Couple Questions About "The Greatest Game Ever Played"

I believe the four men are the same four men that Vardon met as a boy who created a golf course where his parents lived.

A quick google search says Eddie made his money selling used cars in San Francisco.

Remember obviously those 4 guys aren't alive, but just images Vardon is seeing that makes him really nervous. I think he gets that vision of the guys when he feels he doesnt belong at the golf course. Because at the beginning of the movie you remember them saying.

"Golf is a gentlemans sport, not for the likes of you" or something along those lines.

Yeppers
Remember obviously those 4 guys aren't alive, but just images Vardon is seeing that makes him really nervous. I think he gets that vision of the guys when he feels he doesnt belong at the golf course. Because at the beginning of the movie you remember them saying.

"Golf is a gentlemans sport, not for the likes of you" or something along those lines.

I believe the four men are the same four men that Vardon met as a boy who created a golf course where his parents lived.

I believe this is correct, they are the men that came to his house when he was a boy, they are obviously just ghost images that make him nervous now. A good movie for sure!

It was a well known fact that Vardon did not buy into the "aristicratic" stance of the game back then. It wasn't until Ted Ray won the US Open @ Inverness (i think that is correct?)several years later, that pro's were allowed in the clubhouses. Inverness started the whole thing off by giving an honorary membership to Ray. Walter Hagen was so impressed with this act of generosity, that he gave a very expensive grandfather clock to the club as "Thanks" for breaking down the doors of "class warfare". The grandfather clock still resides in the clubhouse @ Inverness.

To expand onto that, in the movie "Bobby Jones Stroke of Genius" at one point it mentioned that only Amateurs were allowed in the clubhouse, and professionals were not.

Does anyone find that a little odd?

To expand onto that, in the movie "Bobby Jones Stroke of Genius" at one point it mentioned that only Amateurs were allowed in the clubhouse, and professionals were not.

Does anyone find that a little odd?

I've seen that one several times and never caught that line. I need to see it again now!

It was a well known fact that Vardon did not buy into the "aristicratic" stance of the game back then. It wasn't until Ted Ray won the US Open @ Inverness (i think that is correct?)several years later, that pro's were allowed in the clubhouses. Inverness started the whole thing off by giving an honorary membership to Ray. Walter Hagen was so impressed with this act of generosity, that he gave a very expensive grandfather clock to the club as "Thanks" for breaking down the doors of "class warfare". The grandfather clock still resides in the clubhouse @ Inverness.

Thanks a bunch for this comment Miller!! It's amazing the facts you can pick up reading THP!

Back