On our round this aft we let two single players and a two some play through. Both singles said we were moving fine but No need to hold them up and we were not in a hurry. It took no time at all for them to clear out. Summer golf here is perfect in the aft not busy and you can enjoy it. The three of us Played in 4 hours even.

I'm not opposed to joining. But, sometimes, it's nice to just get out and get the holes in. Especially when trying to navigate life with kids. If it was a Saturday morning or something, I'd be all for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

People that won’t let u play thru have no regard for their fellow golfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the reason people don't want to let someone thru or a faster group is because they think it slows them down to much. No they have to wait for the group they just let pass to tee off, then get down the fairway and hit there second shot.. So now they are waiting the 7-8 minutes and feel inconvenienced.
I personally have no problem letting a single thru at all, that being said if I let you thru you better keep that pace that had you catching us and not be slow once past us.

Sorry folks for the long post but its a lot to explain for what I think may be questionable scenario as for playthrough.

The above reminds of the one scenario where playing through can Imo be unfair to someone (or his group ahead) being played through. That one scenario is when daylight is in question and I'll explain my view on this.

There are plenty times I will try to play after work later in the day of course. Its important to me to play an entire round or important to at least make sure I have enough time (begin early enough) where as there is plenty time to do so. I know how long the average rounds take at my county courses. So when I know that I will be playing late I make certain to tee off with at least that much time and also if possible an extra 10 mins to allow for a slower than average round. I do this because I simply hate having to rush the golf in order to squeeze it all in. Often I wont even play if Im unable to manage to get to the course and tee off with that comfort zone of finishing 18 without a rush on the golf itself.

But the way I accomplish this is that I make sacrifices and efforts to get to the course early enough for that to take place. I often go out of my way to do it. I intentionally square things up at work very quickly, get home and take care of whatever else with a rushed sense of purpose, cut whatever corners I can , and of course then get to the course as quickly as practical. In other words I am making conscious efforts at rushing and sacrificing my own normal routines and obs and life. Im doing that so that when I get to the course I wont have to play my golf with that same rushed and squeezed mindset. Do it so that I can play a normal round.

But there is a whole world of very late arrivals (mostly singles and some doubles) in the twilight rate window ("x" amount to play what you can)who do show up later knowing the daylight is very much in question and do so with the intention that they will simply play through any groups in their way. The idea of play what you can some how translates into run through all groups. There are times when too many such people show up to do intentionally do just that.

And so here is the scenario that sometimes happen. I (due to making great efforts) manage to get to the course and get out with enough time to comfortably play all 18 without rushed golf and at that time usually am paired with a group to make 3 or often 4some. And so we are off and playing. And within the next short while later begin to show up the late single or double twilight runners whos plan is playing through all groups. Perhaps we (a 4some) are on hole 2 green. So here comes the first Mr late day single and we let him through on 3rd tee (using some of our time). Then perhaps just 2 holes later on hole 5 here comes the even later day speedy double who was 10 minutes behind that first guy. And so on 6 we let them play through (more time of ours spent). Then another even later day twilighter (another... Im playing through the groups so I can sqeeze it all in player) comes along on yet another hole. That's another play through. Then perhaps the next a couple/few holes later, again etc, you get the point.

We are not playing slow but of course not rushing and have (or had) enough time to comfortably play our 18 as normal. Im not making this up. And its not at all always the case but it does happen on given days where just too many of the late day (ill just run through any groups ideology) people show up. They have a life and they have obs and they (as the etiquette suggests) have a right to expect to play through any groups ahead and show up with the intention of doing just that in order to play their 18.

I have had my share of rounds after making the great efforts (gone out of my way to do so) to make sure I am on the course with enough time then go sour because of this. End up beginning comfortable and yet the heavier amount of latest day righteous singles (or also some speedy late day doubles) then causes my group to have to now rush and fight daylight or not finish all 18. The time does add up when allowing a number of playthroughs.

I have a life and obs too and in fact I intentionally placed extra efforts and when out of my way to navigate things in it in order to make my round of golf work so that it wont have to be played in that same rushed mindset. because well. I want to enjoy it. As said if I wasn't able to pull off the arrival time (and that has happened) I have left and went home.

So where/when does this become right or wrong? Where/when does the etiquette of allowing a single or double play through a 4some become wrong. When does the playthrough go from being good etiquette to being something one abuses? I mean show up very late with the intention and idea that you have a right to play through groups and is how you are going to play your 18. But when there are several ( a few too many) of such people doing this with the same intent , it then can and has caused groups who were perfectly fine time wise and daylight wise to now get in a situation they intentionally made sure they wouldn't be in the first place. There is imo a lot of unfairness about this scenario.

I (if being in a 4some) have never refused a single from playing through ever. Ive never refused a speedy 2some from playing through (though dosnt happen much) . But what I have had happen (a bit rarer but does happen) on some those later day rounds when just too many the speedy twilighters show up with intent to run through as though no one else counts is that I have ended up suffering the very thing I went out of my way to avoid in the first place. I mean as a group we are suppose to let them through right? but when does it become unfair? When does the group have its right to finish and do so without rushing when they teed off at a time where daylight shouldn't be an issue but now it can become one? Are those latest day singles (or some doubles) so correct here with their intended plan to run through any groups so that they themselves can finish without concern? Is it correct that this comes at the sacrifice of a groups right to comfortably play the round before dark without having to now rush or possibly even not finish? really just an honest question as to just when is it always correct or not?

Last edited:
Sorry folks for the long post but its a lot to explain for what I think may be questionable scenario as for playthrough.

The above reminds of the one scenario where playing through can Imo be unfair to someone (or his group ahead) being played through. That one scenario is when daylight is in question and I'll explain my view on this.

There are plenty times I will try to play after work later in the day of course. Its important to me to play an entire round or important to at least make sure I have enough time (begin early enough) where as there is plenty time to do so. I know how long the average rounds take at my county courses. So when I know that I will be playing late I make certain to tee off with at least that much time and also if possible an extra 10 mins to allow for a slower than average round. I do this because I simply hate having to rush the golf in order to squeeze it all in. Often I wont even play if Im unable to manage to get to the course and tee off with that comfort zone of finishing 18 without a rush on the golf itself.

But the way I accomplish this is that I make sacrifices and efforts to get to the course early enough for that to take place. I often go out of my way to do it. I intentionally square things up at work very quickly, get home and take care of whatever else with a rushed sense of purpose, cut whatever corners I can , and of course then get to the course as quickly as practical. In other words I am making conscious efforts at rushing and sacrificing my own normal routines and obs and life. Im doing that so that when I get to the course I wont have to play my golf with that same rushed and squeezed mindset. Do it so that I can play a normal round.

But there is a whole world of very late arrivals (mostly singles and some doubles) in the twilight rate window ("x" amount to play what you can)who do show up later knowing the daylight is very much in question and do so with the intention that they will simply play through any groups in their way. The idea of play what you can some how translates into run through all groups. There are times when too many such people show up to do intentionally do just that.

And so here is the scenario that sometimes happen. I (due to making great efforts) manage to get to the course and get out with enough time to comfortably play all 18 without rushed golf and at that time usually am paired with a group to make 3 or often 4some. And so we are off and playing. And within the next short while later begin to show up the late single or double twilight runners whos plan is playing through all groups. Perhaps we (a 4some) are on hole 2 green. So here comes the first Mr late day single and we let him through on 3rd tee (using some of our time). Then perhaps just 2 holes later on hole 5 here comes the even later day speedy double who was 10 minutes behind that first guy. And so on 6 we let them play through (more time of ours spent). Then another even later day twilighter (another... Im playing through the groups so I can sqeeze it all in player) comes along on yet another hole. That's another play through. Then perhaps the next a couple/few holes later, again etc, you get the point.

We are not playing slow but of course not rushing and have (or had) enough time to comfortably play our 18 as normal. Im not making this up. And its not at all always the case but it does happen on given days where just too many of the late day (ill just run through any groups ideology) people show up. They have a life and they have obs and they (as the etiquette suggests) have a right to expect to play through any groups ahead and show up with the intention of doing just that in order to play their 18.

I have had my share of rounds after making the great efforts (gone out of my way to do so) to make sure I am on the course with enough time then go sour because of this. End up beginning comfortable and yet the heavier amount of latest day righteous singles (or also some speedy late day doubles) then causes my group to have to now rush and fight daylight or not finish all 18. The time does add up when allowing a number of playthroughs.

I have a life and obs too and in fact I intentionally placed extra efforts and when out of my way to navigate things in it in order to make my round of golf work so that it wont have to be played in that same rushed mindset. because well. I want to enjoy it. As said if I wasn't able to pull off the arrival time (and that has happened) I have left and went home.

So where/when does this become right or wrong? Where/when does the etiquette of allowing a single or double play through a 4some become wrong. When does the playthrough go from being good etiquette to being something one abuses? I mean show up very late with the intention and idea that you have a right to play through groups and is how you are going to play your 18. But when there are several ( a few too many) of such people doing this with the same intent , it then can and has caused groups who were perfectly fine time wise and daylight wise to now get in a situation they intentionally made sure they wouldn't be in the first place. There is imo a lot of unfairness about this scenario.

I (if being in a 4some) have never refused a single from playing through ever. Ive never refused a speedy 2some from playing through (though dosnt happen much) . But what I have had happen (a bit rarer but does happen) on some those later day rounds when just too many the speedy twilighters show up with intent to run through as though no one else counts is that I have ended up suffering the very thing I went out of my way to avoid in the first place. I mean as a group we are suppose to let them through right? but when does it become unfair? When does the group have its right to finish and do so without rushing when they teed off at a time where daylight shouldn't be an issue but now it can become one? Are those latest day singles (or some doubles) so correct here with their intended plan to run through any groups so that they themselves can finish without concern? Is it correct that this comes at the sacrifice of a groups right to comfortably play the round before dark without having to now rush or possibly even not finish? really just an honest question as to just when is it always correct or not?
If your group has kept up with the group in front, then the approaching group has no right to expect accommodation as to pass.

But if not, they should be allowed to pass. Open hole(s) in front of you just waiting to be played? IMO, there's no good reason not to let other groups through.

Your planning and rationalization/frustration as to why this negatively affects you is understandable. But effectively slowing a faster group or groups is not, imo.

Faster groups, when room in front allows, should be allowed to play through. Whether 8 AM, 1 PM or 7:30 PM, I personally don't recognize there being any difference.

If your group has kept up with the group in front, then the approaching group has no right to expect accommodation as to pass.

But if not, they should be allowed to pass. Open hole(s) in front of you just waiting to be played? IMO, there's no good reason not to let other groups through.

Your planning and rationalization/frustration as to why this negatively affects you is understandable. But effectively slowing a faster group or groups is not, imo.

Faster groups, when room in front allows, should be allowed to play through. Whether 8 AM, 1 PM or 7:30 PM, I personally don't recognize there being any difference.

Well. there are imo a couple differences in what I explained from a normal circumstance. The biggest difference is the clear intent of those said late day runners to play with the intention of playing through all groups. To me there in possibly lies a selfish abuse of the etiquette because it selfishly sacrifices the group who began playing with enough time to get done. That imo does matter too. They have a right to not be delayed to the point where that becomes an issue. Thast what can sometimes happen on those days where there are a lot of those late day runners. I think that situation does warrant some questioning as for just how correct or not it all might be.

Well. there are imo a couple differences in what I explained from a normal circumstance. The biggest difference is the clear intent of those said late day runners to play with the intention of playing through all groups. To me there in possibly lies a selfish abuse of the etiquette because it selfishly sacrifices the group who began playing with enough time to get done. That imo does matter too. They have a right to not be delayed to the point where that becomes an issue. Thast what can sometimes happen on those days where there are a lot of those late day runners. I think that situation does warrant some questioning as for just how correct or not it all might be.

But you're choosing to play at a time when others, late day runners or whatever they may be, will be prevalent. And you're choosing to elevate your reasons for playing at that time and at a pace and manner in which you prefer to play over theirs. Perhaps some may have an equally compelling reason for their chosen time and style of play?

Regardless, the deciding factor imo is the state of play ahead of your group. If there's an open hole or more, it's just my opinion that there's no justifiable reason to hold up play behind you, ever. Any assumption as to their intentions is effectively rendered moot if there's room available in front of your group.

Again, 8 AM or 8 PM... no difference.

Was stuck behind a 3 ball on saturday from hole 7 onwards. There was no one in front of them for the rest of the day, tried to start a conversation on hole 11 to get me through but I got blanked.
Seriously I just don't know what it is with some people, I was happy I took some extra water and I booked a table at a fancy restaurant for wifes birthday whilst playing, also applied to a few jobs and rang my dad. God it was slow

If I'm in the slow group I prefer to wave people up on a par three or up to the green on other holes. Seems to be less disruptive for all involved because we can start the putting/chipping dance while the faster player(s) make their way up to the green. Amazing how hard it can sometimes be to get that done as many people don't pay attention and/or don't expect to play through in that manner.

If I'm the faster player(s) I appreciate whatever opportunity offered. If it's not offered, I'm playing as a single and the gap in front of the slower group is big enough I will just skip ahead a hole or two and keep on going.....

A lot of people talk about skipping ahead. Would you skip ahead if you were a visitor to the course and only get to play once a week? Or would you wait it out

Playing Through

So does your group just stop playing until they pass through? Or do you play up with them. Usually when I play through or someone plays through my group we are playing up with them. We might lose 3 minutes. Yes, they may have to navigate 4 other balls on the green, but it’s the price of playing through. It’s sounds like a deep breath, and a cold beer may help solve your problem.

A lot of people talk about skipping ahead. Would you skip ahead if you were a visitor to the course and only get to play once a week? Or would you wait it out
Skipping is not ideal for me. If you have room to skip a hole and go through, that means the group you skipped should have let you through. But, if skipping a hole saves me hours of my life, I don't feel as bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I rarely get a chance to play a wide open golf course but don't have issue with letting a single pass. I'd say 50% of time in last three years the guys who insist on passing do so on a crowded course and eventually cause me time. I guess this leads me to a small rant.

at what time does my need to pass basically say my time and my game is more important then those that I pass. It also makes the group that is passed look slower to those that would come up behind potentially a few holes later.

a few weeks ago, a couple asked me for a lesson on the range. After I talked to them about the motion they are trying to make, I talked to them about how to play a full size course (they were currently playing 9 hole courses). I suggested they pick up and advance if they feel pressure. They are playing for fun and no reason to have people behind you putting pressure.

I rarely get a chance to play a wide open golf course but don't have issue with letting a single pass. I'd say 50% of time in last three years the guys who insist on passing do so on a crowded course and eventually cause me time. I guess this leads me to a small rant.

at what time does my need to pass basically say my time and my game is more important then those that I pass. It also makes the group that is passed look slower to those that would come up behind potentially a few holes later.

a few weeks ago, a couple asked me for a lesson on the range. After I talked to them about the motion they are trying to make, I talked to them about how to play a full size course (they were currently playing 9 hole courses). I suggested they pick up and advance if they feel pressure. They are playing for fun and no reason to have people behind you putting pressure.

Technically there should be a hole between the slow group , and the 2nd group coming from behind. If there is not, a ranger should be pushing the slow group because they have created a bottle neck, and slowed the whole course down.

About 3 weeks ago, my foursome got stuck behind some slow pokes for the last 4 holes of the front 9. We contemplated skipping ahead to the 10th or just asking for a voucher for the second nine. We stuck it out and they finally let us through on the 10th tee.

I would've jumped ahead if thats what everyone else wanted to do, but thats not something I prefer to do.

The scenario you described would completely depend on if there were open holes ahead. 1 person "zipping around" by themselves should NOT expect to play through multiple larger groups if there were no open holes.

I am out playing today in the course is really empty. However I am behind this for some that has absolutely no desire to let me through. They have looked at me multiple times and not made an offer. I hate those type of golfers.

I am out playing today in the course is really empty. However I am behind this for some that has absolutely no desire to let me through. They have looked at me multiple times and not made an offer. I hate those type of golfers.

You walking? If not, just drive on by giving them a slight nod. Save yourself the frustration.

You walking? If not, just drive on by giving them a slight nod. Save yourself the frustration.

That's what I would do. Drive by in a cart , or if I was walking I would walk past them.

I ended up doing that. Now I think I’m even in more frustrating of a situation. There are two singles that refuse to play with me or anyone else. We are now in a point with no where to go and they would rather hit and wait than play as a 3 some.

A Marshall is desperately needed.

I ended up doing that. Now I think I’m even in more frustrating of a situation. There are two singles that refuse to play with me or anyone else. We are now in a point with no where to go and they would rather hit and wait than play as a 3 some.

A Marshall is desperately needed.

Earlier you wrote that the course was "really empty".
What happened ?

What happened ?

I ran into a similar situation yesterday. When I came up on the group that were running, I didn't even know they were on the course until I caught up to them.

What happened ?

First 9 no one on the course. Back nine is stacked. We caught up to the others.

Just sitting under a tree chilling now to make the best of it.

First 9 no one on the course. Back nine is stacked. We caught up to the others.

So , ahead of you are foursomes, then a single, another single, and then you?
If that's the case I would just try and accept the situation, make the best of it.

So , ahead of you are foursomes, then a single, another single, and then you?
If that's the case I would just try and accept the situation, make the best of it.

That is all I am doing now. It would have been nice for pace of play for me and the other two singles to pair up. What cracks me up is the one single one for me is all pissed off because of how slow things are moving now. He doesn’t realize that if we played as a threesome piece would be a lot better. Oh well.

That is all I am doing now. It would have been nice for pace of play for me and the other two singles to pair up. What cracks me up is the one single one for me is all pissed off because of how slow things are moving now. He doesn’t realize that if we played as a threesome piece would be a lot better. Oh well.

There's the kicker. He would be doing a lot less waiting. But, some guys just flat out do not want to play with anyone else. Enjoy the rest of your round. Sounds like you got the first half done pretty quickly.

Back