Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
Cobh, IE Being in Ireland, I had to find the time to play a round. As it gets unplayable at 10:15pm, there was time for me to sneak in a round with my sons, 17 and 22, and my wife accompanying. The level of welcoming and helpfulness from the patrons and proshop is incredible. They can not help you enough and offer well wishes. We rented carts and clubs and had at it. the course is situated above the harbor with a 360 of the countryside from nearly any hole. the course played 6600 from the blues and 6200 from the whites. Locals walk with electric carts or carry. It would not be a fun walk!!! The opening holes, like 4 or 5 or difficult. narrow fairways, high grasses framing the fairway, small trees all about the sides, rough high enough to hide your ball and a lot of little white flowers! and never a flat lie! The greens, in general, very firm, small to really small, true, not terribly fast. It was difficult to stick a green. I swithed to pro v1 and got better results than the q-star i had been playing. Getting through the opening holes, 2 balls later, I settled down, the course opened up enough and better golf happened. (i find the TM R11 to be the worst driver i have ever played! switched to an older callaway x something and night and day). The views of the surrounding pastures, fields full of animals, hares and fox laying about the course...like the painting you draw in your mind. Thinking of my father in law, a true Irishman and golfer, how full of excitement he would be knowing his daughter and grand sons were here, playing golf, brought a tear to my eye. While no way near a once in a life time course, it was a once in a life time experience. Much laughing, a bit of cursing, and a great time was had.
as an aside we visited Old Head. That looks like a dream course. What a location!!!
If i have the time, i may play again when I get to Kerry

While I didn't play in Cobh, I really enjoyed my visit there. Super nice people.

Sounds like an awesome time!

cobh golf course

Other than RCD many years ago, my fondest golf memory of golf in Ireland was a late evening go out at a little pitch and putt just outside Dingle. The course sits on the waters edge on the west side of town. The lighting as the Sun dropped toward the horizon was awe inspiring. The view of the Harbor, Dingle and the countryside beyond in that “Irish Golden Hour” looked like an Instagram filter. Just Amazing. Those are the travel moments that make this game great. It isn’t always the uber courses that come through with the best memories. Timing and location can turn a local track into an indelible moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killarney kileen course, many time host to the Irish open. Very friendly and accommodating pro shop. They rent out new TM equipment. Beautiful facility set on a lake, aside of some mountainsides. Parkland style golf with people strolling and enjoying the beauty, more or less on the course. More deer on this course than i see birds back home! thick rough, not so tight fairways, small gravel like bunkers aplenty. Water plays a roll on the opening 5 holes. Small greens, hard as slate, can be terribly slow and untrue depending on the grain. The golfers are so nice. At one point i drove right of the fairway seemingly into a cluster of trees. Hit a provisional the same exact spot. Through no fault of my own, i had 3 golfers looking for my balls. I felt so bad. I had to urge them to return to their game, although i barely understood wth they were saying to me. They found both balls, in the rough, right of the fairway, lol. The course did not seem difficult enough to hold an Open Championship. It was pretty scenic and a special experience. Finished playing at 10:20 pm. Love that!

A few shots from the course
1c52f35bcd973aac793870f7332bf252.jpg
3944a68a7e208358000a042fdcbe17ea.jpg
c2d47bd52167f4c9e7dfb7a933eed25a.jpg
a9e315a4c8be4fe88159260d3c36746a.jpg
cc2a8f8c021cfcaa16842cf3fad1e001.jpg
52e4328fd652a75aea77ad3e3c618d8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back