great advice paulo, relax and enjoy and have some fun out there!

Best advice anybody can give is: Don't overthink your game and have some fun.

One other thing that has helped me (and isn't a swing thought) is to pick a very small target and aim for it. When you are doing your pre-shot routine, pick the spot, look at it and see it in your head, and let the club put the ball there. You will be surprised how many times it actually works.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a new shaft in your driver. Yes, some of them are expensive, but there shafts out there that shouldn't be too much.

I wouldn't add any technical advice at the moment. I'll just say - relax and enjoy it. Don't fill your head with thoughts during a swing. Have a clear image of the shot you want before you step up to the ball, and trust the swing you've got to pull it off. Swing thoughts are for the practice ground, they'll only clutter up your head and cause frustration during the round.

Paulo you have hit the nail on the head!!!!! I have been through a six lesson package recently and I have just about runied my swing completed by thinking too much. From NOW on I promise myself to just relax and hit the freaking ball hopefull straight, go find it, and hit it again. Paralysis by analsys will burn your booty on the golf course!!!!!!!

Technical matters can look after themselves if you learn to trust what you do. This book helped me a load and was recommended to me by my pro. It's a worthwhile read - nothing about wrist positions, hip turn et al, just about freeing yourself up to allow yourself to perform and squeeze every ounce out of this agonising but beautiful game. Lots of useful stuff in here.

http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Golf-Art-Possible-Perigee/dp/039952276X

If you have a camera or a camcorder, take it with you to the range and video yourself from the side (facing you) and behind (looking downrange). Post those to Andy, and he should be able to help you a bunch.

Dont have an expectations going into the round. If you score bad on the first few holes you will panic and try to do stupid things. I know, I've done it. Clear your head, swing your swing, dont force a thing.

Hopefully you get that yellow Srixon by the 29th, you wont lose it!

sacul- no camcorder. Oh, those balls came in today I pm'd you about it.
Ouimet- Thanks for the recommendation, I will be sure to check it out.

Paulo you have hit the nail on the head!!!!! I have been through a six lesson package recently and I have just about runied my swing completed by thinking too much. From NOW on I promise myself to just relax and hit the freaking ball hopefull straight, go find it, and hit it again. Paralysis by analsys will burn your booty on the golf course!!!!!!!

Thanks. I just need to set about listening to my own advice now! It's so much easier to give than it is to follow! :D

Okay guys, its go time. I got a 11 oclock tee time tomorow at Hidden Meadows. I got a couple of different golf balls I will test out, as well as my trusty NXT Tour. I have a more consistent driver swing. I also have to pray it doesnt rain...

I will have to keep it straight off the tee. That is the key to Hidden Meadows. If you play a fade, you're screwed. If you play a draw, you're fine. Straight, you're okay. Last time I was battling a slice, and I lost 10 golf balls over 9 holes... Yeah....

So guys, wish me luck. I also gotta try my best friends new Slingshot irons... I swear, I been playing 6 years, he's been playing 6 months. :confused2:

I will post a analysis and course review as soon as I finish my round.

Thanks bud. That course is brutal. I will need luck.

Thanks bud. That course is brutal. I will need luck.
Don't sell yourself short. The one thing I try when I get the slices is to start my swing with the hip rotation. We may be young, but that's no reason to only use the arms! Good luck on the round, and I look forward to hearing your results!

Good luck, hope you really enjoy it! Look forward to the report.

Well guys, I played a round today. It wasnt pretty. I shot 61-55, for a total of 116. I didn't have a good day with my irons. I was also thrown for a bit of a loop on the start of the back 9, when the power draw I had played all day changed into a slice for 4 holes. Nonetheless, the back 9 was much better all around than the front. I was also hitting the irons much better on the back. So, I know what I need to work on at the range, and we will see about my next round, which will probably be in a few weeks.

Pars- 2
Bogeys- 2
doubles- 6
GIR- 5

I had a few birdie opportunities that I didn't convert. I also had a stretch at the beginning of the back in which I made two 8's and a 7.

I actually drove the ball reasonably well for most of the day. That is uncommon for me. I had way too many 3 putts. I had about 8 or 9 3 putts. I cant work on this at the house, so it is understandable, but still needs to be fixed. Also, I was testing out a few different types of balls, and the NXT continues to work better for my game. I hit them a little straighter, and the spin profile works well for my game. The premium balls actually hindered me a little bit, because I am still getting used to the greenside spin they provide.

I did have a few notable shots today. I was about 120 away, hitting to an elevated pin, on a severley undulated green. I dropped a hard pitching wedge to withing 4 feet, and two putted for the first par of my life.
I also decided to hit a short iron off the tee on a medium length par 4 to ensure that I didnt end up in the woods. I had a solid lie in the fairway, and I decided to go for it from around 190-200. I pulled the 5 iron, and actually hit the green, and watched it take a bad bounce over the green. Bummer, but I had a perfect line, and I hit it better than I have ever hit a 5 iron.

Thanks for listening to this horror story! I will find out where I am playing next, and then post my goals for the round.

Sounds like you had a productive round, and decided on a where to in terms of progression!

By the looks of your stats, you could pull that score way down with better putting, which is all about the practice. So I wouldn't get down about the result at all.

By the looks of your stats, you could pull that score way down with better putting, which is all about the practice. So I wouldn't get down about the result at all.

Yeah, I am considering buying a putting green that has moldable contures. Seems like that is definatly a good way to do some serious stroke shaving.

It really is. If you're hitting 5 GIR in what you call a bad round, then that's 5 pars you should be looking at there. That in itself would raise your confidence levels and have a good effect on the rest of the game. Even practice rolling on a rug or carpet helps you build a smoother stroke.

Well, I was bored today, so I started thinking. I realised that I don't know my iron distances. I always just kinda guessed. I figured, Heck, I need to fix that.
I recently got my dunlop H Force starter set back from my buddy, who bought some Nike Slingshots. They have much better grips, so I used them for my round, and found out I could swing more easily with them.

I hit the range, and got the following distances:

Pitching Wedge- 160
9- 170
8- 180
7- 185-190
Driver- 220 :confused:

All in all, I was very pleased with my iron distances. Is this about where I should be as far as distance gapping goes?

Well, I was bored today, so I started thinking. I realised that I don't know my iron distances. I always just kinda guessed. I figured, Heck, I need to fix that.
I recently got my dunlop H Force starter set back from my buddy, who bought some Nike Slingshots. They have much better grips, so I used them for my round, and found out I could swing more easily with them.

I hit the range, and got the following distances:

Pitching Wedge- 160
9- 170
8- 180
7- 185-190
Driver- 220 :confused:

All in all, I was very pleased with my iron distances. Is this about where I should be as far as distance gapping goes?

160 with a pitching wedge? holy crap! at 170 most people are using 7 iron some even a 6 iron.. is this your carry and roll or just carry?

and with your wedge yardage that means you would probably hit a 5 iron just as far as you driver. you sure you did that right? lol

160 with a pitching wedge? holy crap! at 170 most people are using 7 iron some even a 6 iron.. is this your carry and roll or just carry?

and with your wedge yardage that means you would probably hit a 5 iron just as far as you driver. you sure you did that right? lol

Carry and roll, but it is very sandy, so roll is minimal.

I thought they looked funny too, but they are correct. I was consitantly out hitting my rather athletic friend by 20 or 30 yards.
I dont know how I hit that well today, but I did. My ballstriking has improved significantly.

Wow, what the heck do you use for approach shots?

Wow, what the heck do you use for approach shots?

Anything under 100 I use a 56 degree, but I can use the p wedge and just half swing it. These distances are unheard of for me. I have never came close to these before.

Okay. Played a two man best ball tourney, shot 94. ugh.
My wedge game has gone to hell. I couldnt chip to save my life. My ballstriking was shoddy too.

However, driving was great. I hit one about 290-300. The hook was almost completely gone off the tee. My average drive increased by about 20+ yards. New driver and ball definatley staying in the bag.

The saga continues...

I am trying to teach myself how to work the ball off my irons. I went out, and decided to start with a fade, as I figure it will be harder due to my natural draw. Went well, I could put about 20 yards of turn (controled) on my 7 iron. I think that when I get the hang of it, I will move on to a power draw, then hi-lo trajectories.

Back