Golf Membership, how much do you pay?

cocopoppyhead

Reaction score
Handicap
  • How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership?
  • and do you have to pay a joining fee?
  • would your course be considered very good or average at best?
  • are you close to a city or large urban location?
  • are there any unique extra features such as driving ranges, or health spa's?

im trying to compare prices around the world as i imagine they vary greatly,
also in Ireland most golf courses outprice the population, so this limits the ability of a nation to produce great players.

im trying to compare prices around the world as i imagine they vary greatly,
also in Ireland most golf courses outprice the population, so this limits the ability of a nation to produce great players.

My local country club is quite a deal. We get to play for 89 bucks a month for green fee's. This entitles us to 10 percent discounts on all merchandise, bring a friend for 25 bucks Fridays, 17 dollars for all day cart use and a number of member only benefits such as half off range balls. It also provides us with country club use, a swimming pool pass and a few matches at a local tennis club. Our course has two sides one opened in 1949 and the other in the early 90's so their is definately a contrast. the back side is open and with sloped greens and tight fairways. The front side is tree lined with trouble everywhere with a few sloped greens. Our course's signature is small greens that are really fast. It's an average course that is quickly becoming above average with our new green's keeper. The course rating is 69.1 with a slope rating of 125.

My local country club is quite a deal. We get to play for 89 bucks a month for green fee's. This entitles us to 10 percent discounts on all merchandise, bring a friend for 25 bucks Fridays, 17 dollars for all day cart use and a number of member only benefits such as half off range balls. It also provides us with country club use, a swimming pool pass and a few matches at a local tennis club. Our course has two sides one opened in 1949 and the other in the early 90's so their is definately a contrast. the back side is open and with sloped greens and tight fairways. The front side is tree lined with trouble everywhere with a few sloped greens. Our course's signature is small greens that are really fast. It's an average course that is quickly becoming above average with our new green's keeper. The course rating is 69.1 with a slope rating of 125.

That's a great deal!

How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership?
$350/mth for my son and me. Includes unlimited greens fees, gym membership, no monthly minimum, and see below.

Do you have to pay a joining fee?
Yes. Forget what it was but we got it for 50% off the regular fee.

Would your course be considered very good or average at best?

Somewhere between good and very good (not to mention difficult!)

Are you close to a city or large urban location?

Yes.

Are there any unique extra features such as driving ranges, or health spa's?
Yes. We have a two floor gym, a very large driving range, a bunker complex, two huge practice greens, a pitching complex (up to 100 yards), a chipping area, and a nine-hole short course where the average hole is about 75 yards long. This is all included in the monthly membership fee. There is also a very fine restaurant and a learning center with all the latest technology and five PGA pros.

QUOTE]

1. I pay $750/yr and $1.50/each 9 holes (this is a military base course and I am a civilian that works on the base so I get the upper grade military rate). With membership carts are $7 per 9 holes, range balls reduced, GHIN is free, and 10% discount in well stocked and reasonable pro shop.

2. No initiation fee.

3. The course is very good - it is a Robert Trent Jones design on the original 18 and has another newer 9. All are in excellent condition - the Hooters Tour just held an event at this course in September and these pro players were complimentary.

4. I am near Augusta, GA, a city with a metropolitan area population likely in the 400,000 range.

5. It is pretty much only a golf facility, but does have a driving range and more practice areas are on the drawing board. However, as a member here I have reciprocal playing privileges at most military golf courses in the USA. It also has a snack bar with good lunch fare.

How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership?
It depends upon the course, but most of the public/muni courses around here get $1000-$1,200 a year.
and do you have to pay a joining fee?
Nope.
would your course be considered very good or average at best?
Average.
are you close to a city or large urban location?
I wouldnt exactly call it a, "large" urban location. Madison is a relatively small city, only about 200,000 people.
are there any unique extra features such as driving ranges, or health spa's?
Driving ranges, putting greens, pro shops. No health spas though. It would be nice if they had a health spa though, after some rounds I could use a nice, relaxing massage.

I'm not a member of a place as of now.Thinking of one place though.Their fee is 2800 a year.Breaks down to 233 a month. Unlimited play/cart and range balls.

Normally I just hate being tied down to one place.

Last edited:
I pay £1750 per year ($3000)

Joining fee of twice that amount.

3 championship courses. Never closes unless it snows. Built on heath land so a sandy sub soil drains fantastically.

Best golf club in the county by a long way. Regularly hold Europro tour events, home internationals, Mid Am Opens etc.

About 6 miles from Oxford.

No other facilities such as spa/gym, just golf. Club is 101 years old.

$299 a month, $1000 a year cart fee or $20 cart fee each round if you don't golf much, initiation fee of $5000 or so for single, no F&Bs, 20% off pro shop, 10% off food/beverage, 27 holes, driving range, putting green, bunker area. No other facilities besides the clubhouse which has a bar and does host weddings, parties, etc. I would say it is about average for the area in regards to course, etc. The course isn't too difficult as far as ratings/slope goes, the highest rating from the tips is 145/73.3 at 7159 yds.

its difficult to guage here, the joining fee's are the worst, they put us off straight away.. 2000-20,000€ for joining fees, but memberships are not as bad. they seem to range from €1500 - 5000...

im in the market for a new club, keeping my eyes peeled for 2010,
i really need to get a handicap again.. last one was 10, and thats 10years ago. :/

the memberships btw tend to get us 1 golf course, practice area, putting green and access to the bars and pro shop.. sometimes there is a 10% discount in the pro shop, and a couple of hundred in the bar.. competitions can be from €5-€10 on average..

I just started playing again this year after a long layoff and being new to this area I joined a course that some friends were members of. This course is about 25 miles away, a very tiny community, but rather nice course. The membership is very low at $350 per year with no extras beyond that other than e-mail updates of outings, tournaments, etc.

I play fairly often at a local club and hope to join this coming spring. It's a nice course, I think the membership is around $700, not sure what the joining fee is. Course's around here are very reasonable to the most part, although there are a few very high end courses that I just don't see that much difference in the quality of play.

My local course is $350 a year to join and it has a driving range and putting green, other than that its $1 for 18 not including cart. For another $350 you can store your cart.

• How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership? - £480 a year
  • and do you have to pay a joining fee? - no fee
  • would your course be considered very good or average at best? - a little gem, but average on teh scale of things
  • are you close to a city or large urban location? - 20 min drive from city centre
  • are there any unique extra features such as driving ranges, or health spa's? - nope.

How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership? - $1,000 year family.
and do you have to pay a joining fee? - none
would your course be considered very good or average at best? - good family country club, easy to walk.
are you close to a city or large urban location? - about 20 min from two large cities in the state.
are there any unique extra features such as driving ranges, or health spa's? - swimming pool.

www.ashlandgolfclub.com

480.00 a year the course isn't much but the price is right I can't see paying the ridiculous prices for other courses around my area or anywhere else right now with the way the economy is.

How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership? - Not a member anywhere since I moved to AZ.

In my past city, I paid $2400 annnually, no joining fee, It had a pool, exercise room, card room, grill, and could cater events.

The course was average for the area where I lived.

Tucson just has too many great courses for me to saddle myself with only one. Also, the fees for private membership here start at double what I paid before.

One of the distinctions that I think needs to be made here is whether or not a "membership" is to a private course/country club or it is an annual pass that has some golf and a few other amenities.

How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership? - $1,000 year family.
would your course be considered very good or average at best? - good family country club, easy to walk.
are you close to a city or large urban location? - about 20 min from two large cities in the state.
are there any unique extra features such as driving ranges, or health spa's? - swimming pool.

www.ashlandgolfclub.com

Hey crazygolfnut. I've got a couple questions about Ashland Country Club.

Does it have a driving range/practice facilities? If so are unlimited range balls included in the membership?

How crowded is the course during the year? Do you typically play as a single? Or get paired with other members?

And any other helpful information that you think would be good for a potential new member...

800 for a single and 1k for a family is a great price for a semi-private facility.

Thanks,
cwill

Hey crazygolfnut. I've got a couple questions about Ashland Country Club.

Does it have a driving range/practice facilities? If so are unlimited range balls included in the membership?

How crowded is the course during the year? Do you typically play as a single? Or get paired with other members?

And any other helpful information that you think would be good for a potential new member...

800 for a single and 1k for a family is a great price for a semi-private facility.

Thanks,
cwill

- 18 holes but no driving range. Swimming pool.
- Normal round of golf on a busy summer weekend is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Wife and I can play during the week, after work, in about 2 1/2 hours. (she needs to ride)
- Thursday night is mens night with diff games and we usually play 18 in about 3 hours.
- Lots of couples. No restrictions. (except if you play on sat or sun morning, you need to keep moving :smile:)
- Easy to find other people to play with. Pro shop is good about helping.
- Fairly flat which makes it easy to walk.
- Not a fancy place but it has trees and bushes to get in the way.

Last edited:
how much I pay.

how much I pay.

How much do you pay annually for Golf Membership? - $1,050 year family.
would your course be considered very good or average at best? - good family country club, the course has a great design, it isn't always kept the best and the greens are sometimes rough.
are you close to a city or large urban location? - Paducah KY about 30 min.
are there any unique extra features such as driving ranges, or health spa's? - swimming pool. - driving range and swimming pool, raquetball and tennis

I leave my cart in a shed there. It is great b/c my family enjoys it. they let us take our kids out who are 5 or below. It is not too busy either.

We're signing on the dotted line tomorrow for next year at a new to us semi-private club. It's going to be about 40% less expensive than the semi-private club we belonged to the last two years. The golf course is not as nice: shorter, less elevation changes, inferior range. The greens, however, are much better. We are moving there with Jr. Lancer in mind. She can walk to get in tournament shape, our last club was carts only, and the club is very junior friendly. They run a summer long group lesson junior program, and there are serious young golfers that spend the day playing and practicing. We're hoping she makes some golf friends. The big plus is her coach works out of this club.

Wife and I: $1,700 for unlimited golf, no carts included.
Wife and I range membership: $200 for both of us.
Jr. Lancer: $475 for unlimited golf and range.

Carts are $28 for two, and we can pay by the month if we want. We may do that mid-summer when it's hot. Another nice thin about this club is it's friendly to lady golfers. Mrs. Esox is talking about group lessons and playing in a league. They also have all kinds of events for men.

Kevin

Club I just resigned from was semi private, cost $225 per month, initiation fee was $2500, now $1500, thanks to economy. Tough course, a US Open Qualifier. Rounds cost me as a social member, between $48 and $63, with cart, depending on the season. Club has 2 dining areas, indoor and outdoor pool, driving range, putting green, sand area, and a teaching pro. Also, 6 tennis courts, gym, and outdoor snack bar.

I play at a local junior college. They charge by the quarter. Some quarters are $180 and some are $150. Hard to beat those prices.

Since I decided to do another Degree self study, I managed to get Student rates for the next few years.

Aberdeen Council Course membership £158 / annum

This includes:

Hazelhead Championship Course (18)

Hazelhead 2 (18)

Hazelhead 9 Holer (9)

Balnagask (18)

Kings Links Aberdeen (18)

Kings Old Links (6)

All facilities have pitch and putt as well.

In order to maintain a hanicap however you must also join the hazelhead golf club - that £158 just gives you unlimited play time on the courses so thats another £130

All in all though, 5 courses in Aberdeen costs £290 / year or just a smidge under $450.

With prices like that its easy to see why Golf aint seen as a rich mans game over in Scotland.

Even the courses such as Trumps, Gleneagles, Aberdeen Royal etc are only about £120 a round so when you are paying so little on a "local" membership for a year you can easily justify these day trips to some of the worlds best courses
:clapp:

Back