Bushnell XGC Firmware upgrade beta

mtramfan

Reaction score
Handicap
I just got an email from igolf..They are offering a beta upgrade for the xgc. This upgrade will allow the xgc to hold all the courses in North America as well as fix some of the complaints about the scorekeeping function. This apparently does require you to send your unit in. I have an email in asking what the turnaround time is, but haven't heard yet. This sounds pretty good.

I just got an email from igolf..They are offering a beta upgrade for the xgc. This upgrade will allow the xgc to hold all the courses in North America as well as fix some of the complaints about the scorekeeping function. This apparently does require you to send your unit in. I have an email in asking what the turnaround time is, but haven't heard yet. This sounds pretty good.

I was planning to buy one of these in Wichita this weekend. I certainly don't want to turn around and have to send it back in. Wonder how you tell if it has the upgrade already?

I also sent them an email regarding the change in the way the device works. I liked the XGC because it did not require an annual fee to use the device, but only required to download courses. I wonder what the structure will be when the device holds everything. It seems like an annual fee, otherwise there will be no recurring fee to igolf or the units get more expensive.

Here is the info page http://www.igolf.com/xgcandsaturn/firmwareupdate.html

So it might be better to already have the unit and up-grade, or... who know's for sure at this point.

Since this is a beta upgrade I'm pretty sure the new ones won't be sold with this for a while.

Since this is a beta upgrade I'm pretty sure the new ones won't be sold with this for a while.

I am trying to predict the future and see if the unit that I like will now require a different pricing structure than when I bought it. Or they may be like other ones that require a one-time setup fee, since most folks probably do the first year and make do from that point.

When / if I get a response I will post.

The updates look pretty cool. However, I am not willing to send my device to them. I'm going to pass until they can do the upgrade from the website. I'm happy with the current features. Keep us posted on how it goes for those who do this.

I have just sent in my unit for the upgrade....and I agree, it does seem weird that they cannot do this via our personal computers. But, considering the upgrade, there may be a necessary hardware change that they are not telling us about....I will update this post as I get progress as well as final result!

EDITED: 7/2/10 - GPS Received and USED

6/22/10: Shipping Label Creation Date (from PA) via USPS Priority Mail
6/25/10: Delivered to L1 Tech
6/28/10: Device Changed to XGC Beta on igolf.com (no communication received, noticed the change when viewing profile)
6/29/10: Return Shipped - email from L1 shipping service. Shipped via USPS Priority Mail (to PA)
7/2/10: Return Received.
7/2/10: Usage Update. I got to use it today. First the syncing process is far better. Whatever courses you downloaded previously (under the new firmware) will automatically be sync'ed again, thus no need to go and search all over again. Also, by default, every course (15,000) have Green and Custom points mapped - for free!. The inital sync took about 1.5 minutes which had about 25 full maps to re-download.

I used it on the course, and the use is about the same. The Front, middle, back is the same, some minor UI changes. The cutoms points have no change. The map is far better, you can see where you would hit to (distance to that spot) and it will then give you distance to the green from there. This is great for doglegs.

It also sync's your scores and handicap. IF you used the handicap function on igolf.com, this will be sent to the device. And when you add a scrore while playing, on the next sync, it will be sent to igolf.com. Thus there is no need to have files, etc. on your personal PC, everything will be on igolf.com, thus you can sync from any PC (with JAVA).

Is it worth the $15 ($7 shipping, $8 return shipping)? Some may argue, but if you like tracking scores and want a better map, its worth it. If you just want Front/Middle/Back and play a limited number of courses and don't need any more, then no. But if you are a traveler it is worth is since you will ALWAYS have green and custom points no matter what.

AWESOME!

I will update the progress and pass along any communication I receive regardingmy unit/progress.

Last edited:
Maybe JB can get us some info? I'd like to know what I'm buying this weekend or if I should wait to buy?

Maybe JB can get us some info? I'd like to know what I'm buying this weekend or if I should wait to buy?

Not sure I can help, but I have forwarded this thread to Bushnell. They have some of the best customer service out there and I am sure they can assist.

Not sure I can help, but I have forwarded this thread to Bushnell. They have some of the best customer service out there and I am sure they can assist.

Thats great, thanks for the help JB!

Here is the info from my email request. Received this is < 24 hours.

>>>> Email contact from iGolf >>>>
With the new firmware, you will be able to use the device to provide front, center and back points on all mapped US Courses without an active membership. Continuing your iGolf.com Subscription will grant you access to Course Image files, as well as any updated or corrected course information that is uploaded to the database.
>>>> End Email >>>>

So it seems to be a model sort of like the Callaway uPro's (get basic for free and pay more for enhanced functionality). I guess the good part is that if you are playing a course out of your normal area, you can get around with basic yardages and not require a purchase just to get a single course.

I will wait to see about the upgrade process, but this seems like a no-brainer.

I asked two additional questions and got answers for anyone that is curious.

1) Will the firmware eventually be end-user installed? What about updates after the conversion, can those be done within the application?
Answer - I do not yet have an answer to those questions.

2) What is the turnaround on this?
Answer - Expect the device to be in the office for about 7 business days.

Great, as a possible new owner I will look around. Why go through this crap? Let them set models to compete and I will set models to do without.

what kind of got me holding off is the statement: " could void factory warranty"

igolf.groups says on 06/22/10:
The firmware Beta will have the Front, Center and Back data and Custom Points for all the US courses. The Map files will require downloads of the specific course you request. When sending in a XGC or Saturn for update, please only send the device. We do not need any case, cables or other accessories. An FAQ's link will soon be added to the Favorite Websites area for clarity on a majority of the questions that have been posted.

igolf.groups says on 06/22/10:
The update to firmware v2.0 will take 3-5 business days from receipt of the XGC or Saturn device in our office. Our iGolf Division is still looking for a solution to update the devices using an update utility program. Thank you for your continued patience.

FYI - i just received this since I was unable to download courses;

From igolf.com
Please wait for your device to be returned and follow the included instructions to Sync Course files to your device.

The files you currently have saved on your computer will not be compatible with the new Firmware, so you can hold off on downloading.
<END>

It looks like any files you downloaded and added custom points to will be LOST!!! DARN!! I mapped a lot of trees, etc on my local courses....looks like I will have to do it AGAIN! ????Why did they tell me to backup my data then????

From update form:
» Backup all files before sending in device as the firmware update will clear all files currently on device.

Here is the info from my email request. Received this is < 24 hours.

>>>> Email contact from iGolf >>>>
With the new firmware, you will be able to use the device to provide front, center and back points on all mapped US Courses without an active membership. Continuing your iGolf.com Subscription will grant you access to Course Image files, as well as any updated or corrected course information that is uploaded to the database.
>>>> End Email >>>>

So it seems to be a model sort of like the Callaway uPro's (get basic for free and pay more for enhanced functionality). I guess the good part is that if you are playing a course out of your normal area, you can get around with basic yardages and not require a purchase just to get a single course.

I will wait to see about the upgrade process, but this seems like a no-brainer.

What about for those of us that have the courses we play mapped and no longer pay the subscription fee? Would we lose the ability to see the course image or use custom points? That's one of the reasons that I bought this particular model, so that I could pay the one time fee to get my courses and not be obligated to have to pay it again.

I have just sent in my unit for the upgrade....and I agree, it does seem weird that they cannot do this via our personal computers. But, considering the upgrade, there may be a necessary hardware change that they are not telling us about....I will update this post as I get progress as well as final result!

EDITED: 7/2/10 - GPS Received and USED

6/22/10: Shipping Label Creation Date (from PA) via USPS Priority Mail
6/25/10: Delivered to L1 Tech
6/28/10: Device Changed to XGC Beta on igolf.com (no communication received, noticed the change when viewing profile)
6/29/10: Return Shipped - email from L1 shipping service. Shipped via USPS Priority Mail (to PA)
7/2/10: Return Received.
7/2/10: Usage Update. I got to use it today. First the syncing process is far better. Whatever courses you downloaded previously (under the new firmware) will automatically be sync'ed again, thus no need to go and search all over again. Also, by default, every course (15,000) have Green and Custom points mapped - for free!. The inital sync took about 1.5 minutes which had about 25 full maps to re-download.

I used it on the course, and the use is about the same. The Front, middle, back is the same, some minor UI changes. The cutoms points have no change. The map is far better, you can see where you would hit to (distance to that spot) and it will then give you distance to the green from there. This is great for doglegs.

It also sync's your scores and handicap. IF you used the handicap function on igolf.com, this will be sent to the device. And when you add a scrore while playing, on the next sync, it will be sent to igolf.com. Thus there is no need to have files, etc. on your personal PC, everything will be on igolf.com, thus you can sync from any PC (with JAVA).

Is it worth the $15 ($7 shipping, $8 return shipping)? Some may argue, but if you like tracking scores and want a better map, its worth it. If you just want Front/Middle/Back and play a limited number of courses and don't need any more, then no. But if you are a traveler it is worth is since you will ALWAYS have green and custom points no matter what.

AWESOME!

I will update the progress and pass along any communication I receive regardingmy unit/progress.

bumped

Thanks for the update on the new software. It sounds great. Although, I think I will wait till they make the update available through the website.

Just recently upgraded

Just recently upgraded

The best thing about the new firmware upgrade is the advantage of having all U.S. courses in the device at all times. It will automatically select courses near your physical location. You can keep score on the unit and it will sync with iGolf.com and compute your handicap (I don't believe it is 100% accurate but it is a nice feature).

On any course you have downloaded to your device you will get an accurate map and the ability to plan two shots ahead...just like the Callaway uPro. My cousin lives in Encinitas, CA and I was able to drop off the unit at iGolf on my way back to Phoenix. They had the unit for a week. I used it yesterday for the first time and it was great. I am not worried about voiding the warranty as iGolf and Bushnell are partners even though my unit is 45 days old. I am sure we are guinea pigs for a new mass produced upgraded unit.

The only thing I don't like is that before I can put my score into the unit it may advance to the next hole. This is especially true of you drive to the next tee before entering your score. The sync program is no longer needed and you can use the Internet to update your device from anywhere at any time! You don't need to be attached to one physical machine any longer. This is nice when you are on vacation and would like to play an unplanned course but want to use your XGC. Just be sure to bring your USB cord!

I am happy with the upgrade and it only cost me $8 since I dropped it off in person.

It sounds good. My unit is due back sometime this week I hope. Looking forward to seeing the new features.

Has anyone else done this upgrade? How are the upgraded units performing?

I just sent mine in last week, since I was not golfing this past weekend. I got it back today (monday).

It looks nice.

I tested out the nearby courses that I have never downloaded and it pulled up the default front/middle/back display. All the yardages were 999 but I wanted to see the "free" view.

I had some issues syncing but I was using a Mac with Firefox. I had to switch to Safari and everything worked great.

I then re-downloaded all my previous purchases and it was super-easy, just through the browser - no application on your PC! The map files are more detailed.

Granted this is all from my couch, but I hope to put it through its paces this weekend.

I just sent my XGC unit in with my $8 --- sent it out on a Monday from ATL to San Diego --- got it back on Thursday ! ( of the same week ) VERY fast turnaround. I tried it out this past weekend on 2 rounds ... VERY nice upgrade... ALL courses now loaded with front/middle/back yardages and I downloaded the maps to my "home" course - they were perfect and very accurate. I see the XGC plus now sells for around $299. Buy an XGC on ebay and spend $8 for the firmware update !!

Back