Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should note that the 12th hole dictated the club choice of 5 iron due to the 70 degree dogleg. It was a tight fairway, too. I just pushed the shot right. Correct distance. The provisional went where I wanted. Couldn't find the original played the provisional and got a 4 + S&D.

Others in my foursome hit either irons or rinky dinks. One hit a FW trying to do a hard draw around the dogleg and lost the ball in the woods on the left.

We are not immune from making bad decisions. There are times I wish I had a caddie. "Julie, you might want to take a couple of unplayable lies here." "No, I can hack it out." "Seriously? You could end up in worse shape."

And have you noticed that when we're having a blow up hole, we usually go brain dead at the same time? This compounds the problem.
The "Deer in the headlights" moment. LOL.
I am never trying to overpower a hole with my club selection. I usually take a club I can hit OK, and even if it's short am content to run it up to the front of the green.
The last 2 rounds, I've been driving fairly well, it's been the wedge (I'm a one wedge kind of guy.), and putter that have let me down.

The "Deer in the headlights" moment. LOL.
I am never trying to overpower a hole with my club selection. I usually take a club I can hit OK, and even if it's short am content to run it up to the front of the green.
The last 2 rounds, I've been driving fairly well, it's been the wedge (I'm a one wedge kind of guy.), and putter that have let me down.

What is your common miss with your putter? Short? Not enough break?

Green reading is a skill all of its own. I can tell you do not wear regular polarized sunglasses when putting. You won't be able to see the grain or the contours of the green correctly. Nike Golf X2 sunglasses (available in prescription) in the purple tint reveal contours of the greens. It's just a particular light frequency. I have a pair of prescription Ray-Bans with custom lenses that do the same thing. On poa annua there is no grain to the greens, but I can see where the grain changes and where there will be slow spots on my putting line that I didn't used to see. On bent or fescue greens they're great because you can see the grain and the contours stand out. The lens color just makes it easier to read.

And for chipping, I just use my sand wedge and pick my landing point. On our poa greens i can't count on the proper roll out for the "rule of 12".

Green reading is a skill all of its own. I can tell you do not wear regular polarized sunglasses when putting. You won't be able to see the grain or the contours of the green correctly. Nike Golf X2 sunglasses (available in prescription) in the purple tint reveal contours of the greens. It's just a particular light frequency. I have a pair of prescription Ray-Bans with custom lenses that do the same thing. On poa annua there is no grain to the greens, but I can see where the grain changes and where there will be slow spots on my putting line that I didn't used to see. On bent or fescue greens they're great because you can see the grain and the contours stand out. The lens color just makes it easier to read.

And for chipping, I just use my sand wedge and pick my landing point. On our poa greens i can't count on the proper roll out for the "rule of 12".
Well, to be honest, this last round, the putting was poor on the front nine because I was trying the left hand low style.
On the back nine, we were all badly misreading the greens.
I have a little 9 hole executive course near me that has a nice, big putting green, that I will hit during the week to just roll putts of differing lengths and breaks.

(Sitting with a group of "Trying to Break 100 Golfers)

This might be long so bear with me.... Let me start off by saying I admit to having a problem of being just that, a break 100 golfer..... yeah I've done it but I want to do it about 10 times in a row and poke my nose into the "Break 90" thread.

I have only played 6 18 hole rounds so far this year. I also have a slew of 9 hole rounds in also. My scoring from out of the gate goes like this for 18 holes: 104, 92, 103, 91, 97, and 92. I have been playing hurt, wounded, cut up, etc. along with having some real bonafide putting issues. Here are my thoughts on how to break 100. I've done it 4 out of 6 times and so can you.

1) Move your tee box up and play a shorter course. If your playing with others, it might not be up to their liking. Do it when you play alone or with someone that doesn't mind. So far this year, I have only played from the senior tees. They just recently opened up the blues and whites from winter maintenance. When I tried playing from the ladies tees last year, I scored worse than playing from my usual whites. Why? Because I was in the frame of mind of blasting a driver so damn far to the hole that it turned into some nasty slices that ended up in the water or woods. When I toned the clubs down, it made the mid iron play so much stronger. It has spilled over to this year! Yeah, your a little closer and the more you are used to it, the better those bright shiny shafted clubs become. Some holes, it's a wash because we are only talking about 10 to 20 yards on some par 4's. Who cares if you are not playing from the whites or blues. You are here to learn the game, get under 100, and playing a shorter course will build confidence because you are not trying to swing for the fences on reaching a greens in regulation. Your tee shot will be a disaster and the followup shot will be the same. Before it's time to start playing the hole, you are looking at a double or triple unless some miracles happen. You never want to be hitting 3 from the tee. As the confidence builds, then you move back. Trust me, your iron play will be heads and shoulders above what it used to be because those clubs will be in your hands more. I used to tremble when I was 150 yards out from the hole. Not anymore, bring it!

2) I used to think that every time I stepped out on to the golf course that it had to be a round for handicapping purposes. If you don't feel up to it at the first tee, don't be afraid to use it as a practice round or just play golf. If nobody is behind you, hit another if an errant shot crops up. If I'm shooting for score, even that first tee shot that lands in the trees between number #1 and #2 counts. Time for some up n' down bogey golf out of the gate. I have an unlimited cart pass so if the course is empty, it's mine for the taking. I've hit a pitching wedge all the way to the hole on a par 5 just to prove to myself that it was me and not the club. :D Just a few hours ago, I got tired of sitting around with a bad back, a mandatory do nothing thing for a day after a hospital visit and decided that my weeks vacation was going to be up before I could hit some balls. The course was just aerated so I decided to walk and hit some balls. I took a "Sunday Bag" with only a 4 iron through putter (11 clubs) to get it out of my system. I was only using a partial swing and did not know what to expect at the first strike. Would I be down on the ground in pain or jumping for joy with a 180 yard 4 iron to the middle of the fairway? Neither because I hit the tree line lining 1 and 2 for 100 yards. Second shot was supposed to be a punch out but it caught the trees again for 50 yards. I'm sitting under some more so another low punch is in order. My green shot hit a branch as it sailed 35 yards short of the green and in the rough. Uphill lie with the pin at the bottom of a two tiered green. Please Idiot, don't hit your shot on that upper tier or the putt down might roll off and go 50 yards down to the fairway. My chip was a little hot and went 15 feet left of target but I was on the bottom of the tier. Go easy on that putt or all hell will break loose. Drained the putt with 2 feet break on a aerated green. Got my bogey and was hurting like something else but I was happy as can be. My mind felt so good that I walked the front 9 again. This was practice golf with short yardage bag and I was scoring right where I should be even on poked n' sanded greens. I usually leave the 4 iron in the house and use a hybrid with the same loft. It goes a little farther but I didn't have to deal with head covers. :clapp:

3) Know your club distances. I must stress that the carry distance is the most important for me. There is no better feeling in the world when you plop one on the green from 160 yards out. Yeah, if you 3 putt your still looking at bogey. Take it and run with it. I have used the stats from my Game Golf, GPS watch, and laser rangefinder to really pick up my game. I never would have believed anybody if they told me about the slope functions benefit on their rangefinder until I bought one with it. I play a real hilly course and it has paid dividends letting me know the proper club selection for certain areas of the course. When I'm handicapping, I change out the front piece so the slope function does not work. So far this year, I haven't played any handicapping rounds for the Ghin system. I don't think I will until mid summer because I have no plans for getting into any tournaments.

4) The Setup and Swing. Obviously as you get better, so does your shot placement. Knowing where the ball is going to go and what it is going to do when struck is half the battle. The biggest thing that has helped out my iron play is slowing things down. A nice controlled takeaway usually leads to good things like solid contact. You know that sound when it is done right. That leads to hitting your carry distances and sticking those balls on the green or damn near it. It makes the game so much easier when your playing north south and not zig zagging your way to the hole. All those wasted yards add up in the end. The next thing may sound so stupid but it is so real. Do you actually look at the ball when it is struck? When I first started, I don't think I did because I was so worried about seeing where the damn thing was going. I had a pretty good golfer give me some sound advice early last year. He told me if you want to see a bad shot, pick your head up. It may sound silly but actually watching your club sweeping under the ball at contact and noticing the little pieces of grass flying is an amazing sight. Only then is when my head starts the process of looking up. As you get better, you know where they are going anyway! I've noticed that my bad shots has a divot that is pointing 45 degrees to the left and it usually is a fat shot in the rough. That tells me that I'm trying to put a little more juice on it and coming across the ball hard. A nice easy swing would have done wonders and sent the ball where it was supposed to go. Ease up on the swing and they go pretty damn far and your scoring will show it over time.

5) I have been having the mindset of playing for bogey golf. The pars have come more and more because the pressure is off. I have missed so many birdie putts this year that it would make your head spin. I'll take the par and move on because I won that hole big time. If I happen to hit an errant tee shot and the chances of going through a small window between a row of trees or a punch out back to the fairway are the options. Take your medicine and get the ball where it needs to be and move on. I have no problem punching one back towards the tee if I'm sitting under a Christmas Tree size pine. You might surprise yourself when your right back on the green in three and a 2 putt gets that bogey on the multitude of par 4's. I have the mindset of doing a scramble or up n' down to get that bogey. It is another confidence builder because you know that you can save shots like these in a round. Remember, your buffer is 9 shots. It is not so hard when you think of it.

6) Don't tally up your score until after the last hole. Think of how many times you said to yourself that you need this score on this hole to get under 100. How many times has it been a blowup hole? Some are just downright daggers through the heart and it spills over a few rounds. I've done it on number 9 (par 5) that I only need a double bogey to be at 49. It turns into a major disaster and the back nine troubles are directly attributed to what just happened by the clubhouse. The scores will come, just play the game at an even keel and you will be surprised on how low you were and wasn't even thinking about it.

7) The Course. When I was just starting to be able to hit with some consistency, I did just that. I never really thought about hazards, pin placements, or landing areas too much because it was a blessing just hitting it somewhere. Go big or go home usually ended up with scorecards in the 110's or higher. Once I got a little better, I was thinking about them more and more. Obviously playing the same course helps you out on this because you start to get accustomed to the areas that play into your weaknesses. Knowing your carry distances helps you land the ball that puts you in the best position to get that second shot on the green or near it. Just because your closer doesn't mean your better. I'd rather be 20 or 30 yards back on #3 and standing on level ground than on a very steep side hill where my chances of hitting it fat or spraying it way left is a real possibility. I put myself into position to hit my green with perfect positioning and have room if it wants to run out. I'm not going to go beserk if a 3 putt happens because I'm a bogey golfer and I got what I was after at this stage of the game.

8) Pin Hunting. I'll admit to doing it more when I was worse. Now, I'll take what the course is giving me for that day with pin placements. As a general rule at this stage of my game, if in doubt aim for the middle. If the pin is tucked near a bunker with no run up present, I ain't falling for that crap anymore of going in there, then hitting past the hole and hopefully staying on the green to putt back. I'm aiming for my shot to stop in the middle and take my chances with the putter. Don't get greedy because I'm not that good....... yet!:banana:

9) Playing partners. I usually play alone because of a #$%@ work schedule. I have found that playing with better players does wonders for your game. At first I thought it would be intimidating because you would be holding up or ruining their game. When I was a constant topper and fatter, I'd bail after a couple of holes. There is no confidence when you feel you are an embarrassment out there. I knew I'd come out of it eventually (still crops up time to time on steep uphill/downhill lies) and would not hesitate to join up with anybody. I seem to raise my game a little when playing with the big dogs. It makes you feel really great when you get a compliment from the club champion when your ball bounces on the green. It gets better when you all get up there and your ball is the closest to the hole. I'm talking multi time mens/womens club champions. They give great advice and you get to see how they play the fairways and greens. I know where to hit them now but just need to work on the pace or get that touch on the greens. Their missed putts are tap ins. Listen to me, their missed putts are tap ins! Why do I go aggressive and run them by 5 feet or more? Listen and watch. :D Join up with the better players when you feel up to it. It will make you much better when you get to see controlled swings over and over again. They play from the fairways and are hitting greens in regulations. The lady I played with a week ago made 4 birdies in a row on the back nine so I learned something on those greens. I hope to get to the back 9 again!

Edit: it was long!!!!

Last edited:
SRX, that was an epic post, and some good insights.

SRX, that was an epic post, and some good insights.

Agreed. Some good wisdom in there. I've recently found the beauty of "riding the hot club". I suppose it might be more accurate to say "avoiding the trouble club(s)".

It seems that sometimes I hit my driver better than my Mini and vice versa. For a long time I would fight with one or the other for the front 9 before shelving it in favor of the other. I now make that adjustment after two or three holes if an issue emerges. The same goes for irons.

I just got done playing 18 with two other guys. The one is rock solid from everywhere. I played absolutely terrible and ended up with a 100. I think I got the putter thing figured out, well at least this one. The hosel is loose and it spins. Sometimes it has dead sound and the ball shoots off to the side a bit. It was the only one I had with me and I noticed it on #1. I was going to play by myself and try out my old go to club, the 18 degree wood. I took the 17 degree hybrid out and it bit me just about every time I used that wood. Just not used to it. I used to hit it better off the deck than the 3 wood. I'm going back out with another putter and 3 hybrid and see if everything starts working again. 35 putts counting 5 from the fringe!!! The greens are still really slow from the aerating so I will hold off judgement on that part of the game until they come around. The rest was no excuse. Come to think of it, I could have played my tee shot on #12 that was sitting on the waters edge. I wasn't about to stand in the muck and be covered after the shot so I took a penalty. That cost me in the end. lol

Yeah sun glasses can be a killer to reading greens. I go with what my feet tell me, not usually my eyes. When my feet say the putt is flat or less than a degree of slope then I try to find the subtle breaks (grain if bermuda) with my eyes.

106 (55/51) today. Course opening for the season. New putter worked fine, but chipping was not that good. Par 3 holes today was trouble. One bogey, one double, one triple and one quadruple. There are some shot to save there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

106 (55/51) today. Course opening for the season. New putter worked fine, but chipping was not that good. Par 3 holes today was trouble. One bogey, one double, one triple and one quadruple. There are some shot to save there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugh. I HATE messing up on par 3s!

Shot 120 yesterday, 107 today. Improvement. My driving was way better yesterday but I couldnt Iron or putt for anything. Today I couldn't drive anything, but my irons and putting were amazing.

Shot 120 yesterday, 107 today. Improvement. My driving was way better yesterday but I couldnt Iron or putt for anything. Today I couldn't drive anything, but my irons and putting were amazing.
It's always that way. Something good, something bad.

I played four match play rounds over the weekend, so I don't really have scores. It was all up and down, though. First round was good, second was the worst I can remember, third was average, and the last was half and half...imploded on the back 9.

The frustration had me changing things up and losing all ability to hit the ball. I'm gonna have to get back with an instructor and figure some things out.

It's always that way. Something good, something bad.

IT is frustrating but heartening at the same time. My friends I play with are both scratch golfers so it is frustrating watching them play so well but they are very good natured and helpful about it, don't mind I am terrible.

IT is frustrating but heartening at the same time. My friends I play with are both scratch golfers so it is frustrating watching them play so well but they are very good natured and helpful about it, don't mind I am terrible.
You are out there to have fun, always have fun. When you start comparing your game to someone better than you, you will stop having fun, trust me.

You want to know the best part about being the skill level we are? We can still find joy in a decent shot. Sometimes when I am playing with good players, and they smoke a shot that I would be beaming over, it just frustrates them. At those times, oddly enough, I am kind of relieved about my mediocrity.

You are out there to have fun, always have fun. When you start comparing your game to someone better than you, you will stop having fun, trust me.

You want to know the best part about being the skill level we are? We can still find joy in a decent shot. Sometimes when I am playing with good players, and they smoke a shot that I would be beaming over, it just frustrates them. At those times, oddly enough, I am kind of relieved about my mediocrity.

+1 That's what handicaps are for, allows competition for different skill levels. I don't ever compare myself to the other people I play with, and almost never play competitive rounds. I go out and enjoy the game with my friends, better than me, worse than me doesn't matter.

Welp... I'm licking my wounds tonight. Just haven't got out enough this year. Shot a 107 early this year and was thinking "this is greatness, I'm finally making progress toward my goal." Followed it up with a blistering 120+ and then three weeks ago shot a 117 or so. Yuck. Some bad golf in there. Then life got super busy and I didn't get to the range or play regular rounds like I wanted to because ... I coordinate and host a tournament. Yup. Me. For a bunch of guys who know each other through church and church events. We play a little tourney out at Tour 18. Two day, individual stroke play.

Talk about brutal. It's just for fun and everyone had fun. But I shot 129 yesterday and followed that up with a fabulous 123. Lots of painfully bad and super frustrating golf in those two rounds. Tour 18 ain't easy but I made a mess out of a a lot of holes. Lots of snow men and double pars (which means you have to pick up). To understand how bad it was on both days I made a par and still shot 120's! It was golf at its worst. If someone driving by had said "what you take for your clubs?" I'd said "I'll give you ten bucks to take'em!" Just ugly. And of course, with a bunch of my friends. I was, literally, the absolute worse golfer there by 15 strokes. Nice!

To make it worse, a bunch of those guys only golf in these sort of things. "I haven't hit a lick in six months" says a guy who goes out and whines about shooting 105. One guy plays with Goodwill store mismatched clubs and has the home made swing and grip to go with it... better than me by 20 strokes.

There's lots of good in golf. Got to be with some good friends, and I did have fun. Hit some good shots too, but hit a ton of cover-your-eyes shots too. It's supposed to be about fun and it was a fun day but it's not great to be at the bottom looking up. I don't know. It's got to be at least a little better or I'm going to have to seriously consider this golf thing. I'm frustrated with golf tonight!

Ohh I am not frustrated with the game! I have seen continuous improvement, I am very happy!

And as you said it is more fun because any shot that gets in the air and goes straight makes me happy, my friends get upset about yardage and all.

BEsides I find golf to be relaxing after a long day at work.

Welp... I'm licking my wounds tonight. Just haven't got out enough this year. Shot a 107 early this year and was thinking "this is greatness, I'm finally making progress toward my goal." Followed it up with a blistering 120+ and then three weeks ago shot a 117 or so. Yuck. Some bad golf in there. Then life got super busy and I didn't get to the range or play regular rounds like I wanted to because ... I coordinate and host a tournament. Yup. Me. For a bunch of guys who know each other through church and church events. We play a little tourney out at Tour 18. Two day, individual stroke play.

Talk about brutal. It's just for fun and everyone had fun. But I shot 129 yesterday and followed that up with a fabulous 123. Lots of painfully bad and super frustrating golf in those two rounds. Tour 18 ain't easy but I made a mess out of a a lot of holes. Lots of snow men and double pars (which means you have to pick up). To understand how bad it was on both days I made a par and still shot 120's! It was golf at its worst. If someone driving by had said "what you take for your clubs?" I'd said "I'll give you ten bucks to take'em!" Just ugly. And of course, with a bunch of my friends. I was, literally, the absolute worse golfer there by 15 strokes. Nice!

To make it worse, a bunch of those guys only golf in these sort of things. "I haven't hit a lick in six months" says a guy who goes out and whines about shooting 105. One guy plays with Goodwill store mismatched clubs and has the home made swing and grip to go with it... better than me by 20 strokes.

There's lots of good in golf. Got to be with some good friends, and I did have fun. Hit some good shots too, but hit a ton of cover-your-eyes shots too. It's supposed to be about fun and it was a fun day but it's not great to be at the bottom looking up. I don't know. It's got to be at least a little better or I'm going to have to seriously consider this golf thing. I'm frustrated with golf tonight!

Geez, man...we must be kindred spirits or something. My golf weekend with buddies was similarly frustrating. I just couldn't seem to hit the ball for two of my four rounds. I hung in with an 18 handicap in match play for nine holes (I was up one after nine), but then lost the next six. I'm coming to the realization that the majority of my problems are mental. That's even more frustrating than just being terrible.

Geez, man...we must be kindred spirits or something. My golf weekend with buddies was similarly frustrating. I just couldn't seem to hit the ball for two of my four rounds. I hung in with an 18 handicap in match play for nine holes (I was up one after nine), but then lost the next six. I'm coming to the realization that the majority of my problems are mental. That's even more frustrating than just being terrible.

I have soooooo many thoughts during a swing. where's my shoulder? is my grip too tight? what about that knee - why is it flexing? all of which destroy just a natural swing. #frustrating

I know this feeling because this has been me for the last week. I've never been good, but I feel like I'm playing some of the worst golf ever. Every shot lately has been topped or sliced or any other variation of horrible. That said, I know now isn't the time to quit but to hang in there because it will (has to) get better.

Hang in there BuckeyeMark and I'm confident it will all turn around for both you and me.

Mark, here is what Dr. Hamfist, your unpaid golf instructor and sport psychologist recommends: grab your 7-iron, and your putter, and play nine holes with just them. Then, report back on how you did. Yes, I'm serious. In fact, I would like to do an experiment with all of us doing the same thing, and reporting back their findings. (Scores, observations on their swings, and overall feeling about the round.) i think it woulb be a really good topic for discussion. I won't be able to this week, but will try to do it by next weekend.

Here's the parameters: it has to be on a regular course, so no executive courses. Only 7-iron and putter allowed.

Anyone interested?

Not knowing where you lost strokes it's hard to help, but hamfist is right gotta keep the ball in front of you. One thing you gotta do to shoot lower is avoid adding extra strokes because you try to force hitting a club or clubs that your struggling with. Sometimes you gotta layup with a club you know you can hit well to eliminate making things worse.

Mark, here is what Dr. Hamfist, your unpaid golf instructor and sport psychologist recommends: grab your 7-iron, and your putter, and play nine holes with just them. Then, report back on how you did. Yes, I'm serious. In fact, I would like to do an experiment with all of us doing the same thing, and reporting back their findings. (Scores, observations on their swings, and overall feeling about the round.) i think it woulb be a really good topic for discussion. I won't be able to this week, but will try to do it by next weekend.

Here's the parameters: it has to be on a regular course, so no executive courses. Only 7-iron and putter allowed.

Anyone interested?
Do it with Hybrid, 7 iron, SW, putter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back