Lower Back Pain Only When Playing Golf

raggedymike

Reaction score
Handicap
Outside the occasional twinge, I have not have back problems for many years. I integrated back extensions into my exercise routine many years ago and never stopped doing them (I credit them with solving my back related problems). However, when playing golf (which I do more often now that I am retired) I get pain on the left side of my lower back (I am right handed). The pain feels muscular in nature. It is worst when I go to the driving range. Generally I don't get more than a small bucket of balls as it gets more and more uncomfortable. When actually playing golf it just gets slowly worse. It is not enough to keep me from playing 18, but my playing for the last 2 or 3 holes always suffers. I am taking lessons and I will ask my pro about it, but do any of you folks have a similar situation and what did you do about it?

Google "the SI whisperer".

It could be something easy to fix, good exercises for strengthening the lower back.

I get lower back pain for sure, especially if I am not stretching enough. Has a lot to do with that hip rotation and transition I am sure.

What helps me is stretching, and LOTS of it. Even Yoga if you're so inclined. Anything to get your torso accepting of greater flexibility makes a huge difference.

Stretching my hamstrings really helps keep the lower back from getting wonky.

Golf is bad for your back period. Just ask Tiger and countless other pros.

I have similar issues with my lower left side. I've since adjusted my posture and stance from a squat position to a more neutral tall standing position, this helped me rotate and clear my hips better without straining it too much.

Best way to get it to stop hurting is to stop playing golf...sorry, couldn't resist LOL

A good friend of mine is have some bad back pains too. He's seeing a doctor now, who's also a golfer, who suggested he make a swing change to take tension off of the torque. The way he explained it to me was a swing like Fred Couples uses...outside takeaway then dropping into the slot, all in one fluid motion. Makes sense to me...

Having suffered from back issues myself I feel your pain (literally)

Range sessions used to be the worst for me because you are usually hitting more balls in a shorter space of time, so you spend a lot of time addressing the ball which means you are slightly bent over and putting some stress on the muscles in your lower back, whereas on a course you have the walking between shots (assuming you walk) which helps to stretch the back. Riding probably isn't the best way to go as you are sitting down between shots and putting other stresses on your back

I combat my problem with daily stretching and it definitely helps - I played 36 holes in 2 days last week and had to carry my bag for the second 18 and I was surprised to find I lasted the rounds okay. Admittedly I did have a swim and jacuzzi the evening after the first round. I suffered more when I got home but I put that down to the 3+ hour drive home after the second round

Stretch, but there are also many specific stretches and training activities that can help for specific issues. Also, whenever my back is sore, my first thought is that I need to do more sit ups. The core is a highly connected system.

I had my own discomfort in my back due to playing but it's gone due to a tweak in my swing. I worked on my left footwork on my downswing.

I realized that I wasn't allowing my downswing to follow through, that I was braking on my swing even before impact, which wasn't efficient and wasn't good for my back.

I do squats and deadlifts for lower back health. No substitute for strong erector spinae.

I do squats and deadlifts for lower back health. No substitute for strong erector spinae.
Yes sir. I add in some good stretching and rolling of the glutes and legs (various muscles) and the lower back pain stays away.

Back