Ben Hogan stand bag review

LLIB

Unfittable
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I didn’t see a review thread on the bag so I thought I would start one.

I’ve only used this bag for about five rounds and I don’t carry because I have a pushcart but I’ll give my thoughts on it.

The first thing you notice with it is it is extremely light. If you walk and carry your bag I would definitely recommend this one just from a weight standpoint. The carry straps aren’t the best I’ve ever used but they are serviceable.

There’s plenty of storage space. The insulated pocket does a good job of keeping drinks cold and the dry pocket works really well. The ball pocket is big enough to hold a few dozen balls if that’s your thing.The only thing I don’t like about it is it’s zippered. My Ogio spoiled me with its magnetic closure but it’s not a huge deal. I got used to it pretty quick.

My only real knock on it is the dividers on top. I’m not real crazy about how it’s set up. I figured out how to make it work for me but I would like to see a different top.

All in all it’s a really nice bag for the price.

To be completely honest, I'm a stand bag hater. They almost never ride on a cart without twisting. I just don't enjoy walking courses, so I will never uses this for its intended purpose. The mechanical hinge required to make the legs work is usually week and bulky. This bag has none of those issues. The styling is classic Hogan with the color scheme. They have designed a cart strap into the lip of the bag making it easier to mount up. It's got plenty of individual pockets including three on the front. A small jewelry pouch an accessories pouch and a ball pouch. The sides are ample and the right side is split with a dry pouch. The left has a side pouch and a cooler pocket. Most importantly, it's footprint is sized correctly and rides great on a cart. My only gripe..it's a 5 way divider on top..I know it adds more weight, and some people like 4/5 way tops. They just aren't for me. Solid, solid bag if you don't mind 4/5 way tops.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just a quick update on the bag. All the positives are still positive. The cooler pocket is awesome, thankfully. It’s been hot. Zippers are still good. Dry pocket still keeping everything dry. I’m getting used to the top but I’d still like to see a different design.

All in all it’s a really solid bag at a good price

@LLIB I've had issues with my stand bag twisting when I use the strap tunnel. Are you seeing that too, or is that just our funky carts?

@LLIB I've had issues with my stand bag twisting when I use the strap tunnel. Are you seeing that too, or is that just our funky carts?

I haven’t had any twisting but I haven’t used that feature either. Honestly didn’t even know it had one, lol

It has a strap tunnel on the right side if you're looking at the bag. I didn't injure of it was our funky carts or if the tunnel needs to be moved up just a little. It seems like either it's a little high or not being on both sides causes it to rotate.

It has a strap tunnel on the right side if you're looking at the bag. I didn't injure of it was our funky carts or if the tunnel needs to be moved up just a little. It seems like either it's a little high or not being on both sides causes it to rotate.

I’ll check it out next time I use a cart. I mostly walk with a pushcart though so it’ll probably be awhile

So mine twists as well even using the strap bag part with the cart and now the thread is starting to come up :(.

So mine twists as well even using the strap bag part with the cart and now the thread is starting to come up :(.

Hmmmm, maybe it’s a good thing I haven’t used it

I will agree with what @LLIB and @ Qwikz51 have said about the bag. Aesthetically it looks great. Love the Red/White/Blue color scheme. The pockets are more than sufficient and there is plenty of storage capacity. The two lined pockets are very nice for valuables (although I believe the one above the ball pocket is intended for a range finder). I do like to walk when I play and the weight of the bag is great. It is very light. The stand mechanism is very solid and stable. The zipper pulls are also engineered quite nicely. Instead of a regular pull tab, they have a nice loop built into it which makes it more convenient to grasp and pull. The cooler pocket works very well! the past couple rounds have been in the 90's with high humidity and the water bottles ( yes 2) both stayed cold the whole round.
The only knock I would have is also the dividers on the top. My other bag is an Ogio Edge with the Woodie top. I do prefer to have that style top with a designated putter well. But that is my preference. Other than that, I do not have any issues getting the clubs out of the bag with the 4/5 way divided top.

As far as twisting on the cart, I have not experienced that. I do agree that the cart strap holder is a nice feature as well.

Overall, I think it is a very good bag and would not have any issues continuing to use it. The top is a minor inconvenience I can easily work around.

I have been using this bag for about a month and am very happy with it. The top organization works very well for me. A designated putter well in addition to the existing dividers would be the only thing that would make it better for me. I currently put my putter in the full width divider with my 3 woods and it is fine there. I have walked and pushed (Clicgear 3.5+) every round that I have used the bag and have experienced no issues with it on the push cart

Getting the bag in white once #benhogangolf builds my PTX Pros and ships them... Just waiting not so patiently for that to happen

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One small issue I'm having is the spring loaded keeper for the umbrella loosens up over time. Just have to retighten it every so often. I will probably just take one I have on a cinch sack and put it on this bag.

Got my white bag and it is really nice. Good design with so the pockets, the cooler bag, which frankly I haven't used because it won't hold a six pack, lol.

Only issue I have is the stitching there where the pocket for the strap is is coming undone. Only ride with it so it looks like it might be a problem sooner rather than later.

Love the look and the functionality though.

I just noticed this bag has a zipper inside the large garmet pocket which allows access to the inside of the bag. This will be very helpful when needing to clean the inside bottom of the bag which certainly can get quite dirty over time.

I’m still using the bag and like it for the most part. I really like the pockets and storage. Still hate the top but I’m making it work. The only real negative is the liners that divide the clubs has already ripped in a couple spots so I’m not sure how much longer it’s gonna last

Just cleaned up my clubs, added my range finder, and organized everything in the bag! I did swap out the keeper on the umbrella strap for a stronger one!

How are you finding the zippered closures after using it for a few more months? I’ve got a Callaway Hyperlite and it’s all zippers but been looking at some with the spring loaded/magnetic ball pouches of late.

I moved on from the bag. The cart strap part started to rip at the seam not long after I got it. I wasn't a fan of the top dividers as well. The bag was super light and had pretty good storage and I really liked the looks.

I’ve moved on also. I never got along with the dividers and the fabric that separated the clubs ripped and the clubs would get tangled. I loved the storage and how light it was. The legs were sturdy. I never had an issue with stability. I could’ve dealt with the top but the fabric tearing and clubs tangling were a no go.

I still use mine for about half my rounds. Rotate it with a Sun Mountain Sync. Still have experienced no issues with the bag. I think it has only been on a riding cart 2 or 3 times but don't recall any issues in those times.

I use mine all the time. It's A LOT lighter than my Tour Edge EXS stand bag! Lots of good features. Very comfortable to carry. My only issue was the umbrella keeper, but I replaced it quick and at no cost. If could change anything, it would have full length dividers and maybe a putter well!

I've carried this bag the last 2 days. It's fairly light weight and the straps are comfortable. Like the amount of pockets including 2 valuable pockets and a thermal pocket. I wish it had a putter well. I keep having issues with the umbrella strap. I replaced the spring loaded clip with a stronger one, and over time walking, it still loosens up. @BHGtylerb I recommend on the next design to try a Velcro strap. The right stand leg likes to get caught up on the umbrella. Maybe I should remove the umbrella if I don't need it.

This bag is holding up well! No issues with defects or quality. Still looks great.

Back