Range Finder and GPS users.....

No_Three_Jacks

Amateur around scratch
Reaction score
Handicap
Whats the furthest distance from the pin that you'll be, in which the shot becomes a "feel" shot and you dont require a yardage device?

Hard to say really. If I didn't use it, I wouldn't have known how far out I was. Sometimes you just know how you want to hit the shot when you see it. If I had to guess, I would say that is usually in the 40-50 yard range and in.

Less than 20 yards and my range finder has trouble getting a reading. Other than that, it's laser every time.

I would say somewhere slightly inside of 40 yards, I pretty much use it for all shots.

The tee box. I personally don't use a yardage device. I have never seen the point.

I would say about 65 out. At that point I am a full sand wedge. Inside of that, it is feel with a variety of club options.

If it's a course I haven't played before then I will use it for every shot apart from when I am around the green.

If it is a course that I know well then I will hardly use it as I tend to play to positions where I know what club to use

I check yardage about every shot

Inside of about 45 yards The range finder can't save me and it's up to my swing.

Tap before talk.

inside 75ish

Actually, I feel the need for knowing exact yardage the closer I am to the pin, at least until I get to within 10-15 yards of the green (not the pin). i.e. If I am chipping, I probably don't need to look at the GPS, and same if I am pitching over a greenside bunker, but any further, I will check the GPS and then try to adjust for flag placement.

Probably inside of 60-65 yds.

I can eyeball it probably within 60 - 80 yards and under....otherwise, its the GPS or the sprinkler heads

Last week, I would have answered differently, but this Sunday I chipped one from what looked like about 35 yards and bounced off the green into the backside rough. So if it's over 20 yards or so, I'll check my GPS or walk it off. FWIW -- I am also one of the 10% or so of the population that cannot or can barely discern depth in 3-D movies. I just saw "Thor", and not one single hammer throw flew out of the screen at me.

Back