JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, here it goes.

When I was 12 I shot 114. So far, because I didn't get to touch a course for the next four years, that is my best round.

Well I am back. I played one round in the spring, and after two holes I threw away the scorecard. I have developed 1 goal, with five sub-goals.

Primary objective- Break 100

Secondary objectives-

1. Eliminate 30 yard slice off driver. Not an issue with irons.
2. Improve ball-striking
3. Play at least once a month.
4. Improve driver distance by 20 yards by improving impact position.
5. Make more putts.

Chipping and other short game shots for me are actually a non-issue. I have little problems getting the ball to five feet from some VERY dicey positions. Like a blind flop straight up a STEEP hill to about 8 feet. It is the one good part of my game.

I plan on buying new equipmeent for Christmas, and want to improve my game substantially by then.

Any tips to help me achieve these goals is greatlly appreciated.

Thanks.

I tell you what straightened out my Driver......I practiced with my 8 iron.

I worked on my swing and tempo with my 8 iron, and tried to use the same relaxed swing with the Driver and BINGO!!! I only hit 5 balls with the Driver a day, and if I hit three good ones I stop before 5. Nothing kills a good swing faster than pounding away at balls with the driver.

The Driver makes you do funky things because we want so bad to hit the ball strong and make it go far, something we usually don't do with all our other clubs. It creates tension, and a poor swing. Stay loose, and take a good fundamental swing, the Driver will quickly begin to straighten out and gain distance. And you won't be working nearly as hard...

I tell you what straightened out my Driver......I practiced with my 8 iron.

I worked on my swing and tempo with my 8 iron, and tried to use the same relaxed swing with the Driver and BINGO!!! I only hit 5 balls with the Driver a day, and if I hit three good ones I stop before 5. Nothing kills a good swing faster than pounding away at balls with the driver.

The Driver makes you do funky things because we want so bad to hit the ball strong and make it go far, something we usually don't do with all our other clubs. It creates tension, and a poor swing. Stay loose, and take a good fundamental swing, the Driver will quickly begin to straighten out and gain distance. And you won't be working nearly as hard...

Thanks for the tip.

I will post updates regularly. I will try to save up to go to a golf course over the next few weeks. Ill post detailed info then.

As said above, stay loose, tension kills. I was playing yesterday and at 18 a huge hores fly was attacking me. I just had to take a quick swing at the ball without really thinking about it just to get away from that horse fly. Best drive of the day.

relax and have fun. best of luck keep us posted!

Work on your short game, Junior. If you can't afford to play a lot of rounds, can you get to a course with a big putting green and chip and putt for free?

My Mom would take me to the local muni before she went to work in the morning and I would chip and putt for several hours and she would pick me up on her lunch hour.

Also when I was a kid I used to go to the grounds of an elementary school with a shag bag and three milk crates. I would throw one milk crate as far as I could, walk out to that one and throw the next as far as I could, walk to that one and throw it. I would go back to where I threw the first one and hit one third of my shag bag to each crate. Then I would go and chip the balls I hit at the first one until they were all close to the crate. Then I would chip/pitch those to the second crate, and also chip the balls I had hit at the second crate until two thirds of the balls were around that crate. Repeat that until all the balls were right around the third crate. Then I would throw them back in the original direction and do it all again.

I did this until the cops or the school custodian chased me off the grounds. Eventually they banned the hitting of golf balls there and I would go to a park and do the same thing. I was a skinny boy with a huge slice that couldn't hit the ball out of his own shadow, but I could get up and down like nobody's business. Then I got bigger, got on the golf team, learned to hit the ball much better, and eventually let my short game slide. Which was stupid.

Kevin

Work on your short game, Junior. If you can't afford to play a lot of rounds, can you get to a course with a big putting green and chip and putt for free?

My Mom would take me to the local muni before she went to work in the morning and I would chip and putt for several hours and she would pick me up on her lunch hour.

Also when I was a kid I used to go to the grounds of an elementary school with a shag bag and three milk crates. I would throw one milk crate as far as I could, walk out to that one and throw the next as far as I could, walk to that one and throw it. I would go back to where I threw the first one and hit one third of my shag bag to each crate. Then I would go and chip the balls I hit at the first one until they were all close to the crate. Then I would chip/pitch those to the second crate, and also chip the balls I had hit at the second crate until two thirds of the balls were around that crate. Repeat that until all the balls were right around the third crate. Then I would throw them back in the original direction and do it all again.

I did this until the cops or the school custodian chased me off the grounds. Eventually they banned the hitting of golf balls there and I would go to a park and do the same thing. I was a skinny boy with a huge slice that couldn't hit the ball out of his own shadow, but I could get up and down like nobody's business. Then I got bigger, got on the golf team, learned to hit the ball much better, and eventually let my short game slide. Which was stupid.

Kevin

Thanks, esox. I work on my chip and putt whenever I go down to the driving range, but thats 40 miles away. I work various other sort game shots at the house. I need to work my putting and judgement on the greens the most. As I said, the wedges are te clubs I am most comfortable with, though they have to be replaced. They are so short I cant use them for any ting more than a half shot!

Well, I hit the Driver today in the park. I was there for 2 1/2 hours and hit around 20 balls. Sucks when you gotta go find them.
I was averaging 200 yards of carry. No idea how much roll, the ball plugged into the soft mud (it rained this morning.) I hit two that I would consider perfect (for me). Then I lost my head. I started, like te idiot I am, trying to rip them out over te baseball fields( about 275). Didnt go well. I slapped myself around a bit, and then hit two more good ones. I had 4 that I liked(dead straight, low-mid ball flight), 12 I could accept (about a 20 yard slice, low to mid flight, or a low draw, about ten yards of curve), and four that I couldnt stand to watch (high pop ups into the trees) I also hit one that would have gone about 230 or 240, save for a lowhanging branch and a slight fade.

These were with five dollar wilson maximums. I feel like I can get mor distace out of a better ball, as I have in the past (found a Nike One Platinum in a recycled bag that I could blister)

Any tips on the errant shots, other than dont get a big head?

Last edited:
Just got done with todays short game practice. First time in a while I have got out and done a devoted chipping and pitching session. After a few shots to get loose I just let muscle memory take over. Fine tuned my stroke on the pitch shot. Not pretty, but it works.

Your dedication is awesome and with enough practice I am sure you will be reaching your goals. I have a lot of the same problems as you so I cannot offer any advice but I do wish you the best of luck reaching your goals :smile:

Your dedication is awesome and with enough practice I am sure you will be reaching your goals. I have a lot of the same problems as you so I cannot offer any advice but I do wish you the best of luck reaching your goals :smile:

Thanks. The niblick working for you?

I don't know if it applies but the best tip I ever got was to straighten my right elbow asap on the downswing. Strike that. That was the best advice I listened to. The best advice I got was to find a different sport. Croquet just didn't float my boat. If you ever lost a car in a high stakes game of croquet you'd know what I am talking about.

You truly sound like your on the right track. Best of luck.

I don't know if it applies but the best tip I ever got was to straighten my right elbow asap on the downswing. Strike that. That was the best advice I listened to. The best advice I got was to find a different sport. Croquet just didn't float my boat. If you ever lost a car in a high stakes game of croquet you'd know what I am talking about.

You truly sound like your on the right track. Best of luck.

lol. Funny stuff

Ahh. I understand. I swap drivers twice a day

I am regressing.

I am also thinking about throwing away my Nike SuMo 2. All the enhanced MOI aint doing jack **** for me. If you want the thing, pm me and we will talk.

Got out and worked on my flop shot today. Went pretty well, even with the two peice rocks I practice with. Also worked on my 20 to thirty yard pitch. That went okay. I caught it fat on my lawns tall grass a few times, but nothing major. I went over to where I hit my driver, which is at the top of a hill (its a funky lawn.) I felt pretty good, took a medium strength swing.

Snap hook. Went like a rocket straight down the hill, and into my psycho neighbors pasture. Hit another, same thing. I decide not to lose any more balls, and to retire the most up to date club in the bag.

Guys, any Ideas?

PS I am planning to go golfing on the 29th. It will be my first outing since that debacle In spring. I will take a steno pad and take notes. I hope looking at these will allow me to analyse my shortcomings better.

Last edited:
Change that mindset first. You are not "regressing" you are "learning" and sometimes when we learn we have to take some pain along the way. You've just got some of that pain out of the way, that's all.

I suddenly developed a bad hook some time ago after playing over 20 years without ever doing it. It came just like that and it's been a devil to fix (and I haven't truly won the battle yet but I will) and I was really puzzled as to why this should happen, so I know where you are coming from.

First up, it's not the driver, although 8.5 deg and x-stiff is unlikely to be your optimal set up. It's a closed faced that hooks and it always will be.

If I were you I'd get fit for a driver ar at least grab a cheap 2nd hand one with more like and 11 deg loft and a less stiff shaft and have a go with that. See a pro, ask ours, watch Brian Manzella - any of those will help and maybe all 3 wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you can post up a video of your swing. If you can't do you feel any of teh following...

1. That you wrap the club round yourself with a lot of hip turn?
2. That you hit with your arms/hands?
3. That you are cramped at impact?

Any of those will be a hooky tendency and a good place to start fixing.

Good luck with it cos I know how much it hurts.

Ouimet has it right. My daughter plays and I see a lot of junior golfers. Lots of them, and I mean most, at some point struggle with an inside takeaway and an over the top move that can lead to pull/hooks.

Kevin

I think it is my hands at impact. It just felt bad before I even hit the ball. Feels like I am letting them turn over. I cant work on it today, but tomorrow I will. I had to help survey some new land and a am tired as all get out.

I know its just a learning process. I am of the personal belief that you cant get to be a golfer untill youve had the shanks, which I have before.

But I still hate em.

Thanks guys. Post a shortgame session later, I am gonna work on low trajectory shots. Golf trip on the 29th!

A wise, wise man once said, "I am a stupid." I am quoting that man for a reason.

I thought I was hitting nothing but hooks or pushes or whatever. I wasnt.

I was hitting them dead straight.

Yes, they were bad shots, but only because they were topped.

I went out today and practiced from tight lies with my wedges. Felt good, so that little voice said, "Go ahead, get the driver, lose your last two golf balls."
I listened.

I got my older driver, which is a clone of the R7. I have never been unable to hit it, but it has almost all of its grip worn away, so it is retired for a little while. I hit a golf ball, high, and straight, into my neighbors pasture. "Oh God" I thought, but then I noticed something.

It was going exactly where I was aiming.

My "tee box" is comprised of a mixture of short grass, divots, and a stump. All of these look like they point straight forward. Therefore, I line up by them almost all the time. They dont point straight though. I laid my driver down along my feet, and saw that my line went straight into the pasture, about 30 degrees left of where I want to aim. The only reason I never noticed is because my drives sliced so severely That my slices appeared to go straight.

I am a stupid.

Oh, tight lies practice went very well. I usually am not as good from hard pan, dirt, or anything of the like with my wedges, but today went very smoothly. Even managed to hit a few flop shots from hard pan. I can usually not pull that off.

I am still not putting the Nike back in the bag though. Its too loud, too short as far a distance goes, and I cant afford a good shaft to go in it right now. It also just feels, IDK, clunky. I cant feel anything when I hit the ball, just a dull thump, wit a very loud twang that scares people.
R7 clone has taken its place once again.

I thought he said 'What a stupid I am!', but that's just quibbling. He wasn't so stupid on the golf course, shooting a 65 the last day of the Masters to tie. The stupid part came when he didn't carefully check his scorecard and signed for a 66 to lose by one. The kind of stupid where one shoots 65 the last day of a major is the kind we can all live with!

Keep it up - practice will be your key to breaking 100 and then future goals!

I thought he said 'What a stupid I am!', but that's just quibbling. He wasn't so stupid on the golf course, shooting a 65 the last day of the Masters to tie. The stupid part came when he didn't carefully check his scorecard and signed for a 66 to lose by one. The kind of stupid where one shoots 65 the last day of a major is the kind we can all live with!

Keep it up - practice will be your key to breaking 100 and then future goals!

I think you might be right. Oh well, It was still funnier than heck, either way. Such honesty. And mad, mad skills.

Okay, golf trip in a week. Here are my goals.

1. Retire the 3 and 4 iron. I can't hit them, so I am just gonna stop trying. Going to replace with a 3h
2. Keep even tempo. I am so bad about this on a course. on the range I am fine, but the second I get on the fairway I let my rythem go to hell. I get out of my backswing way too fast, catch it either really fat or really thin, or I hook or slice, or any number of other things that would make an instructor clutch their side in pain. So, nice... even... tempo...
3. Dont try to hurt the ball off the tee. I am a teenager, so it is a natural instinct to wan't to wail on the ball. I just have to swing with about the same force as I do a midiron, and the ball flies further and straighter.
4. Pre-shot routine. I am bad about rushing to the tee and just taking a swipe at the ball. I will go through a simple pre-shot routine before my shots.
5. Observe. I will take notes on the way to the next hole. GIR's, fairways hit, total putts, all of this must be recorded.
6. Analysis. I must study above notes after round. I will probably post statistics on this thread for your insight, if you wouldn't mind offering it, and look to see where I am struggling te most, and what I can do to improve it.
7. Course upkeep. I have to admit, I am bad on this. I realize that care for the course is an essential part of the enjoyment of the game because it not only leaves the course in beter condition for me, but for my fellow players. Now that I know how to properly repair ball marks, I will buy a divot tool and repair not only my own, but I will teach my partner, who is new to the game, how to do it also. I got him into the game, and I was negligent in teaching him course care, which should have been the first thing I told him about.

I think that if I follow these goals, I will post somewhere just above 100. I am striking the ball with much more confidence now. I am driving better tan I ever have in my life, I practice wedge play for an hour a day, and have expanded my short game repetiore to include a variety of 'situational' shots, because I manage to find some interesting lies. I also have found a golf ball that seems to fit my playing style very well, and I believe it has helped me improve both distance off the irons as well as feel around the greens. In other words, I have a better chance of breaking 100 now than I ever have. Wish me luck guys, and I would appreciate any tips before I go.

Last edited:
Okay, golf trip in a week. Here are my goals.

1. Retire the 3 and 4 iron. I can't hit them, so I am just gonna stop trying. Going to replace with a 3h
2. Keep even tempo. I am so bad about this on a course. on the range I am fine, but the second I get on the fairway I let my rythem go to hell. I get out of my backswing way too fast, catch it either really fat or really thin, or I hook or slice, or any number of other things that would make an instructor clutch their side in pain. So, nice... even... tempo...
3. Dont try to hurt the ball off the tee. I am a teenager, so it is a natural instinct to wan't to wail on the ball. I just have to swing with about the same force as I do a midiron, and the ball flies further and straighter.
4. Pre-shot routine. I am bad about rushing to the tee and just taking a swipe at the ball. I will go through a simple pre-shot routine before my shots.
5. Observe. I will take notes on the way to the next hole. GIR's, fairways hit, total putts, all of this must be recorded.
6. Analysis. I must study above notes after round. I will probably post statistics on this thread for your insight, if you wouldn't mind offering it, and look to see where I am struggling te most, and what I can do to improve it.
7. Course upkeep. I have to admit, I am bad on this. I realize that care for the course is an essential part of the enjoyment of the game because it not only leaves the course in beter condition for me, but for my fellow players. Now that I know how to properly repair ball marks, I will buy a divot tool and repair not only my own, but I will teach my partner, who is new to the game, how to do it also. I got him into the game, and I was negligent in teaching him course care, which should have been the first thing I told him about.

I think that if I follow these goals, I will post somewhere just above 100. I am striking the ball with much more confidence now. I am driving better tan I ever have in my life, I practice wedge play for an hour a day, and have expanded my short game repetiore to include a variety over 'situational' shots, because I manage to find some interesting lies. I also have found a golf ball that seems to fit my playing style very well, and I believe it has helped me improve both distance off the irons as well as feel around the greens. In other words, I have a better chance of breaking 100 now than I ever have. Wish me luck guys, and I would appreciate any tips before I go.

Really good points to concentrate on. I agree with you wholeheartedly that bad tempo and trying to kill the ball is the death of many a tee shot. And a repeatable preshot routine gets your mind and body in a good place to perform.

Also agree that all but the best golfers should never hit a 3 iron, and 4 irons aren't much better. I myself have replaced those clubs with hybrids and it was probably the best equipment decision I ever made. As we speak, I'm thinking of ditching my 5iron for a 3rd hybrid too, they are that much easier to hit for me.

Good luck with your round this week, but don't be frustrated if the score doesn't match your expectations... it may take some time.

Really good points to concentrate on. I agree with you wholeheartedly that bad tempo and trying to kill the ball is the death of many a tee shot. And a repeatable preshot routine gets your mind and body in a good place to perform.

Also agree that all but the best golfers should never hit a 3 iron, and 4 irons aren't much better. I myself have replaced those clubs with hybrids and it was probably the best equipment decision I ever made. As we speak, I'm thinking of ditching my 5iron for a 3rd hybrid too, they are that much easier to hit for me.

Good luck with your round this week, but don't be frustrated if the score doesn't match your expectations... it may take some time.

I learned long ago that this game doesn't give a dang what your expectations are, so I am not going to be surprised if I post 150. I believe I am playing well enough to break 100, but I fully accept that I prolly wont

I wouldn't add any technical advice at the moment. I'll just say - relax and enjoy it. Don't fill your head with thoughts during a swing. Have a clear image of the shot you want before you step up to the ball, and trust the swing you've got to pull it off. Swing thoughts are for the practice ground, they'll only clutter up your head and cause frustration during the round.

Back