Putting and dealing with plant debris on green.

clarkgriswold

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Most courses around here have several holes per round that are completely littered with debris parts of the year. Mostly pine needles or those mini pine cones. Unless it’s a super high end course you’ll never see a leaf blower in sight. How do you deal with it? Leave it, move the big stuff, break out the black and decker hand vac?

Usually if it’s a short path, I’ll attempt to clean the line, if it’s over say 8-10ft I’ll move anything major, but outside of that I’ll just deal with it. In general it drives me as crazy as punched greens but I’ve just learn to deal with it, and not carry an umpire broom.

Generally not an issue here in KS, but that would drive me nuts. I would have to figure some way to clean a putting path. You would think the grounds keepers would blow them off at least once a day. If they get that covered how are they mowing the greens?

They fill up pretty quick in spring and fall so I assume they are clean in morning but but mid day probably full again. Every once in a while you catch a run where maintenance will be a hole ahead of you. Which is pretty fantastic, it’s like the opposite of getting stuck behind someone watering the greens.

Back