hawklet06

Reaction score
Handicap
too high
I had an interesting discovery today! I was practicing putting, and took a left handed grip, but still putted righty. Surprisingly I was putting better that way. Anyone know why? And, will I be hurting myself in the long run by using this new grip?

That's left hand low. You see a lot of pros doing it.

I believe it removes the wrists from the equation... makes you use your arms/shoulders instead of trying to help steer the ball with the wrists.

I had been fooling around with the left hand low for a while and just started using it full time recently. My putting overall is about the same, but I am much better on longer putts using this grip.

I believe it removes the wrists from the equation... makes you use your arms/shoulders instead of trying to help steer the ball with the wrists.

That was always my problem with the longer putts. My right hand wanted to turn over and I would hit everything way to the left at times with no distance control. Now I am on line with the proper speed.

Its a take on cross handed and many players do it. A decade or two ago, a bigger percentage of guys on tour were putting like this inside of 10 feet. I believe Paddy still putts like this. (going off of memory)

Goydos uses left hand low. Shot 59 today!

Cant argue with that Smalls.

I use the left hand low style when I start a round. When my left hand starts to tingle, I switch to the symple putting method, because it takes the left hand out of the equation. This is do to a neck injury. The symple putting method works, but I don't like the way it looks. It does

I use left hand low on most putts - I go to conventional for longish putts (over about 35 feet) and for putts from the fringe, because I think I have a better feel for distance control. The left hand low seems far more consistent for squaring the clubface and putting the putt on line. I believe Jim Furyk is another top pro that goes left hand low.

Back