Canadan for Tadashi #SwingTips

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello old friend. Let's chat a bit about my 8 iron move. Numbers are really good, hovering over the 160 mark which is more than golden. Here's what I've been working on;

- Shortening the backswing a bit: I think going to far back has simulated a bit of a cast early and I want to remove it altogether
- Getting the hands forward at address - Too much of a "V" going on
- Getting my weight into the back leg rather than loading up front - The early move has been a nice trigger because I can't seem to rotate during the backswing
- I had a bit of a loop at the top - Looks like it's all but gone with a tiny move underneath which I can play it seems
- Keeping the back leg bent even a little bit - Straight leg has plagued me for years
--- Curious if you see anything else that would help overall

Edit: GoPro swing vids are awesome. Switch to 1080p for the pinkest of pink and whitest of white.

Interesting swing, I would recommend you switch to being left handed and soon

You have a great swing Dan! When I was teaching back in the day, having a student at your level was a dream to work with!

Giving yourself more forward press at set up will only have an effect if you keep it though impact. However, you're loosing wrist hinge before you club makes it back to parallel on the way to impact position. If I was you're Coach, I'd be working on a drill to keep that longer, where the angle of screen shot 1 and screen shot 2 are closer to 90 degrees with the front arm and club. Then the lag you have in screen shot 3 is closer to what we would see in screen shot 4 into impact position.

I'd kill for that swing!

You have a great swing Dan! When I was teaching back in the day, having a student at your level was a dream to work with!

Giving yourself more forward press at set up will only have an effect if you keep it though impact. However, you're loosing wrist hinge before you club makes it back to parallel on the way to impact position. If I was you're Coach, I'd be working on a drill to keep that longer, where the angle of screen shot 1 and screen shot 2 are closer to 90 degrees with the front arm and club. Then the lag you have in screen shot 3 is closer to what we would see in screen shot 4 into impact position.

Yeah, I know that move well. it's a big part of why I am trying to reduce the backswing because I believe the hands over extend and are forced to 'whip' back more than anything else. Believe it or not, it used to be way worse. A year and a half ago I was hitting my 7 about 140-145 and casting crazy hard.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Oh man I forgot about that video. A lefty you are not sir

I maintain the results would have been better without Gary McWard yammering in my backswing.

Yeah that's the excuse we'll go with. Not because you're just not left handed.

Shortening the backswing a bit: I think going to far back has simulated a bit of a cast early and I want to remove it altogether

I think if we get that right elbow tucked a bit more it will shorten the over swing you have. Towel or glove under arm will help with this.

- Getting the hands forward at address - Too much of a "V" going on

You want to hit down on the ball more?

- Getting my weight into the back leg rather than loading up front - The early move has been a nice trigger because I can't seem to rotate during the backswing

Swing into the instep of the right leg. Flex the inner quad just before you swing. Keep this feeling through out the back swing

- I had a bit of a loop at the top - Looks like it's all but gone with a tiny move underneath which I can play it seems

You take the club back shut with a flying elbow. You flatten it on the down swing to adjust. The rerouted actually squares the club as you deliver it to the ball

- Keeping the back leg bent even a little bit - Straight leg has plagued me for years

I'd rather see you drive that right knee down toward the ball on the downswing. The tension in the inner thigh will take care of the right knee flex

--- Curious if you see anything else that would help overall

What I see is a solid ball striker looking to get better. Sweeping changes are not needed. Just a push here and nudge there. I have more to show you after I put the kids to bed.

Such a nice easy swing. I'm hoping I get there one day. But I get over the ball with the intention of smooth and easy, and as soon as I take the club back my brain switches to KILL! lol

But yeah, elbow position and lag through impact are the only thing I see that I'd even attempt to mess with. Other than that, I have swing envy.

Freddie, let's talk about the elbow. Obviously different versions of the swing below, but interested that Couples and Els are the closest to my move.

What kind of change comes from a quieter right elbow around the body? Does that make it easier to get back into the zone coming down and through?

43c84f16c94a7bec379769e1f77f8951.jpg

I like seeing you work on your swing Canadan! Inspires me to continue to push myself.

It's a never ending journey! That is, if you have as much talent as you have!

I just took a bunch of swings out on the lawn trying everything i could to keep the right elbow tighter to the body and it was definitely interesting.

I'll be back on the range tomorrow probably. The towel will be going with me haha

I just look at your still again and you have a reverse pivot at the top of your swing. The pivot is exaggerating the flying elbow. Get that turn over the right instep, keep elbow a bit tighter and I think you'll find a quicker club thur the zone.

To answer your question the elbow stays close to get you more connected. There is some separation but what I see with you is a bit too much.

Look at all those guys with exception of Freddy, their clubs are short of parallel. Freddy had his own swing and his tempo saved him. If he tried to get after it he would be all over the map. But one thin these guys all do well is drive the legs and hips to get the swing started. Your legs and hips are passive by comparison.

Me too. I have the same thing going on in my swing

its a never ending battle for me and feel is always different from what is really going on. Every time I feel like I'm shot in the swing it's longer than I feel but lately it's not as long but still longer than I want.

So much yes...and more solid pointers. Good stuff!

Edit: GoPro swing vids are awesome.

They are great!
I bought the Sony version of Go Pro just for my golf.
The only thing is the damn fisheye (very obvious in the vids)
I had to buy a different lens to get a normal view.
Nice swing though!

"You're never too good to get better"

You set a good example for us. Thanks for letting us see your process.

Freddie, let's talk about the elbow. Obviously different versions of the swing below, but interested that Couples and Els are the closest to my move.

What kind of change comes from a quieter right elbow around the body? Does that make it easier to get back into the zone coming down and through?

43c84f16c94a7bec379769e1f77f8951.jpg
I had a flying right elbow as a kid, and my ball striking got way more consistent once I learned to keep it in.

Since then, Ive come believe that keeping that elbow tucked and in line (generally anyway) with the left arm, shaft, and clubface allows you to engage the lower body more and more efficiently transfer the kinetic energy we build in our backswing to the ball at impact.

I can show you pics of what I mean later, if you want.

Back