Difference between wedges...

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
What's the difference between a lob wedge, or a gap wedge? What scenario would they be used in?

They are different lofts. They are used for different distances.

Both are for two totally different things. Gap wedges are designed to fill the yardage gap between your PW and SW.
The LW is designed for those short soft shots around the green.High pitch shots over a bunker with a tucked pin. Yes, you can still swing the LW full like you would any other wedge.

One observation I would make is if you aren't a very good ball striker meaning you can pick the ball, a lob wedge is a VERY tough club to hit on a full shot off the fairway. Most have little bounce and will skull the ball if you dont pick it perfect. I just carry a pw, gw or aw, and a 56 degree sw that layed open i can hit high enough i dont need a lw. however every person is different and if you have trouble hitting a ball high and stopping it around the greens the lob wedge is considered by most to be the greatest innovation in the past 25 years.

Let's add to clg82's question. What about these wedges being used on thin lies? Normal lies? Fluffy lies? What if you have a GW with very little, or no bounce? Would you still need a LW with little, or no bounce?

The most important thing I know about a LW is you need to practice with this more so than any other club in your bag. It's a tough club to hit properly. Once you pull that club out of your bag for the shot at hand, you can't be afraid to swing it. However once one becomes proficient with a LW, it can be the best friend a golfer has in their bag. It can make a golfer a great putter.

I carry 4 wedges, and I find that use my LW, and SW more often than I do my GW, or PW.

Pine Meadow Golf sells a 68* LW. If you want to really experience pure frustration, buy, and try this club.

Let's add to clg82's question. What about these wedges being used on thin lies? Normal lies? Fluffy lies? What if you have a GW with very little, or no bounce? Would you still need a LW with little, or no bounce?.

That is why companies such as Bridgestone and Eidolon and others are making V-sole and Dual Bounce wedges. So different lies can be played.

Pine Meadow Golf sells a 68* LW. If you want to really experience pure frustration, buy, and try this club.

In our wedge shoot out we had a 73* wedge from Feel Golf.

That is why companies such as Bridgestone and Eidolon and others are making V-sole and Dual Bounce wedges. So different lies can be played.
Short of carrying a dozen different wedges around in the trunk of your car the best thing to do in my opinion if you are not sure exactly the conditions are going to be like when you play is to carry a sand wedge with plenty of bounce, at least 10*, a GW with bounce that is not much higher than your PW most of which are about 4*, 6 * would be a good compromise, and then carry a 60* wedge with about 8* bounce that you can hit from anywhere. If you go with dual grind it will help you on more types of turf, and from trouble spots, but if you are in the fairway a lot you have fewer factors to consider. Here in Texas I have always carried at least one dual grind wedge at all times because of the chance of having spongy sandy turf to hit off of in the middle of the fairway and also to cover the chance I might have a tight lie on hardpan to pick the ball off of.

A 60 with an 8 bounce makes a real good sand wedge. I use the SW for chips and full swing 50 yard shots. My 60 has become my bunker club! The 60 takes practice but it's a real good half swing 25 yard flop shot for me.

Short of carrying a dozen different wedges around in the trunk of your car the best thing to do in my opinion if you are not sure exactly the conditions are going to be like when you play is to carry a sand wedge with plenty of bounce, at least 10*, a GW with bounce that is not much higher than your PW most of which are about 4*, 6 * would be a good compromise, and then carry a 60* wedge with about 8* bounce that you can hit from anywhere. If you go with dual grind it will help you on more types of turf, and from trouble spots, but if you are in the fairway a lot you have fewer factors to consider. Here in Texas I have always carried at least one dual grind wedge at all times because of the chance of having spongy sandy turf to hit off of in the middle of the fairway and also to cover the chance I might have a tight lie on hardpan to pick the ball off of.

I think the amount of bounce you carry should depend on the type of player you are. Everybody is extremely different. People that pick the ball will use different bounce than those that are "diggers". People should try different options and see what works best rather than just pick.

One observation I would make is if you aren't a very good ball striker meaning you can pick the ball, a lob wedge is a VERY tough club to hit on a full shot off the fairway. Most have little bounce and will skull the ball if you dont pick it perfect. I just carry a pw, gw or aw, and a 56 degree sw that layed open i can hit high enough i dont need a lw. however every person is different and if you have trouble hitting a ball high and stopping it around the greens the lob wedge is considered by most to be the greatest innovation in the past 25 years.

Move it back off your right toe almost and break your wrists a little more than usual to pick the club up fairly sharply then hit down on it, it will pop up perfect every time. Zach Johnson does something similar to this with wedges he wants to keep low, but it makes it easier to hit any wedge and put a lot of spin on it. If you are blading it with a full swing then just move the ball back a little, maybe 1/2 ball, in your stance. I carry a 64 all the time and use it for lobs and flops but also for shots with a lot of spin from about 85 yards and in.

I think the amount of bounce you carry should depend on the type of player you are. Everybody is extremely different. People that pick the ball will use different bounce than those that are "diggers". People should try different options and see what works best rather than just pick.

True for all of your irons, but for wedges, and precise shots with wedges, you are at a disadvantage trying to play a shot from spongy turf with a low bounce wedge no matter who you are, alternatively trying to hit a shot off a tight lie on dry ground and without some considerable adjustment to your stroke that shot will be bladed with a high bounce wedge most of the time.

True for all of your irons, but for wedges, and precise shots with wedges, you are at a disadvantage trying to play a shot from spongy turf with a low bounce wedge no matter who you are, alternatively trying to hit a shot off a tight lie on dry ground and without some considerable adjustment to your stroke that shot will be bladed with a high bounce wedge most of the time.

You are absolutely correct, which goes back to my thought that for beginners wedges with dual bounce help more. We have no problem nor did our testers with hitting from hard tight lies with them or spongy soft lies.

I used PMG as a less expensive ($20) example. I have FG's 73* wedge that I use in my back yard.
In our wedge shoot out we had a 73* wedge from Feel Golf.

I hate to be the one to throw this out again but wedges are another part of the bag that you should be fit for. A good fitter will help you figure out and fill your yardage gaps as well as fit you for the proper bounce.

The bounce on the club can be fit by your current swing, but you also want to take into consideration your normal course conditions. The combination of this info will help the fitter not only fit the loft and lie but the bounce needed for your wedges. I cannot stress enough the importance of being fit for bounce.

JB is right if that is not an option the dual bounce wedges are a great way to go! They can be used in many different situations and made to work well.

Back