Ping G Driver - THP Review

I LOVE the looks of this one . PING is trying hard to get back in my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE the looks of this one . PING is trying hard to get back in my bag

Agreed. I do think the Gs look better than the G30s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. I do think the Gs look better than the G30s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think I do too. Not by much but agreed.

Absolutely loved the G30 line and I'm really interested to see how much Ping has improved on it's performance.

Interested to read your thoughts Dan. I've hit it a couple times and I just do not like the acoustics of this, like the g30 before it

Purchased G 10 degree SF Tech today in regular flex. Much better dispersion and gained 15 yards over the M2 because of it. Wasn't much difference in actual distance but the Ping did feel better to me and provide better results.

Tried the G in SF Tec and standard flavors, several times. I really wanted to like it - I'm waiting for a G 4H and a G 5-UW set to come in. My current driver is a Ping G15 and I felt it put up with my swing reasonably well, which still meant a big scatter of shots. The Gs were no longer and had more dispersion for me than the G15. Same deal with the G 30. I wound up with the GBB, which is extremely consistent for me and I feel has the adjustability to accommodate improvements in my swing going forward.

That's why they all sell - different clubs fit different swings better.

BEAST! I am thinking this will win the spot in my bag this year. It is just fun to swing, and it is DEEP!

Purchased G 10 degree SF Tech today in regular flex. Much better dispersion and gained 15 yards over the M2 because of it. Wasn't much difference in actual distance but the Ping did feel better to me and provide better results.

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the G. We have similar handicaps . Are u playing it at the standard length shaft? I custom ordered a G at 45 inches in the R shaft. Can't wait until it comes in next week.

Bought the same setup one year ago. Never been happier. You just got yourself a fairway finding machine with some real pop.
Enjoy this coming season!

Tried the G in SF Tec and standard flavors, several times. I really wanted to like it - I'm waiting for a G 4H and a G 5-UW set to come in. My current driver is a Ping G15 and I felt it put up with my swing reasonably well, which still meant a big scatter of shots. The Gs were no longer and had more dispersion for me than the G15. Same deal with the G 30. I wound up with the GBB, which is extremely consistent for me and I feel has the adjustability to accommodate improvements in my swing going forward.

That's why they all sell - different clubs fit different swings better.

You will like the G 4H - I bought it on a whim, played it yesterday and it's almost automatic in high easy it is to hit high straight shots, a club you can trust on day one.

Experienced the new G driver yesterday. I took a few swings but set at 8 degrees was not ideal for me. The sound is much improved over the G30, in my opinion. Canadan hit some bombs with it!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Love this club. Have it some swings yesterday at demo days. This may replace my G25. Love the new technology.

I had two very enjoyable days on course with the G Series driver.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear a lot of the talk focus on the head and the dragonfly tech. With the G30, I found the turbulators to really stand out, but with G I think it's actually a really good blend of the two. They get a bit lost in each other and it's just a busy head that doesn't bother the eyes at address. Personally, I still enjoy framing the ball with the turbulators and find that it adds some confidence in my setup.

Flight wise, I think it ranges from a genuine low to a mid-high for my game. AMart, who plays a notably lower flight overall was fairly low to mid between -1 8* and +1 10* with the head. I was pretty surprised by the G series launching at that level with the Alta 55g shaft built into it, but it's clear that Ping knows what they are doing with their shaft selections. I do get the loading sensation, but that plays heavily into my typical 65+g X flex gamer expectations.

Sound wise, they've improved over G30 by a decent margin. I believe we are all unique in our sound preferences, and I myself lean towards the more subtle contact sounds - which didn't really fit the higher end sound of the G30. They've dialed it back in an excellent way, and I think it's eliminated sound as a genuine interest barrier for me moving forward.

I think forgiveness is in line with what I'd expect for the G series head shape. I would say the most common flight I'm experiencing is a relatively straight strike, with my typical draw sneaking into a handful of swings. I did have some contact way out towards the toe that carried about 255 yards with a bit of a sweeping draw off my line, but that's still quite solid when you consider how far away from center the contact was. Similarly, AMart, who plays a fairly predictable fade, had a couple grazing shots that limped out to the fairway with a sweeping fade, with a couple others improving due to more solid contact. Basically, this driver isn't going to fix your flaws, but it'll certainly let you play them a bit.

I've enjoyed it. A lot.

I am seriously thinking about picking one of these up this week! I have accumulated a bunch of credit to golfsmith, and this this would be a fun club to have! I am blown away at my initial first swings with this at demo days this past weekend. It has been stuck in my head ever since...

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the G. We have similar handicaps . Are u playing it at the standard length shaft? I custom ordered a G at 45 inches in the R shaft. Can't wait until it comes in next week.

Playing standard shaft with the plus 1/16 grip. Thinking I may go ahead and order the 3 wood soon while the wife is still in favor of me doing so.

Hit this Monster Yesterday at the range. First swing I actually Startled the older Gentleman in the stall next to me. We both had a laugh and both enjoyed taking turns hitting it. This club is long!!!!!! It even sounds long. I think I am definitely on my way to an all Ping bag. Well, maybe not the putter. The fairway woods were exceptionally long as well. Way to go ping.

Hit this Monster Yesterday at the range. First swing I actually Startled the older Gentleman in the stall next to me. We both had a laugh and both enjoyed taking turns hitting it. This club is long!!!!!! It even sounds long. I think I am definitely on my way to an all Ping bag. Well, maybe not the putter. The fairway woods were exceptionally long as well. Way to go ping.

If you use a mallet putter check out the Ketsch. I was skeptical at first but now I'm in love with it!

If you use a mallet putter check out the Ketsch. I was skeptical at first but now I'm in love with it!

I do and I have. It is a very nice putter. I could game it for sure.

Anyone previously playing a G30 switch to the new G?
If so what model did you play before and what did you end up with the G?

I recently had a chance to test my current gamer (G30 SF Tec 10* lofted to 11* with Tour 80R) against the G 10.5* with Tour 65R shaft.

I changed my swing a bit this offseason and noticed with the SF Tec that many shots were ending up left of my target line and my misses (pulls) ended up well left (pull hook).
With the G regular head the ball seemed much straighter and my pull misses were just pulls and not hooks.

I ended up scoring a good deal on a mint condition G 10.5* which will be here Monday. Hoping to play Tues and test these both on the course.

I recently had a chance to test my current gamer (G30 SF Tec 10* lofted to 11* with Tour 80R) against the G 10.5* with Tour 65R shaft.

I changed my swing a bit this offseason and noticed with the SF Tec that many shots were ending up left of my target line and my misses (pulls) ended up well left (pull hook).
With the G regular head the ball seemed much straighter and my pull misses were just pulls and not hooks.

I ended up scoring a good deal on a mint condition G 10.5* which will be here Monday. Hoping to play Tues and test these both on the course.

I haven't hit the G30 SF Tec, but I am pretty familiar with the G30 and the G now. As Ping built the SF Tec to turn the ball left between the weight moved closer to the heel and lighter swing weight, it makes a lot of sense that you're seeing a straighter flight with the standard G.

I'd say the G is a touch lower launching in total than the G30, which i find beneficial for me personally but I've seen a few people struggle to elevate at 8-9 degrees of loft. Not a bad thing to loft up though!

Congrats on the purchase, and enjoy it!

May I ask where you found a deal on the G?

Hit both the G30 and the G against my G25 today. The Trackman results for the first two were very similar - the G had a touch less spin but not enough to make a difference in the end result for me.

May I ask where you found a deal on the G?

I watch ProClubs on eBay and they listed one last night. Mint condition. For the price I had to snag it. Essentially saved me about $100 vs buying new.

Back