Club options for a new junior golfer that is very tall

Theboatguy

Reaction score
Handicap
My son is getting interested and we've been to the range a half dozen times with some of my older clubs I cut down. Contact is getting better so I'm thinking I'd like to get him set up with some clubs that fit properly before any real bad habits start. My problem is that he just turned 9 and is 5' 1" and a buck-oh-five. Should I be looking more toward women's stuff? Despite his size, his swing isn't strong enough to handle standard weight cut down stuff. I have access to any of the club building/modifying tools to put together some stuff. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would think that women's clubs or mens clubs with really light weight shafts would work.

My boy started when he was 9 and about the same height and weight. I just got him a regular mens set, Cobra, with really light weight graphite shafts. He is now 13 and 5'7" and 120 or so. He is just now getting to the point were he may be needing a little more stout shaft.

I've seen both sides that say shorter irons are better or just start them with a full size set that is light enough. In his case he definitely hasn't developed any bad habits or engrained anything negative. One of his good buddies, who is smaller, started with a kids set and the other boy is now struggling as he recently moved into a mens set.

Back