Questions for tall players

Joe Navy

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I am a high handicap golfer, 6'5" in golf shoes. Based on fittings, I am playing my irons 1 up with a 1" ext.

My hybrids are also extended 1" and standard lengths for my woods and driver.

I would like to know how tall players with iron extensions are playing their hybrids and woods? I have been very inconsistent, fat, with my hybrids, and am considering going to standard length. Anyone play with extended woods/driver?

Would like to hear how other tall guys are set up. Cheers!

adce4de21eae47c6c8e4cd0ed0db8426.jpg

6'5" here. Back in the day I use to play my irons 1.5" over std and my woods 1" over standard.

Now, my irons are 0.75" over standard. I play my driver at 45", which is about 1/2" under standard for a lot of the new drivers out there. My FW and hybrids are all standard length. I find that stock is plenty long on the FW and Hybrids.

6'2" here and I was fit to 1" long in the irons but standard length with the woods and hybrids.

6-4 here and I was fit to 3/4" long and 2°s upright. It varies from player to player.

I'm 6'3" and by measurement should still have standard length irons (it's based on more than just height). I was fit a half inch long based on my actual swing for irons for a variety of reasons. I still use standard length woods and hybrids though.

6'2" was fitted +1", but play standard length on irons/hybrids and 43.25 on driver and woods. The +1 had me feeling way upright, so adjusted down.

I am 6'3" and I have always had longer irons (+1 inch). But that's because I have short arms apparently :) A Ping fitter told me that I was actually more between half an inch and an inch extra based on the length between the top of my wrists and the floor. I have standard lengths for woods/rescue.
So it's not just about how tall you are.

Driver length: 45.25"
7W: 42"
3W: 43"
Rescue: 39"

Last edited:
I'm 6'5" and play my irons at 1' over and 2* up form standard Callaway specs. My driver and hybrids are stock length, driver being 45.5"

One thing to consider and I've gone both ways on this are your wedges if you don't order them with your irons. Say your irons are 5-A wedge, and you order your Gap and SW separately, do you get them the same length over as your irons or stock? To me that's more important than the driver/hybrid. My current wedges are stock length and course I have to bend a bit more, but since I don't take full swings with them, it's not quite as big of an adjustment. But my previous wedges were ordered extra length to match my irons. Just more food for thought.

I'm 6'3" and i got about 1/2" over standard on everything. Irons are 1/2 up

One thing to consider and I've gone both ways on this are your wedges if you don't order them with your irons. Say your irons are 5-A wedge, and you order your Gap and SW separately, do you get them the same length over as your irons or stock? To me that's more important than the driver/hybrid. My current wedges are stock length and course I have to bend a bit more, but since I don't take full swings with them, it's not quite as big of an adjustment. But my previous wedges were ordered extra length to match my irons. Just more food for thought.

I play Callaway irons and Titleist wedges. When I ordered my wedges, I went with the same specs from my iron fitting, 1up, 1over. I am satisfied with those specs and love hitting my 60. My iron/wedge setup is 6-PW, 52/56/60.

6'4" irons are +1/2 and 2 up from titleist and +3/4 and 2 up from Mizuno. Wedges are +1/2 and standard lie. Hybrids and 3 wood are standard length. Driver is just over 45". For my irons I have spec sheet from a old set of Titleist irons and build everything to that spec. 2 up gets them close and then I bend them from there.

6'5" old guy here. Irons are based on a 37.5" 7 iron with 1/2 inch increments up and down thru 9i; Play PW at 36.25 and all other wedges at 36.

All hybrids and driver are standard length. I do not carry a Fairway Wood. FWIW, my hybrids are pretty decent part of game and if I started lengthening would kind of defeat purpose (for me) of keeping 'em tight and controllable; at an inch over I'd be thinking - why not a fairway wood; if that makes any sense.

6'2" - I play my irons +1 length, 3* upright.
Driver (when fitted) was 46". Usually I just use stock shaft length.
3w and hybrids are all standard length.

6'3"+
My irons were +1/2" and 2* upright after being fitted

Maybe a year after buying those irons, I started using some used irons (regular length and 1* flat). I hit those irons better (they have now been my gamers for the last 6 months).

My driver is also off the rack.

I should probably go back and get re-fit.
My swing has changed dramatically over the 18 months since I was fit for my new irons.
I was changing my swing so much when I was new, I don't even think it was worthwhile for me to get fit.

Extensions also might effect how the shaft performs.

6'5" +1" and +3 on my irons.

Driver length is standard.

3W is standard too.

4h is +.50

I'm 6'2", Ping uses a hand to floor measurement that put me +1/2 ",1 degree upright. I like that, you can always choke down a fraction if its more comfortable. Was disappointed with a recent fitting at Club Champion and they didn't measure for that. Everybody has different arm/leg length ratio so one size doesn't fit all.

I'm 6'2", Ping uses a hand to floor measurement that put me +1/2 ",1 degree upright. I like that, you can always choke down a fraction if its more comfortable. Was disappointed with a recent fitting at Club Champion and they didn't measure for that. Everybody has different arm/leg length ratio so one size doesn't fit all.

Good to know! I'm the same and that's what I ended up with. I choke down a little and so far my G irons have been perfect.

Appreciate all of the replies on this thread. Had all of my hybrids converted back to standard length, and pleased with the results. Now considering taking my drivers down 0.5-1.0".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Started with 1 over years ago... Tried it again recently. Reordered after about a month and I'm playing 0.5" over and 3* up on 4-AW and all wedges. My hybrid is. 0.5" over but my driver is standard, all Callaway. I'm 6'4".

I'm 6'3" and got fit for my irons - turns out I'm a standard length/loft/lie guy.

I'm about 6'3 tops. Played irons and wedges 1/2 inch long and 1 up for a few years before taking on my writer position. Now I just play everything stock length.

Great photo from the OP!!!!

I'm 6'1" and have played +1" for several years, as well as Standard for several years. I'm currently playing everything Standard but with a driver at just under 44". For me, I have more control with standard length.

6'2" here and I have been playing standard since day one. Maybe I have acclimated but I find it to be right and feel right with the swing and stance. Although I do find it hard to hit my hybrid like a 7i like most people say, so I have an awkward hybrid swing. I can easily tell if I get too close or too far from the ball because I will top or fat hit.

6'3" here - play my irons up 1/2 or 1/4. Non-dynamic fitting says I'm standard length but dynamic fitting puts me a touch over on length.

The hybrids, woods, and driver are all standard for me. It just works out for some reason.

Unrelated to club length, but just reading this thread, THP could have a helluva pick-up basketball team.

Back