Blast Motion Golf - THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
This one is a bit overdue, but I have had the pleasure of using this Bast Motion sensor for the last few weeks. For those that don't know, Blast Motion is a sensor that attaches to the butt end of your grip(though a rubber attachment), and it spits out a ton of data to your smartphone/tablet. The goal is to help make your putting stroke more consistent in in terms of tempo and rotation, which should help deliver more results on the course. Below is a list of what data points are able to be captured by using this sensor.

Tempo
Rotational Change
Backstroke Time
Forward Stroke Time
Total Stroke Time
Backstroke Length
Impact Stroke Speed
Backstroke Rotation
Forward Stroke Rotation
Loft Change
Lie Change

i-PJJT84L-L.jpg

i-r8VJj35-L.jpg

i-gFQXHD6-L.jpg

• Staff
On my Lamkin Sink Fit Skinny

i-6LNK2bX-L.jpg

i-QrCgnws-L.jpg

Been looking forward to this. I’ve used the blast motion once before but never got to see the results. Seems like a very helpful tool for dialing in a very tough to diagnose club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely interested to see what results, data and improvements you can take away from this.

• Staff
Been looking forward to this. I’ve used the blast motion once before but never got to see the results. Seems like a very helpful tool for dialing in a very tough to diagnose club.

man it has been eye opening, but since giving it some use, my putting has changed for the better. I threw this tweet up the other day after looking at some Arccos data...

Then I played again today and that number for putting handicap moved to +5.1 for the round. It has been crazy. The first round I played after practicing with it, I had 3 3-jacks. Since though, I've had 1.

man it has been eye opening, but since giving it some use, my putting has changed for the better. I threw this tweet up the other day after looking at some Arccos data...

Then I played again today and that number for putting handicap moved to +5.1 for the round. It has been crazy. The first round I played after practicing with it, I had 3 3-jacks. Since though, I've had 1.

That’s quite the change in such a short time.

• Staff
That’s quite the change in such a short time.

yeah it really has been. But it has me a bit more focused in areas when I'm practicing. I'm not just out on the green trying to drain 10 footer after 10 footer. Yes, I'd like them to go in, but it's more than that. I like being able to lay the phone down, hit putts, and it reads back to me the numbers I want to hear. If I want to hear rotational change numbers, I can. If I'm focused on overall tempo, that's what it reads out to me. Instant feedback, and it's increased my confidence BIG TIME.

• Staff
What else is cool, I switched to a plumbers neck putter earlier this year, even though I've had BAD stretches with those in the past. But I wanted to give it a solid try. Seeing data proves to me that I can roll this style, I just need to get out of my own way and focus on different things throughtout the stroke.

yeah it really has been. But it has me a bit more focused in areas when I'm practicing. I'm not just out on the green trying to drain 10 footer after 10 footer. Yes, I'd like them to go in, but it's more than that. I like being able to lay the phone down, hit putts, and it reads back to me the numbers I want to hear. If I want to hear rotational change numbers, I can. If I'm focused on overall tempo, that's what it reads out to me. Instant feedback, and it's increased my confidence BIG TIME.

This. Being able to get that immediate feedback from one putt to the next, is fantastic. And it can really help you hone in on the feel necessary to produce a good stroke. I have found myself while practicing being able tell whether I made a good stroke or one that was too slow or too fast.

But this product really gets you wanting to make a “good stroke”. It is agonizing when you think you made a good stroke and end up seeing your face was open (or closed), or you were too quick in the forward stroke. I love my BlastMotion and really need to make a more concerted effort to practice with it on an actual putting green, vice in my house. Albeit, it is definitely meant more for “perfecting” the stroke through controlled practice I think.

This. Being able to get that immediate feedback from one putt to the next, is fantastic. And it can really help you hone in on the feel necessary to produce a good stroke. I have found myself while practicing being able tell whether I made a good stroke or one that was too slow or too fast.

But this product really gets you wanting to make a “good stroke”. It is agonizing when you think you made a good stroke and end up seeing your face was open (or closed), or you were too quick in the forward stroke. I love my BlastMotion and really need to make a more concerted effort to practice with it on an actual putting green, vice in my house. Albeit, it is definitely meant more for “perfecting” the stroke through controlled practice I think.

I can agree with that. And yes it is a bit disheartenting when you think you hit your numbers and something is off.

Do you have any issues with it not picking up a stroke? I had some isolated incidents with that. Nothing major and to be honest I'm not even concerned about it. But figured I'd throw that out to you because I know you've been using one.

So does it have a baseline tempo that they recommend you try to achieve or does it just tell you what your tempo was?

So does it have a baseline tempo that they recommend you try to achieve or does it just tell you what your tempo was?

the baseline they go for is .60 back, .30 forward so essentially a 2 to 1 full tempo. Now for some that might feel too slow, and for me it was a bit to adjust to that. My average back time now is .57. I was a fast takeaway guy, and am the same with my full swing.

A couple of screen shots

34945fad1ba8227b4dba272955c74849.jpg

a9d0e7922fbbe8021c1c82156e132440.jpg

e42fe3a83bd8408dad855eeed95bb76f.jpg

Thanks. Did you have a predominant miss before that the sensor pointed out or are you just using it to tighten up a good stroke?

I think I'm a pretty decent putter, rarely 3 putt and dont have a dominant miss, so I'm wondering if this would help me tighten up my stroke.

I can agree with that. And yes it is a bit disheartenting when you think you hit your numbers and something is off.

Do you have any issues with it not picking up a stroke? I had some isolated incidents with that. Nothing major and to be honest I'm not even concerned about it. But figured I'd throw that out to you because I know you've been using one.

I don’t recall any issues with it not picking up a stroke, MAYBE once but definitely not any more. But what is weird to me is I have had quite a few times where I will open up the app and it will say that it has 1 or 2 strokes ready for download and I literally just installed the device on my putter. Not sure how it picked up those strokes, other than maybe the device hitting something while in my bag?

Also the package says swing and stroke, is it just putter or other clubs as well?

Like @ddec said, they recommend a 2 to 1 tempo as their baseline, with .60 backstroke and .30 forward stroke. For me, .60 feels ridiculous fast so I strive more for the 2:1 than the individual backstroke time. But everyone will be different. One of the pros at my club has been to a Blast seminar and to him the .60 felt painfully slow.

Thanks. Did you have a predominant miss before that the sensor pointed out or are you just using it to tighten up a good stroke?

I think I'm a pretty decent putter, rarely 3 putt and dont have a dominant miss, so I'm wondering if this would help me tighten up my stroke.

I would say my predominant miss is on the right and my speed has been pretty poor. I used to feel like I was a good putter, but a couple of seasons ago that changed and I haven't been able to really get that back.

I am very intrigued with this device. Honestly had never heard of it until I just saw this thread. Consistent putting is something I have always struggled with. Case in point, before I opened this thread I had just finished rolling numerous putts cross-handed looking for answers for not making many putts lately. My typical putting grip is conventional.

I can echo @ddec comments - the blast golf sensor is great for putting. I’ve had it for a few years and it tells you a ton about your stroke. Some of the information isn’t all that useful if you aren’t sure how to fix it but some of it is great.

I want one. Heck, I’ve wanted one since they did the collab with TM on a Spider build.

Could be a crazy useful device.

I can echo @ddec comments - the blast golf sensor is great for putting. I’ve had it for a few years and it tells you a ton about your stroke. Some of the information isn’t all that useful if you aren’t sure how to fix it but some of it is great.

I like that they have video portions within the app to help with some lessons. But there is just a ton of information available, which to the casual golfer, could be information overload.

I want one. Heck, I’ve wanted one since they did the collab with TM on a Spider build.

That spider interactive release was really freaking cool.

My biggest issue with that, which I thought was crazy cool, was that the marketing by both companies on the collaboration was awful.
It was as if both companies expected the other to market it, so neither ended up doing anything.

My biggest issue with that, which I thought was crazy cool, was that the marketing by both companies on the collaboration was awful.
It was as if both companies expected the other to market it, so neither ended up doing anything.

Oh it was terrible. Which was shocking because imo it could’ve been a solid win for both companies.

Back