America stinks at golf?

interlooper

Wishing I was golfing now
Reaction score
Handicap
Linked through Golf.com (from realclearsports.com), the writer claims that the US is no longer a force in world-wide golf and Americans cannot even win on their own PGA Tour.

Here is the stinger in the piece:

Westwood, the Englishman who's a close No. 3 in the world, took a poke, good-natured that it might have been, at the decline of American players. At the British Golf Writers dinner prior to the Open, Westwood congratulated PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem on Steve Sticker's win a few days earlier at the John Deere Classic and said, "Lovely to see an American win on your tour."

What do you guys think? Is there going to be a long-lasting decline in American dominance on the tour?

I think this is Westwood being Westwood. Its no secret how he feels. He has made it clear for years. All one needs to do is look at the top 2 players in the world and see the answer. Despite all the flaws that I believe the ranking system has, there is NO disputing that TW and Phil are the best two players on the planet. When Westwood joins the Champions Tour and only has to play 54 holes to win, he should clean up. But did anybody watch him back into his last win trying desperately to give it away at every stop (or the Masters for that matter).

Where have these people been. Have they looked at the winners so far this year? I see quite a few US players winning tournaments. DJ, Stricker, Furyk, Phil, AK to just name a few. There are quite a bit more I might add.

I would say that Phil is doing OK for the americans... but that is just me.

Edit: I am really excited to see the Ryder Cup this year. Even more so now that there is so much smack-talk.

I couldn't have said it better about Westy.... I agree with this all. I think people just make a bigger deal about things than they are. As fields expand and golfers enter, there will be different winners.
I think this is Westwood being Westwood. Its no secret how he feels. He has made it clear for years. All one needs to do is look at the top 2 players in the world and see the answer. Despite all the flaws that I believe the ranking system has, there is NO disputing that TW and Phil are the best two players on the planet. When Westwood joins the Champions Tour and only has to play 54 holes to win, he should clean up. But did anybody watch him back into his last win trying desperately to give it away at every stop (or the Masters for that matter).

Where have these people been. Have they looked at the winners so far this year? I see quite a few US players winning tournaments. DJ, Stricker, Furyk, Phil, AK to just name a few. There are quite a bit more I might add.

I think this re-awakend rivalry is good for golf. I have been hearing a lot of this sort of thing over the last few months and I think that the Ryder Cup will be more interesting because of it. We will all pull for our hometown heroes, but in the end, we are all in the brotherhood of golf.

I think this re-awakend rivalry is good for golf. I have been hearing a lot of this sort of thing over the last few months and I think that the Ryder Cup will be more interesting because of it. We will all pull for our hometown heroes, but in the end, we are all in the brotherhood of golf.

You got that right. Every two years this same debate is brought up. It is good for the Ryder Cup.

Message to Lee....it would be nice to see one of "your" players win the Open Championship a little more often as well

I think this definitely is buildup for the Ryder Cup. I went to it at Valhalla in 08. I can honestly say it was one of the best sporting events I have ever been to

I think we are definately still a force, but we are a force to be reckoned with. Every sport we play and every tournament we enter we are the ones people from other countries like to route against. You always like to see the person who always holds there head high lose. I dont care who you are. Thats why people pull for the underdog many times. I think that when comparing countries to U.S. sports, they typically fel like the nderdog. I know this isnt all cases, but in general. Such as the World Cup, we were by NO means a favorite, but I can imagine that many countries were happy to see us out of it. Why is it that the Ryder Cup is the U.S. against the world? I think that speaks for itself. I can say that in Tigers prime, NO ONE would have said that. Plus, AK i sone of our better players who is fighting an injury right now. I dare say when he returns he will continue to make the top 10. I LOVE watching the Ryder cup but this year I am VERY stoked to see it. Not because of this article but because of the comments we have heard on tv.

I think we are definately still a force, but we are a force to be reckoned with. Every sport we play and every tournament we enter we are the ones people from other countries like to route against. You always like to see the person who always holds there head high lose. I dont care who you are. Thats why people pull for the underdog many times. I think that when comparing countries to U.S. sports, they typically fel like the nderdog. I know this isnt all cases, but in general. Such as the World Cup, we were by NO means a favorite, but I can imagine that many countries were happy to see us out of it. Why is it that the Ryder Cup is the U.S. against the world? I think that speaks for itself. I can say that in Tigers prime, NO ONE would have said that. Plus, AK i sone of our better players who is fighting an injury right now. I dare say when he returns he will continue to make the top 10. I LOVE watching the Ryder cup but this year I am VERY stoked to see it. Not because of this article but because of the comments we have heard on tv.

Ummm, the Ryder Cup is not US vs the World.

Ummm, the Ryder Cup is not US vs the World.

sorry JB, Europe. How many countries does that involve? The U.S. is 1

sorry JB, Europe. How many countries does that involve? The U.S. is 1

You have to look at size and populations though.

You have to look at size and populations though.

I agree with you, and when I typed against the world I was just trying to make a point, its always the U.S. against_____________.

I agree...Tiger and Phil will be there period. Westwood may be striking them well but as you pointed out, he really didn't win that event, it was GIVEN to him. Truthfully, he hasn't been as great as he was when he won the Dubai. It's good though...this is what Tiger and the rest need; someone to piss them off right into their game focus. I will say that Phil is the most suspect right now though for America. The Ryder Cup will be interesting though...

Good thread old man LOOPER!

I will say that Phil is the most suspect right now though for America. The Ryder Cup will be interesting though...

You think so? I mean he won the Masters and despite last week has played well this year.

Americans have to win every tourney? These writers seem to be trying to stir up interest. The outcome will be more people watching and thus more golf to watch. We all win!

You think so? I mean he won the Masters and despite last week has played well this year.

I think he meant playing over the pond. Other than that Phil is solid and Tiger is as well. Tiger just looks bad right now because we are used to seeing him win instead of just contending. Even as bad as he is playing right now, the comment was made that if he had played more tourneys this year shooting what he has he would be ranked 9th in scoring average. Wish I could be playing like crap and still do that. As for the euros getting boastfull, just give it time. Westwood got lucky with his win, yes it's a win but it's not like he reached out and grabbed it! I guess he forgot about Bubba putting the pressure on Rose causing him to choke huh? I think it's been pretty spread out this year. Furyk was hot at the beginning of the year then Els. We have played 3 majors with the euros winning two. If we win the next it will be 2 and 2 so I'm a bit stumped as to where this euro dominance attitude is coming from. I just looked back at all the tourneys played this year, out of the 32 that I counted 13 have been euros. How does that translate into us sucking?

I think he meant playing over the pond. Other than that Phil is solid and Tiger is as well. Tiger just looks bad right now because we are used to seeing him win instead of just contending. Even as bad as he is playing right now, the comment was made that if he had played more tourneys this year shooting what he has he would be ranked 9th in scoring average. Wish I could be playing like crap and still do that. As for the euros getting boastfull, just give it time. Westwood got lucky with his win, yes it's a win but it's not like he reached out and grabbed it! I guess he forgot about Bubba putting the pressure on Rose causing him to choke huh? I think it's been pretty spread out this year. Furyk was hot at the beginning of the year then Els. We have played 3 majors with the euros winning two. If we win the next it will be 2 and 2 so I'm a bit stumped as to where this euro dominance attitude is coming from. I just looked back at all the tourneys played this year, out of the 32 that I counted 13 have been euros. How does that translate into us sucking?

oosthuisan's not a euro, he's south african, so the euros have won one, and let's be honest, DJ pretty much gave that one away. this ryder cup is going to be very competitive this year and i think that we'll play spoiler for sure, on euro soil.

out of the 32 that I counted 13 have been euros. How does that translate into us sucking?

That is my thought as well.

you heart lee, don't you?

I know it wasnt Lee that said it. But he has made these comments going on 4 years now. I actually like the guy. He seems nice, but he has this deal with Americans on Tour and makes these snide comments.

I mean really? The guy has never won a major. His only win here any time recently is when he backed into one after everybody else collapsed. Some will say "well he has one over there". Very true. The Euro Tour is very respectable. But there is not a golf expert out there that would compare the level of competition top to bottom between the Euro Tour and the PGA here.

i'm sure his comments also get taken out of context. but i could be wrong, he could be a pompous arse. at any rate, it's great for golf and i do agree with you, until you get it done on the biggest stage, you shouldn't uproot those who have. to me, a win in golf is a win, whether or not you backed into it or not. i really struggled with the british this year b/c i felt that louis lucked into the trophy. he got out early on friday morning and it was clear that those that got out later suffered b/c of it. but he won it, and it's in the books.

all this smack talk really is good for the ryder cup though.

I agree TC. In our time with him he seems like a nice guy. But I also think that a few times he has said some things that should have been kept to himself. I mean could you imagine the uproar if Tigger or Phil had made a comment about how the Euros just cant get it done under pressure? (strictly an example and not something I believe or said). It would be ridiculous. This goes to show that in the world of golf, some guys are relevant and some guys are borderline relevant to most fans.

I agree TC. In our time with him he seems like a nice guy. But I also think that a few times he has said some things that should have been kept to himself. I mean could you imagine the uproar if Tigger or Phil had made a comment about how the Euros just cant get it done under pressure? (strictly an example and not something I believe or said). It would be ridiculous. This goes to show that in the world of golf, some guys are relevant and some guys are borderline relevant to most fans.

i think you've hit it right on the head! if one of our big boys said it, they'd be crucified by the euro press (specifically in the UK) but when he says it, i would've never known if it weren't for THP media. i think my bro made a good point and it kind of fits in here. people love to root against the big, bad america(ns), so they get all fired up about it, but we're like "whatever, we're use to it".

i don't think it's a good idea to get the US team all fired up, a la' 2008 ryder cup, where we proved we can get emotional, rowdy and finish the job!!! i think the euros are very confident right now, and that can be a bad recipe for disaster.

I think we will see quite a bit more of it. Monty is known to be very cocky and I think that will flow over into his guys. This worries me a bit because I feel Pavin is too passive for the job and won't get the guys pumped up the way Azinger did.

Back