Matthew Wolff - 2019 3M Championship WITB

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
I’ve always thought these make for fun convo, so I’m going to start posting them up!

The rookie with a life changing win gaining 2 years exemption and getting into the Major’s is a big deal, particularly the way he did it. Here is what was in the bag:

Driver: TaylorMade M5 8* w/ Graphite Design AD-TP 7TX shaft (Switched from M6 this week)

Fairway: TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour-AD BB 8X shaft

Irons: TaylorMade P760 2-iron and P750 Tour Proto 4-PW w/Nippon Modus 130X shaft

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 52*, 56* and 60* (bent to 62*) degrees w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Copper w/KBS CT Tour shaft

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Pretty solid setup for this kid. He obviously its it a mile and has some unreal touch. Not to mention is clutch putting all week. I loved his fearlessness on the golf course and his ability to stay mentally locked in throuhout the tournament. I think this kid is a special talent and will only get better. Great pickup for Taylormade. I will be curious to see if he switches to the TP5 in the future.

61 degree wedge makes me sweat just thinking about hitting it lol.

Watching him rip a ball back 30 feet several times was just straight fire when you're in contention to win on the PGA

I didn't get to watch much of the tournament this week but what I did see I enjoyed. This young man definitely swings his swing and it works for him very well. Seeing him humbled and about in tears with the win was touching and down to earth. Looking forward to seeing him grow and progress.

Nice bag setup and I love his attitude and demeanor. This year’s class is absolutely nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kid is an absolute beast and those shafts confirm that.

I'm happy for him, but I'm really surprised that it happened for him before Viktor Hovland. Low am in the Masters (T32) and T12 in the US Open (low am w/lowest am score in the US Open ever - beating Jack) led me to believe he would be the star from OSU. Not to mention he was selected for the 2019 Ben Hogan award and won the 2018 US Am. Now he is playing catch up compared to Wolff.

Just goes to show you that nothing is a sure thing.

Smart scoop by TaylorMade and cool to read his switch from the M6 driver to the M5.

The ProV freaking 1.

I'm happy for him, but I'm really surprised that it happened for him before Viktor Hovland. Low am in the Masters (T32) and T12 in the US Open led me to believe he would be the star from OSU. Now he is playing catch up compared to Wolff.

Just goes to show you that nothing is a sure thing.

Not to take away from , but Hovland has top 15s two weeks in a row... not too shabby. Both are absolute studs and I think we will see great things from them.

Not to take away from , but Hovland has top 15s two weeks in a row... not too shabby. Both are absolute studs and I think we will see great things from them.

For sure. Wolff won a Haskins award and I think was the more decorated collegiate golfer, nothing against Hovland at all, they're both doing excellent.

d2692c59f73e0ba3c833892b42d081dd.png

Doing it his way. I can relate to that!

What an incredible accomplishment.

Was definitely fun to watch this week. Grew somewhat attached to Hovland and Wolff through the Driven show this year and extremely happy to see their success early on in their careers. As Pringles mentioned, I'll be curious to see if he switches to the TP5 or (X) in the coming weeks, but either way was enjoyable to watch.

There were a couple times where I thought, oh boy out of position is this where he loses it, but he stuck with it and finished strong. Also enjoyed his "probably enjoy a virgin pina colada" at his post win press conference haha.

I need that club drop at the top. Pure.

The drop from where he is in your photo to him in the slot is just wild. It’s crazy how subtly he gets the shaft flattened out and then murders it.

Love watching him play

Smart scoop by TaylorMade and cool to read his switch from the M6 driver to the M5.

The ProV freaking 1.
Yeah, hard to believe TM can't very him into a TP5.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, hard to believe TM can't very him into a TP5.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Has to be a trust thing, much like Tiger with Bridgestone. More than a few Callaway and Srixon staffers play the ProV1 as well.

Nothing against the TP5, CS, or Z-Star but when you know exactly what the ball is going to do tee to green it's tough to convince a player to try something else.

Sort of surprised how Rickie went from the ProV1 to the TP5. But hey after extensive testing I'm sure he's just as confident in the TP5 like he was the ProV.

Watched his highlights from the tourney, just crushed it and that eagle to win was absurd! Good for him, he's going to climb the ranks pretty quick!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

d2692c59f73e0ba3c833892b42d081dd.png

Doing it his way. I can relate to that!

What an incredible accomplishment.

I bet Brandel short circuits watching him swing.

His swing makes Jim Furyk look like Ben Hogan

Love the fact that he brings something unique and different to the tour, but at the end of the day the results are also there. Really cool to see if he has continued success. I hope he does.

It's fun to watch someone with 'different' swing succeed, however, I can't watch that swing too much as it'll get in my head and affect my swing.

Back