True Temper Iron Shaft Project

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Shafts? This is a question that more and more THP forum members are starting to ask themselves. More specifically, which shaft is best for my game? and how do I go about finding the right shaft for me?

At the 2010 Spring THP outing in Sarasota, FL, these questions were at the top of my mind. I've long felt as though my current shafts, Callaway Uniflex, were not right for my swing and my golf game. I've struggled with a high ball flight since the day and I had them and I am positive that they were robbing me of distance and accuracy. Living in the mountains of Western North Carolina, I didn't have the option of visiting with a master club fitter, and as a left hander, it's difficult to find a retailer that has demo clubs with different shaft options. I was stuck, I was frustrated with my current setup and I didn't know where to start.

Enter the Spring THP outing! Perfect timing for me to have the opportunity to pick JB's brain. We spoke at length about my golf game, my goals, and what I would need to do in order to optimize my irons with the perfect shaft. JB is a firm believer in getting "completely" fit and I couldn't agree more with him. JB understood that because I am limited, based on my location and my dexterity, that an EXCELLENT static fitting would be ideal. I was asked to begin doing research on iron shafts and I gladly accepted the challenge.

Enter True Temper! I automatically found myself researching this company and their product lines, and their amazing array of iron shaft options. I've always heard of True Temper but had no idea how extensive their product line is for iron shafts. The more I delved into their website, www.truetemper.com, the more I realized how tough this was going to be to make a decision. I know more about True Temper's line of iron shafts than I ever would've imagined. The history of the company is impressive in itself, but what really makes them shine is their presence on professional golf tours. True Temper truly can claim to be "The #1 Shaft in Golf".

Based on my research I assumed that 2 shafts were going to be ideal for me when it came to lowering my ball flight, increasing distance, and improving accuracy: the Dynamic Gold X100 and the Project X 6.0. I was sure of it, but how could I be positive, how could I verify this?

Enter True Temper's ShaftFit! Quite possibly the most cutting edge, easy to use, static fitting process anywhere. The site itself is clean and simple, www.shaftfit.com, and it literally takes minutes to complete the online static fitting. Once you start the shaftfit process, you must answer 6 questions. I recommend that you answer these questions as honestly, truthfully, and with as little pride as possible. No doubt about it, I probably went through the process 100 times, just to see what it said and every single time I answered honestly. Sometimes I would answer "not sure" and other times I would answer the way I normally would and 90% of the time I kept getting the same exact recommendation:

Rifle 6.0
rifle1.jpg

Enter the Rifle 6.0 Shaft by True Temper! The shafts arrived yesterday from True Temper's headquarters in Memphis, TN. The packaging was perfect and you can tell that the folks at True Temper take pride in the quality and beauty of their work. The shafts are gorgeous! Here are a couple unboxing pictures:

30063_404943778426_537878426_4230906_4467550_n.jpg

30063_404943793426_537878426_4230907_461048_n.jpg

I am scheduled to have the Rifle 6.0's installed next Monday and a lot of range testing will follow. I have picked up an extra Callaway X22 pitching wedge with the stock uniflex shaft that I will be using to compare to one with the new shaft in it. I am hoping to notice a slight increase in yardage, a more penetrating ball flight, and some increased accuracy.

I will keep adding to this post as range, course, and tournament play continues throughout the next few months.

I would like to thank True Temper and THP for giving me the opportunity to better enhance my golf game, and to share my experiences with my forum friends. I am excited about this process and can't wait to share my trials and tribulations with all.

Please feel free to ask me any questions at any time.

-TC

nice writeup about how you came to this decision. True Temper makes some high quality shafts. I hope they work out for you. Can't wait to hear some updates

For those wondering, this came based on what was coming up in the THP Forum. More people were talking and posting about how they wanted to get properly fit, but did not have any place to get that done. So we wanted to find someone in a similar situation and "challenge" them. We contacted the manufacturer that we felt offered the widest array of steel shafts and some of the best quality in the world.

THen we pitched the idea to a forum member. I want to personally thank True Temper for making this project possible. I also want to thank tcalloway for playing our personal guinea pig. It goes to show that forum activity can bring good things...haha

Good luck on the testing and I for one, cannot wait to see your results. Now when someone is stuck with "no fitters or funds to pay a fitter", this thread might be of service.

For those wondering, this came based on what was coming up in the THP Forum. More people were talking and posting about how they wanted to get properly fit, but did not have any place to get that done. So we wanted to find someone in a similar situation and "challenge" them. We contacted the manufacturer that we felt offered the widest array of steel shafts and some of the best quality in the world.

THen we pitched the idea to a forum member. I want to personally thank True Temper for making this project possible. I also want to thank tcalloway for playing our personal guinea pig. It goes to show that forum activity can bring good things...haha

Good luck on the testing and I for one, cannot wait to see your results. Now when someone is stuck with "no fitters or funds to pay a fitter", this thread might be of service.

yes, i suppose i should've said all that in my original post. not all of us have the fitting options/opportunities as others and true temper's shaftfit process is great if you find yourself wanting/needing iron shaft optimizing but are geographically handicapped to doing so in a physical location.

try the shaftfit process out, it's a lot of fun.

great stuff TC! cant wait to hear how the new shafts work out for you.

Great write up TC. Looking forward to your updates and how these work out for. I cant imagine you hitting the ball any farther than you do now. I for one am looking forward to the show :act-up:

Great write up TC. Looking forward to your updates and how these work out for. I cant imagine you hitting the ball any farther than you do now. I for one am looking forward to the show :act-up:

haha, thanks SMG. i'm not positive that they'll add a heap of distance but we'll see. you for one, have played a round of golf for me, so you know the "high ball" of which i'm speaking of. i cannot wait to get out and get some testing done!

Great stuff tc, can't wait to see how this goes for you. I myself feel like my ball flight is high with the iron's, yet I can't say that's a bad thing for me. Your results will tell us all something about ball flight with the irons.

Great stuff tc, can't wait to see how this goes for you. I myself feel like my ball flight is high with the iron's, yet I can't say that's a bad thing for me. Your results will tell us all something about ball flight with the irons.

thanks duey! i didn't hate the higher ball flight but i really struggled being able to hit a lower ball when i needed to, and that's not a good thing in windy conditions. i just know the importance and see the value in having shafts that fit you. i'm a believer and this opportunity is fantastic. i can't wait for updates, heck, i can't wait to have them put in, haha.

Wow! I was just about to post a shaft fitting thread. I had just visted the shaft fit site, and it reccomended the DYNAMIC GOLD HL S300 Stiff for me. Im currently using a uniflex shaft, and it feels to flexy for me. My ball flight is pretty high as well. So it seems this reccomendation makes sense. My post was going to be about how to get fit for shafts, and if there is any way to "try before you buy". Can't wait to hear how this turns out for you TCal.

Great write up TC and I wish the best for you in this quest. I look forward to hearing more about this.

Reactions: TC
Wow! I was just about to post a shaft fitting thread. I had just visted the shaft fit site, and it reccomended the DYNAMIC GOLD HL S300 Stiff for me. Im currently using a uniflex shaft, and it feels to flexy for me. My ball flight is pretty high as well. So it seems this reccomendation makes sense. My post was going to be about how to get fit for shafts, and if there is any way to "try before you buy". Can't wait to hear how this turns out for you TCal.

that's ironic! "try before you buy" is pretty much obsolete for me, particularly with where i live and b/c i'm a lefty. i think it's great that you've been through the shaftfit process. how many times did you do it? haha, i went through it about once a day for a two straight weeks.

can't wait to hear how your endeavour turns out as well!

that's ironic! "try before you buy" is pretty much obsolete for me, particularly with where i live and b/c i'm a lefty. i think it's great that you've been through the shaftfit process. how many times did you do it? haha, i went through it about once a day for a two straight weeks.

can't wait to hear how your endeavour turns out as well!

I've done it a few times. Hard to say what options I really shoudl be selecting, light/normal, fast/average, etc. I'm gonna try and find the Mizuno fitting somewhere. Is there something similar out there similar for driver shafts? What about hybrids?

I've done it a few times. Hard to say what options I really shoudl be selecting, light/normal, fast/average, etc. I'm gonna try and find the Mizuno fitting somewhere. Is there something similar out there similar for driver shafts? What about hybrids?

A launch monitor will give you all the data you need. Or you can come on down to the FL Demo Day this fall.

I'd kill to come to the fall outing, sadly I don't think I'll have to funds to pull it off. Any chance of a "Fall Outing Sweepstakes"? Ha, a man can dream can't he?!

Dude, I had no clue you were doing this. I can't wait to see first
Hand how this worked for you.

Cant wait to hear of the results, TC!

This should be a fun experiment for ya. I hope you get the results you're looking for.

Dude, I had no clue you were doing this. I can't wait to see first
Hand how this worked for you.

i wasn't really either setho! i was just asked to do some research about True Temper and their ShaftFit process and whether or not it was a process that I would benefit from due to my location and my dexterity.

Cant wait to hear of the results, TC!

This should be a fun experiment for ya. I hope you get the results you're looking for.

thanks guys! i am excited about this a lot.

hey TC, did you get extra length on the shafts?

hey TC, did you get extra length on the shafts?

yes sir. the last question in the shaftfit process is: do you require longer shafts or something like that. my 22's were fit to me and are 1/2'' longer. when the guy pulls the old shats out, he'll measure them and cut the new shafts then same length.

honestly, all i've been thinking about now is what grip to put on them....haha.

yeah I saw the question just curious how much length you added to them. my irons are +1 but if I get new shafts down the road I might go to +1/2 instead

yeah I saw the question just curious how much length you added to them. my irons are +1 but if I get new shafts down the road I might go to +1/2 instead

were you fit for your current irons sunday?

I did this several times a couple years ago when I got new clubs. At that time they didn't have the Royal Precision stuff on there yet so the options were pretty limited.

I just went through it again and they recommended the same shaft that I currently have. I guess all my testing paid off when I got my clubs.

TC, I am looking forward to hearing how this works out for you.

Nice going THP and True Temper.

Back