WGC Bridgestone Invitational [Spoilers]

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Well we have the top players in the world coming to play in this one again. Tiger Woods is back. Here is the thread to discuss all things related to the tournament.

So since Tiger is back, what would constitute a successful tourney for him since there's no cut? Top 20 finish? even par?

• Admin
JB finally said it without the alien face!!!!!!

I have said it many times without the emoticon. Heck I have been pie faced numerous times already by Eldrick for predicting his triumphant return only to see not quite that.

So since Tiger is back, what would constitute a successful tourney for him since there's no cut? Top 20 finish? even par?

Top 20 is a must. Top 10 to be successful.

Top 5. Which I think he will do quite handily.

Deja Vu?

I think a top 10 would be considered successful if he is in fact back to 100% which I hope for the game of golf that he is.

Westwood wins. With stockton and rotella in his corner he's gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

• Admin
Westwood wins. With stockton and rotella in his corner he's gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

I think Westy plays well here. However Stockton has not done a ton for Phil's putting as of late...hehe

I look forward to watching this, it's always one of my favorite events to watch. Great field, great venue, should be fun.

TW needs a top 10 in order to call it a successful week, although he likely won't consider it a success unless he wins, which we know just ain't happening.

Fowler gets his first win this weekend

I hope that Tiger challenges, as far as I am concerned he has been missed whilst injured.

Looking forward to the coverage

I don't expect Woods to win, or really be in contention. I think a successful tournament = pain-free week which gives him 100% confidence in his knee/achilles + a good ball-striking week.

But he won't be measured that way. Mickelson played like crap last week and finished T83 or something like that. If Woods duplicates what Phil did last week (avg 5+ bogeys and 2 putts per green per round) he'll be barbecued.

My prediction: Tiger either finishes top 10 or barely makes the cut. If the first few holes give him trouble I think he might be in trouble. He reminds me a bit of Steve Marino, as soon as things start to go south there is no way to bring them back.

But he won't be measured that way. Mickelson played like crap last week and finished T83 or something like that. If Woods duplicates what Phil did last week (avg 5+ bogeys and 2 putts per green per round) he'll be barbecued.

There not the same player. You cant take the good without the bad in sports for athletes. If you are labeled arguably the best ever, you got that label for a reason. Fans say he makes golf more interesting. He makes golf more exciting. When he's in the field, its the reason to watch. Those are things exclusively to him in this era. And with those labels comes the pressure of having to perform to live up to that label.

My prediction: Tiger either finishes top 10 or barely makes the cut. If the first few holes give him trouble I think he might be in trouble. He reminds me a bit of Steve Marino, as soon as things start to go south there is no way to bring them back.

As someone else had to tell me in another thread - no cut this week so he will be on TV all day Saturday and Sunday. :D

Fowler gets his first win this weekend

I wish I could agree with you but I dont. This course is def. not one that would fit his eye. He is playing well but its just not a course I see him playing well on. Mainly when Rickie gets in trouble, it usually leads to bogeys. I see lots of bogeys and few birdies this weekend.

As someone else had to tell me in another thread - no cut this week so he will be on TV all day Saturday and Sunday. :D

I should have said finishes toward the bottom, I was just trying to make the point that he will either do well or struggle. Poor wording on my part, sorry.

I know there isn't a cut, I should have said finishes toward the bottom, I was just trying to make the point that he will either do well or struggle. Poor wording on my part, sorry.

Better than me then since I did not even remember the no cut rule for this event. I want him to do well because it is good for the game but I can easily see him struggling towards the bottom of the pack. Seems like there is not much middle ground with him; either in contention or at the bottom.

Better than me then since I did not even remember the no cut rule for this event. I want him to do well because it is good for the game but I can no easily see him struggling towards the bottom of the pack. Seems like there is not much middle ground with him; either in contention or at the bottom.

Agreed. That is what I was trying to say, but clearly didn't do a good job of it haha. I skipped coffee this morning.

With no cut it's great for Tiger coming back because he will get four rounds of completive golf no matter how he plays. I'm saying a top 10 finish or I don't think he would be coming back if his game wasn't ready.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

With no cut it's great for Tiger coming back because he will get four rounds of completive golf no matter how he plays. I'm saying a top 10 finish or I don't think he would be coming back if his game wasn't ready.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Im leaning more towards your thoughts here.

I think a guy like Webb Simpson plays well this weekend. He's been around the leaderboard a lot lately. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like him win.

Is there anyone playing in this besides Eldrick? This makes 23 posts in the thread and he is mentioned or referred to in 18 of them!

I think a guy like Webb Simpson plays well this weekend. He's been around the leaderboard a lot lately. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like him win.
You also picked Jaime Lovemark as your preseason darkhorse pick. Remember that? So when do I get to take over control of that avy? I have a few good ideas now actually! :D

Is there anyone playing in this besides Eldrick? This makes 23 posts in the thread and he is mentioned or referred to in 18 of them!

Nope....well unless you want to include the 3 major winners for this year. :D

Back