The Movie Review Thread

I watched a movie called "The Last Winter" (2006) last night.

If anyone has seen it and understood it, care to give me a heads-up?

Oh we may have a winner here . . .

Oh we may have a winner here . . .

I caught this about 30 minutes in, but what Shaun of the Dead was to English zombie films, this movie is to New Zealand zombie films.

black-sheep.jpg

http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/06/22/movies/22shee.html :
Black Sheep (2006)
June 22, 2007
Oh, Dolly! When Sheep Go Bad, Forget the Peace in the Valley
By A. O. SCOTT
Published: June 22, 2007

“It’s an exciting time to be involved in agricultural science.” The achievement of “Black Sheep,” a pastoral horror-comedy from New Zealand, can be measured in its ability to make that sentence sound both sinister and hilarious. The movie is essentially a silly, grisly elaboration of a simple idea: What if sheep started running amok, feasting on human flesh and turning their victims into huge ovine zombies?

To a New Zealander like Jonathan King, who wrote and directed “Black Sheep,” the notion must be especially horrifying, since the people of that country are vastly outnumbered by kebabs on the hoof. Turning a notoriously docile, none-too-intelligent species into a source of menace is an impressive, if improbable, feat of filmmaking.

Mr. King accomplishes it through the use of gory effects — the exuberant grotesquerie owes a clear debt to the early work of Peter Jackson — and through less elaborate means. A single sheep, eerily lighted and accompanied by a jolt of the right music, can be monstrous. A herd thundering over an open hillside is downright apocalyptic.

The monster sheep are the result of genetic engineering gone awry. An ambitious farmer, Angus Oldfield (Peter Feeney), has been working on a super-species, but his plans are disrupted by his estranged brother, Henry (Nathan Meister), and a pair of hapless animal-rights activists (Danielle Mason and Oliver Driver). Because of a childhood trauma Henry suffers from a paralyzing sheep phobia, which the movie does everything in its power to vindicate.

Once you have seen a sheep munching on a bloody human leg, you may think twice about your next leg of lamb. On the other hand maybe you’ll be inspired to seek vengeance. To provoke one of these responses — vegetarianism or a defiant meat eating — may be the point of this odd, amusing film.
blacksheepdm-468x290jpg.jpg

"Next time I see that Bleeker kid I'm going to punch him in the wiener."

:D

Where is that from Harry, that sounds so familiar.

Juno.

I finally got around to seeing it last night, and that line has been stuck in my head all day.

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - meh. Aside from the uninspired story, Indy had trouble getting in and out of chairs. It was painful to watch Harrison Ford try to move.

Horrible, wretched movie. One of the worst I have ever had the displeasure in watching.

Hancock- no big deal if i missed that one. unfortunately, i didn't.

man, $7 to rent that?

I liked Hancock, much better than anticipated.

Eagle Eye was a great movie as well,

Didn't care for Eagle Eye either, was predictable & way too far fetched.

Death Race is a cool movie, great storyline. Also liked Cloverfield, I think perhaps there are only a handful of us in the USA who did like it.

Man I LOVED Deathrace!! I love Franks mask. The storyline was so different. It was kind of like the movie "The Road Warrior" Nice and Gory, nothing like a good jail movie. Probably my favorite movie this year.

I actually liked Cloverfield too(almost embarassed to admit that). Has anyone seen Taken? Looks interesting to me and I like Liam.

Got "Righteous Kill" and "Max Payne" at BB the other day.
RK was allright but Denero"s performance seems like I saw it before in another one of his movies.Pacino was good and it has a twist that isn't totally preditable.Lot of star power.
MP was kinda Peckinpa'ish in it's display of bullet hits but for the most part was ok if you're not looking for substance but gratuitous violence.

I watched Taken tonight...

Liam Neeson was a completely different character than I've ever seen him before. If you like a wall-to-wall buttwhoopin' this is the film for you. Completely awesome!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0936501/

Got "Righteous Kill" and "Max Payne" at BB the other day.
RK was allright but Denero"s performance seems like I saw it before in another one of his movies.Pacino was good and it has a twist that isn't totally preditable.Lot of star power.
MP was kinda Peckinpa'ish in it's display of bullet hits but for the most part was ok if you're not looking for substance but gratuitous violence.

Watched both of those a couple weeks ago, didn't really care for either one. Max Payne was just plain weird with a script that had too many holes in it.

Watched Milk last night, to wrap up the Oscar list. I thought it was great and was personally inspired, although the exposition was way too rushed and they didn't explain at all how he ran his business and paid for everything while being so involved.

Im pulling for Mickey in the Oscars.

I didn't see the Wrestler, actually...we watch the ones nominated for Best Picture each year. Though it would be very, very cool to see Mickey take it. But Sean Penn was awesome too, and he did get the SAG (it's the same people voting).

heading out to see slumdog today

Just saw Tropic Thunder. A few laughs but more hype than anything else. Tom Cruise stole the show as far as I'm concerned.:laugh:

I watched the last hour of Grand Champion

Spoiler
It's about a little boy who raises a steer to show, and wins Grand Champion. He sells the steer (as is customary), and then steals him back when he hears that the steer is to become BBQ, and has a terrific adventure getting home.

It's a cute film, good clean fun for the whole family. You get to see some parts of west Texas that normally don't get shown in movies.

The characters are likeable, and has a pretty respectable cast: Joey Lauren Adams, George Strait*, Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, Charlie Robison*, Natalie Maines*, Emma Roberts, Jody Nix*, Robert Earl Keen* (*A Texas music star clearing house!)

Music by Brian Burns, Willie Nelson and more

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335126/

I saw Taken yesterday, I personally thought it was an amazing movie.

I saw Taken yesterday, I personally thought it was an amazing movie.

I have to get around to seeing that... I hate the theatres. I love the screen size and the surround sound and what not but I hate the people there, the overpriced ticket, and 7 dollar sodas haha

It's worth the price of admission, DD. A great story, very fast paced.

I saw shopaholic...

oh man, I got dragged out to that one. That was a fun night!

I saw shopaholic...

oh man, I got dragged out to that one. That was a fun night!

Oh no, I feel for you man. I put my foot down to those and suggest a girls night out.

Oh no, I feel for you man. I put my foot down to those and suggest a girls night out.

that was Valentines day... just had to bite the bullet

Back