YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
Let me lay this out there 1st. Yes I know that a new driver won't fix swing flaws. I realize that a new shaft also won't fix a swing flaw. I'm not trying to fix a swing flaw, what I am looking to do is tighten it up a little with better feel. I have identified that with my personal swing what feels best to me and what gives me a flight trajectory I like is a mid kick X-Stiff flex driver playing at about 44.25". I don't currently have this setup, but have demoed several drivers in different flexes and lengths and this gives me the best combination of feel and consistency.

So now here is my quandary, I have narrowed my options down to 2 a new shaft for my Cobra Amp Cell, or buying a Taylormade SLDR setup with the X-Flex shaft. I like the impact of my cobra at impact when I get my timing right, but the shaft feels too whippy and hard to time for my swing. It's a stiff flex and I understand the stock shaft plays a bit soft. Shaft wise for the Cobra I am contemplating a Diamana Blue Board. The SLDR drivers I have tried feel a little more solid at impact, less springy, but more solid. I have a SLDR mini and love it with the Speeder 57 shaft in it.

Any thoughts or experience on these options would be much appreciated!

If you like your driver head, why change it? Just get a new shaft.

I don't think you could have picked two more different heads than the Amp Cell and the SLDR. They are basically the polar opposites of each other.

Id stick with the Amp Cell and try some shafts out. Shafts with Cobra adapters can quite often be found for cheap.

Absolutely loved the Amp Cell driver, but the truth is it was a higher spinning head, and the stock shaft did play a bit soft to flex.

You are going to lose a TON of ball speed retention on mishits when moving from the Amp Cell. If I were you, I would look at getting a Bio Cell or Bio Cell +. I think the Bio Cell or Bio Cell+ with the Red Tie shaft would be a great combo for you.

Absolutely loved the Amp Cell driver, but the truth is it was a higher spinning head, and the stock shaft did play a bit soft to flex.

You are going to lose a TON of ball speed retention on mishits when moving from the Amp Cell. If I were you, I would look at getting a Bio Cell or Bio Cell +. I think the Bio Cell or Bio Cell+ with the Red Tie shaft would be a great combo for you.
The Bio Cell+ is 2nd on my list. I actually like a smaller headed driver.

I'm using a regular bio cell with an X-Flex Red Tie and I love it. By far the best feeling combo I've used. I went to the Red Tie for more control and consistency, not really focusing on ball flight, and it's done exactly that. I now have more control over my driving game than ever.

Driver Quandary

Let me add to the mix that having played with Yeti a couple of times he has a smooth rhythmic swing and he also hits the SLDR mini quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a stiff flex Aldila NV ProtoPype Shaft with the tip on it if you are interested.

It played more like a X stiff IMO. Many people say it feels like rebar... But I loved that shaft/head combo.

If you are looking for Cobra shafts with the tips already installed, check with Global Golf. They are on e-bay, too. I have bought 4 shafts from them in the last 2 weeks.

On e-bay they have free shipping. Most shafts are $15- $39, or best offer. The ones I received were brand new shaft, factory tip, installed, and the new factory grip.

That's just my experience,

Jack

I was looking for more boardy feel and ended up going with the grafalloy blue/white 75x. I love this shaft. Like it more then my speeder 7.3vc x and my tour green. Take a swing on one if you get the chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

going with changing the cobra shaft is the more economical option, so do that first.

If you are looking for Cobra shafts with the tips already installed, check with Global Golf. They are on e-bay, too. I have bought 4 shafts from them in the last 2 weeks.

On e-bay they have free shipping. Most shafts are $15- $39, or best offer. The ones I received were brand new shaft, factory tip, installed, and the new factory grip.

That's just my experience,

Jack

Looking to grab a stiffer shaft for a friends bio cell, any idea what the tip is call that fits the bio cell?

Looking to grab a stiffer shaft for a friends bio cell, any idea what the tip is call that fits the bio cell?

On their site, after you select the flex, type, etc. It has a category of what type of club tip. The cobra has AFT, My fly, and My fly 8.

Someone here should be able to clarify the tip.

Check their e-bay too, but here is their shaft page:

http://www.globalgolf.com/golf-accessories/shafts/

They tend to specify the tip by the club it fits for the Cobra woods.

OP - I love my SLDR and I'm a big fan of mine but I don't like their stock shafts. You could end up searching for the right shaft for the SLDR and be right back where you are today. I think your better option it to find the correct shaft for your Amp Cell.

You really have to test out the shafts with the head. I love my cobra Fly-Z but never liked the stock shaft. During my iron fitting the fitter had some time and he allowed me to try out all the shafts he had with the my fly tip. We settled on the UST Mamiya Proforce v5 7F4. I never would have even looked at this shaft as I know nothing about UST. I was stuck on what I knew, which isn't much honestly.

Ping G30 12 deg (sft) tour reg is a no brainer ! Then is all about approach ? Best thing you can use this driver (220/240) off the deck for a long second with a bit of fade ? Knob it and its still gone 175+ along the deck

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back