Can a Rough be Too Rough?

OQWwoC5.jpg

Thanks for the laugh JohnSinVa.

If you see where your ball landed in the rough and still can't find it, then it is too dang high.

One of our two city owned courses in town is a links style course. No trees on the property. Nothing to guard it but wind (it's always windy here) and rough. Apparently, the grounds crew has been very aggressive this year and have been watering the rough and keeping it really long. I haven't played there since May for other reasons. I talked to the pro a week or so ago and found out that they were having to give rain checks. People were coming in after 9 holes pi**ed off about losing balls in wide open areas. The pace of play was atrocious. And, apparently, if you did find your ball, it was almost impossible to advance it to the green. I guess their rounds played are plummeting. The old pro has been at odds with the super there for years on some of these course condition issues. The new guy took over last year, and I think he's dealing with the same problems.

Cherry Creek Links in Riverhead, NY started off like that their first few years. Beyond 2nd cut, the ball essentially disappeared. Now, I kind of figured the reason for it a few years later. But there WERE complaints about it during those first few seasons. What they did was let that grow out a bit to 'protect the course'. They had planted trees that were just saplings so they were no real hindrance to taking a shot since they were ALL (or almost all) staked with free drops, etc... After a few years, the trees grew and filled in, stakes removed and what do you know, the rough was trimmed down mightily. So now you might find your ball, but now had tree issues getting to advance down the hole. Their "Woods" course across the street didn't have those issues since it was cut through an existing stand of trees for the most part and had a built in defense.

and in other news- if you want to find the ball, don't hit it there... <rimshot.wav>

You played today? Mondays are usually very brutal everywhere. Since most courses usually don't cut everything on the weekends, just greens, in the essence of speeding up play. (at least it was during my days of working at a number of golf courses as a kid) And given the right conditions, water & heat, some certain grasses (especially bermuda or zoysia which I assume that is) will just flourish and seemly grow overnight. This one reason why most country clubs are "closed" on Mondays for the most part. They use that day as a general "cut everything" day & get the rest of the club prepped for the week.

But yes, that rough on the edge of the fairway is a bit brutal. Especially if you have it growing into you .... good luck advancing it very far. Around the green I can understand but not that close to the fairway.

Played another 18 today, and the course seemed to have very tall rough, including adjacent to the fairway. I have never spent so long on a golf course looking for golf balls within our group than I did today. Golf balls were constantly over 100% covered in the rough. I understand that the rough is supposed to be penalizing, but I think today was too far. Some pictures are below, but this was every single hole.

What do you all think? Was the rough too rough?

Ball 1, right off the fairway:

8e5e90195deab18d47892fab85fba4e9.jpg

d56828e4d75b6b521204dcb1aced7407.jpg

Ball 2, short of the green:

826884f2ad105309c35c9895d78cf242.jpg

471316f322b470b0c5c65cf21f6d474a.jpg

That looks like about my limit for rough length on any course I'm going to play frequently. From the photos that included golf balls, you seem to be able to see it without standing directly over the ball. As long as I have a good chance of spotting my ball from 5-10 yards away it's alright.

I am kind of indifferent on the rough, a lot of rough variations is the grass density. I play a couple courses 7 miles apart with the exact same kind of grass and mowed at the same heights, but one plays tougher than the other because the grass is thicker at one, just how it grows.

Can rough be too rough? Yes I believe it can if you have no chance of getting a ball advanced to the green is bad for golf and bad for pace of play, but without being a high level private club that is extremely well manicured there is going to be parts that are thicker than other where the ball sits down more or less. It all depends on the course and how it lays out should the rough be more of a penalty than others.

I think that's acceptable, but not too much longer.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

your pictures are common here. Almost too high, but not bad. The problem here is when the fall really sets in. Not only does the Bermuda get squirrely, but itll become thicker and almost everything is down and you cant find crap.

I did notice the other day at my usual course though they mowed down this area of the hole that was rough into fairway. Making the angles matter more on the hole and keeping that area from being too thick which is normal and due to how the bermuda grows on the hill and not being able to find the ball.

Hahaha looks like the daily rough at my course...
6d1c9eaa1bd0a291b34ca1ce45847e2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that too rough? No. Can rough be too rough? Yes.

This is when I roll out the matte florescent balls... ain't no one got time for that

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back