lanoxrehab

Reaction score
Handicap
I just got back from Cancun and golfed at El Tinto course designed by Nick Price. Nice, lush course, cut out of the jungle. I was told by one of my playing partners that the grass was called bent grass.

Hated putting on it as it was slow and unpredictable. I missed some putts I should of made, but it probably evened out as I made some I should of missed.

Ever heard of this grass ? Thoughts ?

the greens at my local club are bent. compared to courses I play elsewhere they are fast and smooth.

I play bent and the greens are smooth, true, and perfect prefer it to Bermuda any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely love well maintained Bent greens, to me it’s the most pure putting surface you can ask for. There’s no grain, the grass grows vertically and makes for a smooth consistent putting surface. If it get too shaggy it definitely gets slow and a lot of people that only play on Bermuda greens don’t love it because of that.

Coming from bent grass myself I prefer it over everything else I've played before, mainly because of the reasons above.

Bent grass greens are probably the most common grass used up here in the Northeast. Easy to maintain in any weather conditions, no grain, etc. I've putted on them all my life and probably why I can't putt on Bermuda.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bent greens are my favorite. Smooth and as fast as the course wants them.

Around here most greens are an unholy combination of bent and Poa. I'll take straight bent anyday over that.

A lot of bent here due to weather conditions. So use to it now that I freak out going south and playing Bermuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got back from Cancun and golfed at El Tinto course designed by Nick Price. Nice, lush course, cut out of the jungle. I was told by one of my playing partners that the grass was called bent grass.

Hated putting on it as it was slow and unpredictable. I missed some putts I should of made, but it probably evened out as I made some I should of missed.

Ever heard of this grass ? Thoughts ?

sound like you should have tried rolling and smoking it.:alien:

Bent is the best to putt on when maintained. There is almost no chance they were actually bent as they would on be decent 3 months a year and not in summer. There is a reason ANGC is not open in Summer

Bent is the best to putt on when maintained. There is almost no chance they were actually bent as they would on be decent 3 months a year and not in summer. There is a reason ANGC is not open in Summer

Or if they were bent, they were watered 3x a day to keep them alive. I would be shocked if a course that far south used bent grass, I always heard it was a cooler weather type grass?

Or if they were bent, they were watered 3x a day to keep them alive. I would be shocked if a course that far south used bent grass, I always heard it was a cooler weather type grass?

That also crossed my mind. Bent is generally a cooler climate grass, it survives frost and doesn’t tolerate a ton of heat without a ton of water.

That also crossed my mind. Bent is generally a cooler climate grass, it survives frost and doesn’t tolerate a ton of heat without a ton of water.

I don't know how courses even as far south as SC do it. I can understand ANGC, they can do whatever they have to to keep them alive when they're not being played on for 6-7 months. The rest of the world?

I don't know how courses even as far south as SC do it. I can understand ANGC, they can do whatever they have to to keep them alive when they're not being played on for 6-7 months. The rest of the world?

Even here in southern Illinois they’re constantly watering them throughout the summer. We’re just in a weird spot that we have at least a couple months of frosty mornings so it’s too cold for Bermuda unless they cover them, but it gets hot enough they have to water the hell out of bent.

Even here in southern Illinois they’re constantly watering them throughout the summer. We’re just in a weird spot that we have at least a couple months of frosty mornings so it’s too cold for Bermuda unless they cover them, but it gets hot enough they have to water the hell out of bent.

I've only seen courses here in FL have to cover the greens a handful of times. It's kinda confusing to show up to a course and see tarps out on them.

I've only seen courses here in FL have to cover the greens a handful of times. It's kinda confusing to show up to a course and see tarps out on them.

Those were probably all the times @KEV has been in the state of Florida...

Bent can roll real true. Pretty common around my parts.

Those were probably all the times @KEV has been in the state of Florida...

I'm now required by the state of Florida to give a 48 hour advance notice prior to traveling there so they can prepare the tarps and cart heaters.

I absolutely love well maintained Bent greens, to me it’s the most pure putting surface you can ask for. There’s no grain, the grass grows vertically and makes for a smooth consistent putting surface. If it get too shaggy it definitely gets slow and a lot of people that only play on Bermuda greens don’t love it because of that.

This is exactly how I feel. Not having to figure out grain makes putting way less stressful IMO and you're right, good bent grass greens can roll so nice.

Back