Holding the "Pose."

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
I've often wondered if touring pros who've just hit a great shot hold their follow-through pose longer to let everyone know they've hit a good shot or is the exaggerated pose a result of actually hitting that great a shot?

What's your opinion and don't you think they are "braggin on themselves" a little? :D

Sergio, for one, comes to mind.

There are instructors who say "holding the pose" is a great way to end a golf swing's follow through, which in itself is part of a good swing. I don't hold the pose when I am playing, that I know off, but I've seen many others that do. Perhaps i should work on it..........

I should also add that when holding the pose, it will give the golfer a good indication of where they body is pointing with regards to their alignment, and ball flight. I sometime push shots straight right of my intended target. Darned if I not finishing my follow through correctly, or had poor alignment to begin with because my belt buckle is pointing right where I hit the ball.

Last edited:
There are instructors who say "holding the pose" is a great way to end a golf swing's follow through, which in itself is part of a good swing. I don't hold the pose when I am playing, that I know off, but I seen many others that do. Perhaps i should work on it..........

I'm just not quite so sure they're not doing it to call attention to the shot. Hard to tell right?

I'm just not quite so sure they're not doing it to call attention to the shot. Hard to tell right?

I think it's a little of both and more so after a good shot.

Let's face it, no matter how well trained or professional someone is, they still have an ego and there's nothing wrong with being proud of something you've accomplished.

So if holding the pose after a particularly good shot is one's way of affirming or validating themselves, what's wrong with that?

I DO however draw the line at cartwheels or "moonwalking".

-JP

You may be correct, since their seems to be a lot egos in professional golf.

I like when I'm swinging to make it look pretty. Holding the pose is part of my swing thought, making the swing look pretty usually results in a good outcome. Not always, but I love seeing a good solid swing finishing with a great pose.

Id say they are bragging/showing off just a little bit and IMO thats not really a bad thing. I must admit, I do the same thing when I hit a good shot.

Like a good follow through posing at the end of the swing shows good balance and is a symptom of a good swing, but not the cause of it necessarily, it is possible to swing smooth and not be still at the end of the swing, once the ball is off the club face nothing you do will change the flight, but it is hard to get into that balanced position without a decent swing.

Id say they are bragging/showing off just a little bit and IMO thats not really a bad thing. I must admit, I do the same thing when I hit a good shot.

I agree. I've read many "tips" saying that holding a pose after what you think is a good shot helps to reinforce that good shot.

Lorena Ochoa's two-pump pose looks great and is my favorite to watch.

For me its usually I am thinking so hard on where the ball is going to land if its going at the pin that I just forget to let go of my finish. I just keep it there and worry about it after my ball has landed.

I don't pose at the end very often. Seems like whenever I do, I just hit a good shot. Maybe it's because I made a good swing that makes me hold the pose and the good shot is a result of the swing. I know I make good shots that I know the swing was not that great, and I don't hold the pose then. Perhaps the goal is to hold the pose for 36 shots a round, and you might just shoot par!

I guess when you end in good balance it's just natural to hold a pose at the end?

I DO however draw the line at cartwheels or "moonwalking".

-JP
Yeah, that moonwalking kind of tears up the tee box or fairway with those spikes. :tongue:

My buddies say I pose if I hit a good approach. Honestly, I don't think about it, so I think the "pose" is a result of making a really good stroke and finishing properly. I think the good shot is a result of the pose instead of the other way around.

A nice followthrough position is the result of a good swing usually, and it is a pleasant position to watch the ball-flight from. If I end up in a 'pose', you bet I hold it for a while!!! It doesn't happen as often as I like though....

I agree. I've read many "tips" saying that holding a pose after what you think is a good shot helps to reinforce that good shot.
Ive read that too. You know that iconic photograph of Ben Hogan holding his follow through? Ive been told that its a good idea to get in the habit of holding your finish on every shot as though someone is going to take a picture of it and that picture is going to be hung on the wall of your home and you are going to have to look at it every day for the rest of your life.

My theory is that with cute clothes and a good follow through, no one pays attention to the rest of your game.

I sure hope I'm right!

That stuff about your belt buckle pointing to the target is dead on.

Lorena Ochoa's two-pump pose looks great and is my favorite to watch.
:thumb::thumb: I like it too! The 'move' in this video isn't very pronounced, but it is a nice short video, and gets across the idea:

[YOUTUBE]L6-FwYmcjr4[/YOUTUBE]

i dont know if there is really a difference between holding the "pose", or just following through well, but i guess i do both on a regular basis. it is a good way to judge your balance because if you start to fall over or it feels uncomfortable than somethings wrong. I also feel like if you mis-hit a shot but hold your finish it will help keep the ball on the least errant line and also suck every yard out of the shot possible

Back