Left Handed GI Irons

Sandman

Reaction score
Handicap
For the mid to high handicap lefties that are gaming GI irons produced no later than 2008.

1. What are you gaming?

2. Would you recommend them

3. What do like or dislike about them.

I'm playing out the season with my current Nike CPR's but I'll be looking to upgrade when deals get more plentiful at the end of this season. I've never been fitted and I'll do that before the end of the summer, but right now I just want to compile a good list of GI irons. I've had problems in the past with hooking but I'm taking lessons now and my ball striking has improved significantly....it's really nice to see most everything flying high and straight. I really don't care that much about looks. I don't have a ton of time to practice so I need sticks that are still fairly forgiving.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

As a fellow lefty (not that it matters much), I'll provide my limited experience if it helps. And I know I do my club buying all wrong, buying what pops up used and cheap, but it's been interesting to say the least.

Last year, I started back into the game, and without doing enough research on clubs, shafts, etc., picked up a set of Callaway Big Bertha 2006 irons with graphite regular shafts. I am sure it had more to do with the shafts being a really bad fit for me than anything, but even though these are SGI irons, I played poorly all season. If I had bought them in a steel shaft, I might have played and felt differently.

Then I traded in the BB, and picked up a set of Wilson Staff Ci7 irons with stiff steel. They were lightly used and too cheap to pass up, so I took a lark even though I was going from regular graphite to stiff steel. I played one round with them this season (my first round), and it was pretty ugly, though it was my first round of the season. The Ci7s felt good, but maybe were not forgiving enough for me.

Around that time a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a lightly used set of Wilson Staff Di9 irons with uniflex steel shafts. These are the more forgiving line of Wilson Staff irons, the lineage of Di7s, etc. I've played two rounds with them since, and I think I found my irons. They have only uniflex shafts (98g True Temper fat shafts in steel), so it takes the second-guessing out of choosing stiff or regular. And the uniflex shaft does feel pretty perfect for a tweener, and should work fine going either direction.

My first round with these, I finally felt like I was a golfer. My set starts with the 5 iron, but from the long irons to the short irons, and onto the wedges, I hit a bunch of great shots, ones I hadn't made before. They look good, feel good, and just want to hit long and straight. I tended to hit thin iron shots previously, but something about the Di9s makes getting the ball up in the air effortless, without balooning.

I know the Di9s would not be for everyone, and purists would dislike the uniflex shaft, and the funky lofts, etc. But if you just want to get out there and have some fun with the game of golf, I don't think you can do much better than the Di9s.

Back