Bushnell Neo iON GPS Watch Preview

Does the Ion give you ranges to the Front, Middle and Back of the green depending on angle of approach. I heard the XS range is only good from the middle of fairway. The Garmins and a few others will give ranges in Near, Middle and Far to the green regardless of the angle of approach. Not sure I'm wording this clearly enough.

The xs range just like my last Bushnell product is good from anywhere. I never heard of only receiving good info from only the fairway. That imo would be a waste.

The xs range just like my last Bushnell product is good from anywhere. I never heard of only receiving good info from only the fairway. That imo would be a waste.

Yep. I knew I wasn't clear on my question. http://www.criticalgolf.com/golf-gps-device-features/
Read under "Green Points Mapped"

Description on an different forum: The GPS which were recorded for the Front/Center/Back are in line with a point on the fairway. Only if you stand on this particular line all three points would be on one line. If you are 50 yards from the middle on this line you would e.g. read F:40 C:50 B: 60)
If your are pin high but 50 yards away from the green the distances will suddenly say (Front: 50 (plus x) Center 50, Back 50 (plus x))

Hope this clears up my question.

Last edited:
Yep. I knew I wasn't clear on my question. http://www.criticalgolf.com/golf-gps-device-features/

Description on an different forum: The GPS which were recorded for the Front/Center/Back are in line with a point on the fairway. Only if you stand on this particular line all three points would be on one line. If you are 50 yards from the middle on this line you would e.g. read F:40 C:50 B: 60)
If your are pin high but 50 yards away from the green the distances will suddenly say (Front: 50 (plus x) Center 50, Back 50 (plus x))

Hop this clears up my question.

I got you now. You mean if your on an angle then the (new) front would face you meaning the front is actually whats directly in line with you and then the center and rear would follow suit in a line based on your position.

I ddnt even know any of them did that and always assumed it meant actual F,C,B. But honestly if what we have are to the actual F,C,B isn't that good enough anyway? We could pretty much judge the rest imo. We had to guess far worse than this some years back before gps became a norm or existed.

I got you now. You mean if your on an angle then the (new) front would face you meaning the front is actually whats directly in line with you and then the center and rear would follow suit in a line based on your position.

I ddnt even know any of them did that and always assumed it meant actual F,C,B. But honestly if what we have are to the actual F,C,B isn't that good enough anyway? We could pretty much judge the rest imo. We had to guess far worse than this some years back before gps became a norm or existed.

Yeah, I don't think it's a huge deal. But, for instance, I pull hooked a 4 wood bad the other day and was pin high but probably 60-75 yards left of the green. I had to hit over a few short trees but couldn't go long because of OB. So having the Near, Center, Far from the side is helpful.

fwiw I just spoke to Bush about my new xs version and while on the phone I asked about the new ion version. The rep not only said the differences are really only the band and style but when asked about weight and thickness he said the new one may actually be a tiny bit thicker.

So outside of the longer life battery and the looks (which is only personal choice anyway) it seems one would have to feel the extra bucks are worth the new ion version for just those things and keep in mind its actually a tad thicker. But imo I do think the ion is a tad nicer looking however Id have to see it in person to really tell. In the end the xs version imo (for the right price) would be the way to go especially if money is a concern. Just my.02

Hope this clears up my question.

I have a Golfbuddy WT4 that does that. Golfbuddy calls it Dynamic Green view....so it measures F/M/B regardless of your angle to the green.

Back