Bridgestone Black Wedge Range Session

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So amollerud and myself had a chance to take these over to the range this morning. Everybody at the club was drooling over the looks. Our first thoughts are pretty simple. We really liked them. Neither of us had played Bridgestone wedges before and were loving the feel that they provided. He had some trouble with the high bounce options that are available, but said the same thing that I did, "the results do not lie". We were both hitting these really well.

477208178_26zrp-L-1.jpg

477208071_xVokN-L-1.jpg

477208117_RFLjR-L-1.jpg

477207976_Q3tUr-L-1.jpg

• Admin
I have asked one of our forum members to come on here and explain the bounce with the Bridgestone wedges, so he will do so in a second.

So amollerud and myself had a chance to take these over to the range this morning. Everybody at the club was drooling over the looks. Our first thoughts are pretty simple. We really liked them. Neither of us had played Bridgestone wedges before and were loving the feel that they provided. He had some trouble with the high bounce options that are available, but said the same thing that I did, "the results do not lie". We were both hitting these really well.

Josh, thanks for the info on your first impression of the wedges. I wanted to clarify Bridgestone's thoughts on the high bounce options. You may have seen recently in Golfweek where Bob Vokey talked about bounce being the amateur golfer's friend, and that high bounce is important especially for approach shots from the fairway. Bridgestone subscribes to this belief as well, and has since the inception of the first WC Design wedges 2 years ago. But Bridgestone also knows that not every wedge shot is played as a fairway approach, so to allow for less bounce when needed, Bridgestone has designed its WC Wedges with Variable Bounce Technology. This means that when around the greens, players have the option of hooding or opening up the club face to use less bounce by hitting the shot using more of the heel or toe. The VBT technology in Bridgestone wedges is designed to be gradual, so you don't see drastic changes from one zone of the club to the other, like some of the other products on the market in which the bounce changes are more drastic. The reason for this is that Bridgestone believes their method offers more consistency and less likelihood of mis hitting the desired shot. You guys can decide for yourself if it works, but most players I talk with a really happy with the wedges around the green as well as from the fairway.

• Admin
Thank you for that information. I knew you could explain it better than me.

Those are really attractive wedges. I like the classic design, with a modern edge.

The variable bounce sole sounds similar in concept to the Eidolon offering.

What are your thoughts JB?

• Admin
It is similar GB. Not as pronounced as the Eidolons. But similar in theory and worked quite well. These are absolutely gorgeous wedges. Have not taken them to the course yet to compare spin though. The Eidolons and the Nickents are the two spinniest wedges I have tried to date. Amollerud and another teaching professional at the club say the same thing. So we will see out on the course this weekend.

Ried Lockharts as well, VBT.

• Admin
I believe they call it the "dual bounce" IIRC

Back