Do You Own a Handgun?

Yes. Several, in fact. I'm a huge fan of the .45 ACP. I used to shoot some IPSC competition before I got into Sporting Clays and Skeet (my wife and I shot 40,000 targets a year combined for a few years). Price, availability of components, and time have reduced my shooting significantly.

Better to have and not need than need and not have, IMHO.

Smith & Wesson #686 .357 Magnum 4" (stainless)
Smith & Wesson #36 .38 spcl
Colt Gov't Model MKIV Series 70 .45 ACP (polished/satin nickel)
Ruger Single Six .22/.22 mag 6.5"
Browning Auto 5 "SWEET 16" gauge (Belgium made & engraved)
Savage A5 12 gauge Auto (pre WWII)
Savage/Stevens .22 semi rifle

Funny - Your SHOUTING makes me think you want someone to debate the subject with you. It's not going to happen though - only a fool debates anything online.

I wasn't shouting. I was emphasizing. It's similar to what you just did with the word "SHOUTING" except I wasn't being sarcastic or rude. I would have suspected the fact that I literally said I have no interest in debating would have trumped any potential misinterpretations. I suppose I need to stop assuming even the most obvious things.

I suppose I need to stop assuming even the most obvious things.

Assuming anything with the written word or with anyone on a forum is a mistake.

Nope dont own one....but then handguns are illegal in the UK.

After an incident in Dunblane where a psycho shot loads of kids, the government just banned them in public. (i think you can use them and keep them at licenced ranges still). Silly thing is...it hasnt worked. Law abiding citizen dont own them (only a few did before dunblane mind, not like amaerica where hand guns are common), and more importantly the criminals that are the concern can still access them. Cos they dont care about the law.

Not sure whether i agree with the law or not.

Nope dont own one....but then handguns are illegal in the UK.

After an incident in Dunblane where a psycho shot loads of kids, the government just banned them in public. (i think you can use them and keep them at licenced ranges still). Silly thing is...it hasnt worked. Law abiding citizen dont own them (only a few did before dunblane mind, not like amaerica where hand guns are common), and more importantly the criminals that are the concern can still access them. Cos they dont care about the law.

Not sure whether i agree with the law or not.

I have heard the same thing from some of my friends and co-workers who live in the U.K. Sadly, similar things are happening in Canada and Australia. In the U.S., we have a very polarized country where roughly half live in or near a metropolitan area and spend more of their time on concrete and asphalt navigating traffic congestion and looking for parking spots. The other half lives in rural areas where gun ownership is a more accepted way of life.

The politics in the U.S. follow the same pattern. Not many hunters in the Metro areas. So they are less likely to consider guns for protection of life and property. They are much more willing to trust the local police to protect their home and family should criminals target them. In the rural areas, people have never been willing to trust government with their safety and since many of these people also hunt, familiarity with guns is more common.

There is a reason the 2nd Amendment was such a priority when the Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution. Governmental control of gun ownership is not and never has been about safety. It has always been about the balance of power. So ask yourself, do you trust a government department or agency to best protect yourself, your family and your property? Just like cars, guns require training and constant attention to safety. You wouldn't avoid driving a car based on the fact that there are numerous idiot drivers out there, would you? No, in fact, you would more than likely be more determined to become a better driver. Same holds true with guns. Data has shown in every case, where conceal carry laws go into effect, related crimes diminish. Where gun ownership is lowest, crimes increase.

There is no reason for a felon to obey the gun laws that you and I would. Therefore, gun laws have always been ineffective in disarming criminals. However, they are very effective in disarming the law abiding tax payers like us.

I own three handguns…

Beretta PX4 Storm .45ACP
Glock 19 9mm
Smith & Wesson 640 .38 revolver

In addition to the above handguns I own three shotguns and two rifles. Missouri has and I am a proponent of conceal and carry.

Don't own any guns, served a couple years in the USMC and had my fill. Not big on the concept of shooting another human..

It's not a statistic. It's mathematical common sense. The gun sits there 24/7/365. I don't care how careful someone is, or what steps they take, the odds of something going wrong massively trump any value it can have, magically summoned when the naughty intruder is present.

I would never own a gun, or live with anyone who did. I understand applied probability and gun ownership is remarkably ignorant in that regard. But the public is even more fearful than brainwashed.

So I gotta ask, do guns kill/maim/injure people or is it the user?

Common sense dictates in the use of any tool, regardless of whether it happens to be a firearm or a power drill.

As far as "magical summoning" goes I disagree completely. While most do not go throught the "trifle" of constant training, I can assure that trifles they are but trifle's make for perfection and perfection is no trifle. (thank you Michelangelo) Also one trains himself in deadly force, not to use it daily but instead to be prepared for it. You are a fool, and a dangerous one at that, if you believe otherwise.

Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem
-Flavius Vegetius Renatus, 390 B.C.

Take it for what it is worth, but in regards to a firearm I can honestly say that there comes a certain point when using one is actually a subconscious act. In fact in certain scenarios it becomes your knee jerk response to anything out of the ordinary happening.

But I agree with Diane, (HA didn't think I would say THAT did you :D) arguing on a forum, albeit fun and educational, is a moot point. The only thing I ask is that you don't come crying to me when the zombie's invasion starts.......:cool:

But I agree with Diane, (HA didn't think I would say THAT did you :D) arguing on a forum, albeit fun and educational, is a moot point.

I think that's the issue - many people don't see it as fun or educational.

Since I think I'm always right - I assume everyone agrees with me. :wink:

About 30 years ago, a suburb of Chicago not only allowed people to own guns, they required every homeowner to have a firearm for self-protection. Robberies, rapes, assaults, burglaries, etc. all went down dramatically.

Out here in Arizona, you have to get a permit and attend classes to conceal and carry, but you can carry one strapped to your side in plain view any time you like. I think it is a great idea, I miss gunfights in the streets.

Out here in Arizona, you have to get a permit and attend classes to conceal and carry, but you can carry one strapped to your side in plain view any time you like. I think it is a great idea, I miss gunfights in the streets.

Ive always been jealous of that. Arizona gets all of the cool laws.

I own several different types of weapons and have about 5 more I want and then I will be done buying guns. I love to hunt and target shoot.

nope..not me.Afraid of them.

Yep I loved going to the In-N-Out in Marana with a pistol strapped on, though in practice not as many actually take advantage of this. Hence the wierd looks I got but oh well I would give weird looks to anyone excersing their right to free speech and burning a flag so.............

As for our UK members wierdly enough it is actually easier (or at least it was been awhile since I have checked up on the laws) for yall to get suppressors, just harder for yall to get a firearm to go along with said suppressor. Weird huh? Seeing as it is the exact opposite this side of the pond!

I don't own any handguns. I have an old BB gun and an air rifle (pellet gun) that I used to shoot when I was younger. I'm sure I would enjoy target shooting with a pistol or other firearm, but I don't really need another expensive hobby. I personally am not too concerned with needing one for self-defense. Plus, I'm not sure the wife would be too happy with me if I brought one home.

Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem
-Flavius Vegetius Renatus, 390 B.C.

AKA: Sic vis pacem, para bellum .

Just to explain a little, most people recognize the english/backwards literal translation/basterdization.

BTW here is a really cool "handgun", I just picked up.......enjoy! :D

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/rbtsttn3rd/MyCCI-1.jpg

Kind of OT but when it comes to "real" stuff I have a strict, always carry never show/tell policy. But to the average BG (or person), if I was to pull this out they would probably still be nervous! HAHAHAHA! But that is how I roll..........:banana:

Link doesn't seem to want to work.

I don't have my CHP, need to get it though...

I never leave home without a knife, and at night I toss my Surefire in my pocket as well.

Link doesn't seem to want to work.

I don't have my CHP, need to get it though...

I never leave home without a knife, and at night I toss my Surefire in my pocket as well.

Paint ball?

Hmmmmm, link is working on my PC someone with higher pc skills might need to see what is up?

And yes it is a paintball MARKER...............sorry bout the mini-rant but they are not "gun's", or "firearm's" etc in the traditional definition of the word. But everyone here knew that already just one of my ocd pet peeve thing's! :D

Far as knives go I always have an EDC for menial tasks (2in to 2 3/8 blade max), and when I don't feel like carrying my handgun (or need to be more discrete) I will also add an edged kerambit or an impact kerambit.

Back