Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Just another technological fad. Real readers are too attached to reading real books.

or

Print is dead, and the makers of bookcases are in for hard times.

Kevin

I love the Kindle. But I think that until they build in regular internet surfing, it is going to be a challenge. The people that I know that have them, absolutely rave about them. One of my best friends is a Delta pilot and goes through about 2 books a week. Since the Kindle came out, he raves about how much easier it is.

I like what they did with blogs this year though and were thrilled to know that they selected THP as a website available for people to get on their kindle.

I have 3 friends who have gone to using Kindles and love them. Interestingly, they all have back or shoulder problems so they find them easier to hold.

My son has one and reads constantly. Liz and I read a bunch and he's trying to get us to buy one. About half of our reading comes from the second hand book store, lol.

To be honest, I hadn't heard much about it until the last several months. We're a big book family. I have trouble imagining reading a long novel on a little screen. I have a system where I read in bed that I don't think the Kindle would complement. Downloading a book is certainly a lot cheaper than buying a hardcover, but I love the feel of a hefty book in my hands. It reminds me of holding a big delicious sandwich.

I don't know much about its other applications, though I knew there was a connection with THP.

Kevin

To be honest, I hadn't heard much about it until the last several months.

You must not watch Oprah. From what I understand - she's the main reason, it's selling so well.

My eyes get messed up enough staring at a computer screen for too long. Plus I dont read enough books to justify buying one.

+1, I'm not too into reading books.

You must not watch Oprah. From what I understand - she's the main reason, it's selling so well.

You can bet I won't buy one then...

To be honest, I hadn't heard much about it until the last several months. We're a big book family. I have trouble imagining reading a long novel on a little screen. I have a system where I read in bed that I don't think the Kindle would complement. Downloading a book is certainly a lot cheaper than buying a hardcover, but I love the feel of a hefty book in my hands. It reminds me of holding a big delicious sandwich.

I don't know much about its other applications, though I knew there was a connection with THP.

Kevin

We were just one of the many blogs that were invited to be a part of the kindle blog list. We wish that they did not charge people for it though. We have no control over that at all. The other very popular one is the Nook and many like it even more than the Kindle because there seems to be more free offerings.

It was already selling like hotcakes, but she definitely added fuel. She got in a little late with this one. She has megapower in sales though.

Oprah and I have an agreement. I don't watch her show, she doesn't come over to my house and eat all my food. Everybody wins.

Kevin

I don't never read, I just don't read a lot of books. Sometimes, but not very often.

Downloading a book is certainly a lot cheaper than buying a hardcover, but I love the feel of a hefty book in my hands. It reminds me of holding a big delicious sandwich.

Agree 100%

There's nothing like the real thing.

-JP

Agree 100%

There's nothing like the real thing.

-JP

How's Under the Dome treating you? It's quite a few pounds of the real thing.

Would one of these fit in my basket in my bathroom?

How's Under the Dome treating you? It's quite a few pounds of the real thing.

Haven't got it yet, I have to wait for my birthday (but that's only ten days away, so I can wait...barely).

But I HAVE "visited" it in the bookstore and it's almost 1,100 pages long!

I can see it now... a comfy chair, a crackling fire and a couple of pounds of Stephen King.

Doesn't get much better than that!

-JP

I saw you mention in a post earlier today you were going back to a Stephen King novel. I assumed it was the newest. I'm about 400 pages in. It's pretty good. If you're a fan you'll be pleased I think.

Kevin

I don't see myself jumping on the Kindle/eReader bandwagon anytime soon. Like several others, I like to read my books in actual book form. No worries about if the newest book from one of my favorite authors is available in e-form. Plus I stare at computer screens enough every day, the last thing I need is to be staring at a smaller one for hours on end reading a book.

I saw you mention in a post earlier today you were going back to a Stephen King novel. I assumed it was the newest. I'm about 400 pages in. It's pretty good. If you're a fan you'll be pleased I think.

Kevin

Yeah, that was "Duma Key" which was a pretty good one as well.

I'm glad to hear "Under The Dome" is good so far. I've just read a few excerpts (very small) from the website and I got the gist of it (at least as much as he was willing to reveal), and I think it's going to be a good one.

-JP

I'm not a big Stephen King fan. When I read Salem's Lot years ago - I slept with a cross. Then I read It, which scared the daylights out of me. When I read his books, I felt like I was being sucked into them.

I pick up King occasionally as a bargain book or used book. Got the last one at Half Priced Books. They're generally easy reads and kind of fun, though he's had his share of stinkers. The Cell, a fairly recent offering was one of those. When I think back over his books, some of the best have been those more grounded in reality like Cujo, Misery, and Delores Claiborne.

Kevin

I read a great deal and am curious about the Kindle. I'd like to be able to actually hold one and play with it to see how it compares to a real book.

Back