Planning for the 2010 Show THP Dinner

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know it seems early to start planning but this year THP is going to make another big splash at the PGA show and is looking for ideas for the THP dinner that we will do again. For those new to the site, each year in January we go to the PGA Merchandise show for media and buyers (industry event) and last year we hosted a THP dinner with 25 of our "closest friends" from all the different companies out there. Last year's dinner was at Charley's Steak house an upscale steak house kind of place in the area that is truly great. And while we had an amazing time, we found a few things lacking.

A table for 25 is quite large and you really do not get to talk with everybody during dinner. So this year we want to do something a little different and want to hear input and ideas from everybody. We will still be hosting our dinner but we have a feeling it is going to be a lot bigger than 25, so here is what we were thinking.

Rent a small banquet area at a local hotel we are most likely staying at (Peabody or Rosen) and have an open room (banquet room small) with a bar and food.
OR
Rent a small banquet area at the same local hotel and still do a sit down meal but do it buffet style.
OR
Go to a restaurant like we did last time and reserve a private room to fit about 40-50 people.

We have to plan this early because many of these areas are already booked up. So we look forward to your feedback.

We also want to hear who you guys think we should put on the guest list. name the company and if we work with them, they will get an invite.

Go to a restaurant like we did last time and reserve a private room to fit about 40-50 people.

That would be my vote. The food tends to be better than the "buffet-style" setup.

As for who to invite - I'd say the usual suspects from the big equipment and ball manufacturers. Maybe some of the "lesser-knowns" like our Putter Week companies. The favorites from the clothing lines (big or small). Bushnell.

Oh, and save a spot for that Osahar guy - he'll drive over. :angel:

A suggestion I have seen work in the past is to set up about 8-10 cocktail tables in the center of the room with about 3 chairs per table (or no chairs, no chairs is better because it means more mingling) and do dinner buffet style. Almost like heavy appetizers. People tend to mingle a lot more because they are at smaller tables and it will be easier for you to walk around and talk with the different people from each of the groups. I have done this numerous times for dinners after technical conferences and it works every time and I get rave reviews from everyone who comes. It is much more social than everyone sitting down at a table.

If weather permits, lots of hotels have the ability to cater outdoor cookouts. That is always a welcome relief from the restaurants every night. My company had one a few years ago on the patio of a hotel on a lake. It was well received and since it is buffet style with tables for 4 to 8 scattered around, there was lots of mingling. You could do steaks and shrimp/scallop Kabobs, etc. Open bar and you got a party!

• Admin
If weather permits, lots of hotels have the ability to cater outdoor cookouts. That is always a welcome relief from the restaurants every night. My company had one a few years ago on the patio of a hotel on a lake. It was well received and since it is buffet style with tables for 4 to 8 scattered around, there was lots of mingling. You could do steaks and shrimp/scallop Kabobs, etc. Open bar and you got a party!

We would love that, but last time before the dinner we found quite a few different media outlets hanging around on our tab. We would have that fear if we did it outside.

We would love that, but last time before the dinner we found quite a few different media outlets hanging around on our tab. We would have that fear if we did it outside.

Give the party-goers THP Belt buckles and shoot anyone without one!!!:D

In my line of work we host many different events like this throughout the year for our customers. The thing that works the best is to have an open room (we usually have a restaurant's banquet area or secure a local bar/nightclub for a night when they are not open), and have a buffet style dinner or several different appetizers or finger foods. We have done the sit down dinners before with smaller groups, but as you said, it can get hard to communicate with everyone since you get stuck in the seat where you are at. Having an open room allows everyone to mingle and move throughout, without feeling tied down. Depending on the food, you might want to have some tables (no one wants to cut a steak standing up with no table). More than likely, people would just sit down to eat and then get up and mingle when they are done. Since we are usually at bars, there are enough tables and bar stools around that it is pretty easy for people to sit down if they want to. People will group off and that is great as the host. It will allow you to bounce from group to group without getting tied down and without anyone feeling left out.

The key is to have a casual flow to the evening and you don't want anyone to feel tied down to one spot so my vote would be for the open room with a bar and food. Oh, and keep the drinks flowing.

When we go to corporate outings it seems like they always stick to the cocktail tables with finger foods. Last night they took 30 of us to a Dodger game which was a nice change, but that is not a option. My favorite is when they rent out the back room at a restaurant. For some reason when I go to the finger food style, I always end up eating too many crab cakes and have to go eat a regular dinner after.

A suggestion I have seen work in the past is to set up about 8-10 cocktail tables in the center of the room with about 3 chairs per table (or no chairs, no chairs is better because it means more mingling) and do dinner buffet style. Almost like heavy appetizers. People tend to mingle a lot more because they are at smaller tables and it will be easier for you to walk around and talk with the different people from each of the groups. I have done this numerous times for dinners after technical conferences and it works every time and I get rave reviews from everyone who comes. It is much more social than everyone sitting down at a table.

This guy has it figured out, nice suggestion mchepp!

One company I know THP has worked with quite a bit and I have personally spoken to and really enjoyed is Slotline. I think they are about to blow up even more with their putters and Chad Lehr is a great guy to talk to, he'd fit right in at a dinner like this!

I say invite taylormade they seem cool but I am sure you'll make a good decision just do what think is best. buffet are always good but have meal foods to so you don't keep eating garlic fingers. But keep competing golf companies away like Titleist and Callaway they may start throwing 2007 Pro v1s at each other:alien2:

I love the ducks at the Peabody. It's right across from the convention center - isn't it? I think you should have the dinner at the hotel in a private room. I would do a cocktail hour followed by a sit-down dinner. People can mingle during cocktails and talk to many people, but I'm sure they would like to sit while they eat and have more indepth conversations.

That is what we did last year Diane. While it worked, with it being even bigger this year, we would have to move it towards a different kind of venue. Long tables to seat 25-50 people do not work well for talking with everybody.

EDIT: Here is the thread from the 1st THP Dinner.
THP Dinner - The Hackers Paradise

That is what we did last year Diane. While it worked, with it being even bigger this year, we would have to move it towards a different kind of venue. Long tables to seat 25-50 people do not work well for talking with everybody.

Hotels can do any kind of seating you want.

I was thinking more in terms of convenience for the attendees. When I arrange meetings, etc. further from the convention center - I provide transportation to make it easier for them.

I still like the ducks.

I love the ducks at the Peabody. It's right across from the convention center - isn't it? I think you should have the dinner at the hotel in a private room. I would do a cocktail hour followed by a sit-down dinner. People can mingle during cocktails and talk to many people, but I'm sure they would like to sit while they eat and have more indepth conversations.

Having grown up in a place where all the upscale wedding parties were held at the Peabody in MEMPHIS!!!, which is the only place that should have a Peabody, I am offended they have commercialized the ducks!

Now that I have that out of the way, the Peabody might be a good place to do it, but if I remember the schedule, you have to be in the lobby bar after 5PM to catch the duck procession to the fountain and they were returned to their rooftop penthouse before 8PM. Tat might be hard to arrange along with the dinner party.

Don't forget to invite a certain Orlando resident.. :)

Just a thought, there's a new place in the area called House of Beer, It has (I believe) 48 different draft choices and 150 different bottle choices. It's a comfortable room and they don't serve food. I'm thinking you can rent the place out for the evening and have some food catered in. Right in the same strip, there's a cigar joint called Stogies that you and your close associates could adjourn to after the event.

Be careful about inviting "Minnie Mouse". Based on the Florida Crime Thread, she's a real trouble maker....

Be careful about inviting "Minnie Mouse". Based on the Florida Crime Thread, she's a real trouble maker....

Hah... no, the OTHER Orlando Resident...

Don't forget to invite a certain Orlando resident.. :)

Just a thought, there's a new place in the area called House of Beer, It has (I believe) 48 different draft choices and 150 different bottle choices. It's a comfortable room and they don't serve food. I'm thinking you can rent the place out for the evening and have some food catered in. Right in the same strip, there's a cigar joint called Stogies that you and your close associates could adjourn to after the event.

Would you like the split the cost with us for all of that?

Would you like the split the cost with us for all of that?

Hmmm... I don't know that it would cost more than the other ideas you were entertaining...

I meant in general. Would you like to split it? hehe

If you could do mult. tables in a private room that might foster more of an interactive experience. Almost like a speed dating kind of thing where everyone gets to go to other tables an mingle. Light to heavy apps would work great. Maybe some kind of THP press pass too to keep the aforementioned press peeps out of the way as well.

Thanks everybody for the wonderful feedback. I think we have found a place (we think anyway) and they are working hard to create the menu for us. With all the ideas going around, right now we decided on doing it "mixer style".

There will be a buffet done with appetizers, salads, cheese plate, and entrees. Then we will have a bar on the other side of the room.

Rather than seated dinner tables we are going with high top tables, each with about 6 seats so people can stand or sit (after the long days most want to sit). We think this will provide a little more freedom for people to hang out and mingle as well as still have the food done right by the place taking care of it.

We should have the menu created in the next few days and then the "E-vites" will go out so we can get closer to an official count. And do not forget that one lucky THP member will win a trip to the show and invite to this dinner.

Back