be standing on the box and some of your knees will be knocking a little bit lol, enjoy it and savor every moment, don't take it so serious it ruins it for you and remember, the only golfer you need to be better than, is the golfer you were yesterday.

How does everyone feel about their game? What is the strongest part of your game? Where do you need to make the most improvements?

Nothing stands out as super strong for me right now. One round I get off the tee well, the other I struggle. The same goes for my short game. The good news is that nothing feels really weak. I struggled this weekend from 150--felt like I was coming in steep and hitting fat shot after fat shot. Need to work on getting a controlled swing with the wedges that I can trust.
I'm a half glass full guy, but also can be realistic. I am really happy with my putting right now - I am 3 putting much less and short putts no longer scare me. I'm confident when we play or better condition greens, the birdie count will increase. I am concerned with my irons right now though to be honest. Hanging them out the right at times which I've never done. I'll see how it goes tomorrow on league night

I'm not doing anything great right now, but I am doing a lot pretty well. Short putting and fairway woods were a weakness earlier in the season, but I've put a bunch of work into both and am trending in a good direction. The strongest part of my game currently is short irons. I'm going to keep working on them to stay sharp.

I'm currently happy with my game, a lot! However, that can change overnight. 2 weeks ago I was frustrated and ready for a lesson. I have not taken a lesson in 25 years and have always been able to self diagnose my game but I was in such bad shape I started talking to local instructors. Then I went out and played and something just clicked, I started making better contact and confidence grew. I have also discovered that I hit the ball way better on the course than I do on the range. That seems to go against the norm for most players. Does anyone else experience that?

My tee game is better than it's been in years. I know this event has a lot to do with that. I am focusing and practicing more than I have in many years. I need to really start practicing what I need work on most and that is putting. I am too streaky. Last night I had a great front and struggled on the back with the flat stick. Maybe it's just lofty expectations, thinking I should be able to make everything all of the time. It's a WIP. I am going to focus on putting and see where it goes.

I believe that there is a certain War Eagle around here that has been known to experience the same thing.

For any Carolina folks: Trying to plan a day trip (yeah, it's going to be a hecka lotta driving for one day) for a scouting round at RNK. Tentatively I think May 14th and/or May 28th will work*. Otherwise we can shoot for a round in June. For me it's a straight shot up I-95, so I can pick up a couple of people along the way.

*Need to run those dates by the boss. If a weekday works better for people, I could probably swing that as well, but it'll probably be a drive up, play, drive back sort of deal for me unfortunately.

Alright, 9 yesterday after work. After the lesson, much better ball striking. I only chunked 2 all day. Tee game went from killing me to... not helping me. Which is a big improvement. Mostly I was able to keep it in front of me; a bit longer too. Finished with a 48; one 3 putt and one 1 putt. 2 penalty strokes.

Looks like my next round will be a scramble next week. Will be having several range sessions between now and then. Hoping to get out next weekend.

54 holes since Monday for me... all on the same nine-hole course.

Finally put some swings together and despite a quadruple bogey to finish, I posted an 89.

Monday and Tuesday, I was standing over the ball from the tee and it felt foreign to me. I felt much better today.

Some putting practice tomorrow in the house and then a rest day on Friday before 36 holes this weekend.

2 birdies in my first 8 holes today... should have had a third but couldn't sink it from 7 feet.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

The wait is killing me. I want to play and get my team trophy already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For any Carolina folks: Trying to plan a day trip (yeah, it's going to be a hecka lotta driving for one day) for a scouting round at RNK. Tentatively I think May 14th and/or May 28th will work*. Otherwise we can shoot for a round in June. For me it's a straight shot up I-95, so I can pick up a couple of people along the way.

*Need to run those dates by the boss. If a weekday works better for people, I could probably swing that as well, but it'll probably be a drive up, play, drive back sort of deal for me unfortunately.
Need to see what I can make happen.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Really good range session today thru most of the bag. Had some better success with driver but still battling open club face and pulling away from the shot.

just over two months. Excited for this event to get here. Have the Thp event hangover

You must be confused no participation trophies in this one

I knew someone would say that.

I don't have a witty comeback for it but I can say, with all certainty, I will be a nightmare for your team so make sure you put your best up against me.

And I'm going to cause all this havoc for you guys playing your M1 driver!

You must be confused no participation trophies in this one

I'm sure they've done the research. Carolina guys know a LOT about participation trophies.

I'm sure they've done the research. Carolina guys know a LOT about participation trophies.
Pretty sure you don't want to compare past wins between the teams.....
It is all about the future and we know the best team will have the trophy in the end

65657517.jpg

Geez. Let someone be king for a month and it really goes to their head. :alien:

Geez. Let someone be king for a month and it really goes to their head. :alien:

no no... the CROWN goes ON their head. Much like the Trophy goes in their hands.

Goona be good to see the course tomorrow and tee it up with some of the DMV guys.

Fired up for tomorrow fellas. Should be a good time. See Ya'll on the range!

Back