PING nFlight online fitting suggestions

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone actually used this for reference and then actually got fit? I'm just curious how your real life fitting differed or was similar to the online recommendations.

When ever I fill it out out of curiosity it recommends a stiff shaft for me in irons at an extra 1/2" in length. I'm curious if it just recommend a flex upwards in the graphite iron shafts when you add length. I'm not a long hitter by any means and am probably a bit below average on distance so I find it interesting that it recommends stiff for the irons but the soft regular for the woods and hybrids. I agree that the club selections it gave me are what should be appropriate for me and my abilities. The shaft recommendations seem different than what I've experienced from other companies.

Anyone actually used this for reference and then actually got fit? I'm just curious how your real life fitting differed or was similar to the online recommendations.

When ever I fill it out out of curiosity it recommends a stiff shaft for me in irons at an extra 1/2" in length. I'm curious if it just recommend a flex upwards in the graphite iron shafts when you add length. I'm not a long hitter by any means and am probably a bit below average on distance so I find it interesting that it recommends stiff for the irons but the soft regular for the woods and hybrids. I agree that the club selections it gave me are what should be appropriate for me and my abilities. The shaft recommendations seem different than what I've experienced from other companies.

The participants at any internet golf forum will write that "static fitting is just a starting point, you need to get dynamic fit by a reputable fitter".
I disagree with this perspective and believe static fit is the best method for finding the club length and lie angle which will best set a player up to make fundamentally sound swings. After that static fit, a player may take different shafts and club head designs out on the golf course to find out which ones give him/her the best shot results.

The participants at any internet golf forum will write that "static fitting is just a starting point, you need to get dynamic fit by a reputable fitter".
I disagree with this perspective and believe static fit is the best method for finding the club length and lie angle which will best set a player up to make fundamentally sound swings. After that static fit, a player may take different shafts and club head designs out on the golf course to find out which ones give him/her the best shot results.
Oh I get the concept of fitting. I'm just curious about Ping's philosophy in their online recommendations and how it differs from other companies and their fitting model. I've never had anyone actually recommend a stiff shaft to me before but I've also never actually been fit for Ping clubs before either. I'm really curious to how they make recommendations around their shaft options. If I choose steel, it recommends an R flex shaft. If I choose graphite, it recommends the Alta stiff. Is it something about the profile of their specific shafts that they believe triggers that as a better recommendation to start with?

Oh I get the concept of fitting. I'm just curious about Ping's philosophy in their online recommendations and how it differs from other companies and their fitting model. I've never had anyone actually recommend a stiff shaft to me before but I've also never actually been fit for Ping clubs before either. I'm really curious to how they make recommendations around their shaft options. If I choose steel, it recommends an R flex shaft. If I choose graphite, it recommends the Alta stiff. Is it something about the profile of their specific shafts that they believe triggers that as a better recommendation to start with?

At Ping's online fit program you have input carry yardages , and from that the software is recommending a shaft flex. Regarding shaft flex and, or, shaft design profile/characteristics the best method for fitting is taking the shafts out on a golf course and playing a round of golf or two with same.

At Ping's online fit program you have input carry yardages , and from that the software is recommending a shaft flex. Regarding shaft flex and, or, shaft design profile/characteristics the best method for fitting is taking the shafts out on a golf course and playing a round of golf or two with same.

So to my point, as a player who hits shorter than average distances and is being recommended for a stiff shaft, what is Ping’s method to their madness in recommending a stiff graphite shaft for a short hitter? What type of hitter do they recommend the soft regular shaft? Does it just come down to the fact that their program isn’t that good or do they have specific reasoning?

I fully understand that a good fitting needs to happen in person with real world testing. I’m mainly just asking out of curiosity how many people had used the online fitting as a guide and then got fit in real life and wondered how similar or different their end results were to their starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So to my point, as a player who hits shorter than average distances and is being recommended for a stiff shaft, what is Ping’s method to their madness in recommending a stiff graphite shaft for a short hitter? What type of hitter do they recommend the soft regular shaft? Does it just come down to the fact that their program isn’t that good or do they have specific reasoning?

I fully understand that a good fitting needs to happen in person with real world testing. I’m mainly just asking out of curiosity how many people had used the online fitting as a guide and then got fit in real life and wondered how similar or different their end results were to their starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again, if the player inputs accurate height and wrist to floor measurements then Ping's online program will recommend a length and lie angle (which sets the player up well to make fundamentally sound swings). All of this is good.
Ping's online program for shaft type/flex is dependent on a user inputting accurate carry distance yardages. That's nearly impossible to do because players usually don't know their true carry yardages.For example at internet golf forums it is common for participants to claim they carry a 3-wood 260 yards (which is a longer carry than about 85% of Tour players achieve). Also contributing to false beliefs about carry yardages are course condition factors such as terrain slope, air density and temperature, elevation above sea level and more.
So (after using Ping's program for shaft length and lie angle), rather than use Ping's program for shaft type and flex, or using fit shop services, I recommend taking different shafts to the course and playing a round or two of golf with them.This is the best method to find the shaft (s) that produce for you the best shot results.

Two people can have the same height/wrist-to-floor measurements, but other measurements between joints could be completely different and their swings are a bit different - so there might be some differences in terms of finding an optimum. But, at the end of the day the static fitting should get you something playable assuming you have something near an “average” golf swing in terms of angles.

As for shafts, might be worth looking at TT or KBS’s web fitting on top of that. The one thing nFlight doesn’t ask is a preference on shaft weight, and that’s something I know I’m pretty sensitive to, and a lot of fitters say is the most important thing.

NFlight put me in a regular shaft (though the heavier tour model) at 250 yards average distance, so it might be that they consider the lighter shafts soft to flex? I don’t think weight/flex can be fit online, since that’s all feel.

I play Ping and done an online fitting when I seen this post. I was recommended Ping i210 red dot (I play Red dot) with a 56 and 60 (56 was a SS which is accurate and the 60 TS, I play ES) Driver was G410 Plus (I play Max and can't tell them apart when I hit them) It recommended a 3 wood and the G410 3 and 4H pretty spot on accurate. I disregard shafts because that is a feeling no computer will be able to tell you. Even Mizuno's fancy shaft analyzer gives 3 recommendations.

It's just going off of your 7i carry distance for irons, and driver distance for woods. The fitting app probably thinks that you're hitting your irons comparatively farther than your driver. My online fitting came out the same as my in person fitting with Ping. It did recommend a goofy bag setup.

I'm in the it's close, but a starting point camp. The Ping static fitting charts put me at standard length and 1* flat. I play better at 2* flat from their standard.

The new Mizuno Optimizer that uses Bluetooth and a tablet/app had me at 1* up from their standard (or Ping's standard). I think that is because the shaft they use for the optimizer is soft and bends more, causing excessive toe droop which makes it think I should bend upright. But in the right shaft, which is the X100 it recommends as the #1 choice, I don't get the same amount of toe droop.

Back