Callaway Fusion, FT, X-20 or AP1's?

blue_ridge

Reaction score
Handicap
I am a high handicapper (18) and have been playing a set of AP1's the past few months and have generally liked them, but noticed I often mis-hit toward the toe. I tried standing closer to the ball, but that led to feeling cramped sometimes and more inconsistency. Despite buying these AP-1's as STD length/lie, I measured them and they come up 1/2" short! Pretty sure this is contributing to my toe hits.

On a whim I bought a Callaway X-20 demo 6 iron (STD length). I hit it much better and consistent in comparison. It has a regular flex graphite shaft. So now I'm contemplating a new/used set of irons. Since I like the X-20, I am considering those. The AP-1's were good too, they just didn't fit me properly, so I may consider them again. Since I like the X-20 I thought maybe I should consider X-22's, Fusions and FT's.

So, should I play it safe and look strictly for a set of X-20's with regular flex graphite shafts? Not super excited about getting graphite shafts in my irons, but I know some people love them. I hear great things about the Fusion and FT's, so I am interested in those, but there are no demo's available near me. Also, should I stay away from the Callaway Uniflex steel shafts? What about the Nippon's? My driver swing speed is 95, but my tempo is not real fast so I end up liking regular or slightly stiffer flexes.

It is really less about the clubs and more about how they fit you.
Can you get a fitting, there is a chance you dont need new clubs, but rather some changes made to yours

I got fit 5 years ago or so and I remember I was right on the borderline between std length and +1/2". And I believe they recommended 1-2 deg upright and reg flex shaft. Also, if my irons are too short, I thought it would cost as much to re-shaft them than to buy another used set. I also like the alignment lines on the Callaways. After hitting the demo club some, I feel a little more confident lining up the club down the target line, then stepping into my stance and firing.

All that said, you think I should get another fitting first? I thought I might buy a used set, play them a month or two, then get fit with them to see if I should bend them upright or not. Thanks for the advice.

I got fit 5 years ago or so and I remember I was right on the borderline between std length and +1/2". And I believe they recommended 1-2 deg upright and reg flex shaft. Also, if my irons are too short, I thought it would cost as much to re-shaft them than to buy another used set. I also like the alignment lines on the Callaways. After hitting the demo club some, I feel a little more confident lining up the club down the target line, then stepping into my stance and firing.

All that said, you think I should get another fitting first? I thought I might buy a used set, play them a month or two, then get fit with them to see if I should bend them upright or not. Thanks for the advice.

Fit before purchase EVERY time.

Also, if my irons are too short, I thought it would cost as much to re-shaft them than to buy another used set.

Cost is roughly $8 per shaft (IIRC) for DG plus installation. I would plan on $15 per club to get re-shafted.

I also like the alignment lines on the Callaways. After hitting the demo club some, I feel a little more confident lining up the club down the target line, then stepping into my stance and firing.

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind.

Fit before purchase EVERY time.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I have never been fitted before. If they just have to change the lie what does that usually run?

Cost is roughly $8 per shaft (IIRC) for DG plus installation. I would plan on $15 per club to get re-shafted.

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Good point. Maybe I have made up my mind. I guess I have a gut feeling that re-shafting my existing clubs will not be better than the demo club I have now.

I feel a set of X-20's or X-22's might be a better starting point for me. Then I started looking at the Fusion and FT's and they seem to have the same head style as the X-20 with similar type of perimeter weighting. But they also have and insert and a titanium face. Reading reviews, many people remark about the improved feel they get from the insert.

I know the prudent thing to do is to take it slow and get fit, while looking for some FT's or Fusions to demo. But I have a 17 month old daughter at home, my wife is due with our 2nd in three months and I have a set of irons that are too short. I don't have a lot of spare time or money. If I get fit first, I'll have to deal with all that sales pressure they put on you to buy a new set of clubs. If I reshaft the AP1's, it will cost money and I probably can't sell the old shafts. If I sell the whole set, at least I'm making some money for the shafts as well. And I can start over and get fit with a set I may have more confidence in. Am I off my rocker?

I know the prudent thing to do is to take it slow and get fit, while looking for some FT's or Fusions to demo. But I have a 17 month old daughter at home, my wife is due with our 2nd in three months and I have a set of irons that are too short. I don't have a lot of spare time or money.

This is the reason to get fit and see if it is a cheaper option.
Dont take this the wrong way, but it appears you are looking for validation rather than answers to questions.
And if that is the case, I would say have at it. If you feel as though a new set of clubs off the rack are going to be better for you than getting your current set fit for your swing, I say do it.

You can have the current shaft in your AP1's lengthened. Anyone who knows what they're doing can cut the grip off, put a shaft extension it there and then regrip it. It doesn't cost much and might be worth trying out before moving on to something else.

Okay, advice duly noted. You guys obviously know a lot more and have vast experience with golf club issues. I will speak with the local shop and see what they can do for me on these irons/shafts and what a fitting session would cost. I'll just tell them up front I am not looking for a new set of clubs, just proper fitting. Who knows, maybe extending the shafts will do the trick. Thanks JB and TC.

Okay, advice duly noted. You guys obviously know a lot more and have vast experience with golf club issues. I will speak with the local shop and see what they can do for me on these irons/shafts and what a fitting session would cost. I'll just tell them up front I am not looking for a new set of clubs, just proper fitting. Who knows, maybe extending the shafts will do the trick. Thanks JB and TC.

That plan sounds perfect. GL with the fitting and make sure to point out that you're not there to buy new clubs, just make sure the ones you have are fit to you. And get a copy of any specs they take down (loft, lie, length, measurements, etc.) in case you want to try a new set in the future.

And congrats on the upcoming new addition to your family! I have a 9 1/2 month old at home and he's everything I can handle at this point! lol

Back