Do you know who is in front of you?

StLCardsFan

Reaction score
Handicap
>0, <10
I don't mean personally, but when you have a group you are following, do you make a mental note of what they are wearing at least?

I was playing yesterday and my group got hit into on the 14th hole. It wasn't really a slow day, just pretty steady for the course. Sometimes you waited a bit, sometimes not. The 14th hole goes up a hill, down the other side, then back up a hill to the green. Because of this, you can't really see the whole landing area. You can see the last 100 yards or so of the hole, and the green, along with the 15th tee box.

There were two in our group that were in the blind spot, and the other two were in front of them so we couldn't really split up. We think we hear a ball land off to the right, then one bounce a few yards from where we were sitting. After that one we drive off to a spot where we can be seen and make it known that we are in the area.

We were still waiting for the green to clear when this happend. From the tee you can see who is on the green. Whenever I am on the course, I try and make a mental note of the group in front of me. Yesterday it was two yellow shirts, a white shirt, and a bright green shirt. Ahead of them was two blue shirts, a red shirt and a white shirt. If you have been waiting off and on all day, wouldn't you wait to hit tee shots until you knew for sure where the group in front was, especially when on the 14th and you have been following all day? Clearly, we were not the group on the green as we had two white shirts, a black shirt, and an orange shirt wearing pants.

I heard one of them talking (two juniors, two dads) before the round that they were doing a practice round for a junior event at the course next week, so maybe they had never seen the course before so I can give them a pass and they didn't know part of the hole was blind. But when you don't know, or have a blind shot, don't you wait until you know for sure on any hole? Maybe I 'overthink' my surroundings, but it just seems that you should at least have a visual on who you are following and wait to locate that group before teeing off.

i usually have an idea whos in front of me but im usually the longest in my 4 some so i usually am the last to tee off, if play is slow that day. sounds like they weren't aware of the course layout and hit one into you by accident.

I dont usually pay attention to who they are or what they are wearing. If the group ahead of me is dinking around in the trees for 5 minutes looking for a lost ball and I accidentially hit into them because I didnt see them and didnt know they were there, oh well.

I try to be cognizant of whoever is in front of me, nothing makes me feel more of and arse than accidentally hitting anywhere even close to the group in front of me. I had to appoligize to a group last week, they were 40 yards out of my range so I teed off, caught it just right and it was within 10 yards of where they were standing, granted it rolled up to that spot slowly, but still. They did not notice it when I hit, but when they got to the green only 70 yards in front of my ball and saw me pulling up close to where they had just hit from they did notice then. They were very gracious as I apologized and allowed me to play through on the next tee. I really did feel cruddy about it.

Playing a crowded course is frustrating but patience is a virtue. I'm usually aware of who is in front. At least two groups. Like the other day there was a twosome in front if our three. Then after the 6th hole there were four! And they were hitting multiple balls off the tee. It's how it goes sometimes. I'm really aware of where people are or try to be do I don't hit into them. Or I try to be. Golden rule.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.294741,-75.678071

I don't mean personally, but when you have a group you are following, do you make a mental note of what they are wearing at least?

I was playing yesterday and my group got hit into on the 14th hole. It wasn't really a slow day, just pretty steady for the course. Sometimes you waited a bit, sometimes not. The 14th hole goes up a hill, down the other side, then back up a hill to the green. Because of this, you can't really see the whole landing area. You can see the last 100 yards or so of the hole, and the green, along with the 15th tee box.

There were two in our group that were in the blind spot, and the other two were in front of them so we couldn't really split up. We think we hear a ball land off to the right, then one bounce a few yards from where we were sitting. After that one we drive off to a spot where we can be seen and make it known that we are in the area.

We were still waiting for the green to clear when this happend. From the tee you can see who is on the green. Whenever I am on the course, I try and make a mental note of the group in front of me. Yesterday it was two yellow shirts, a white shirt, and a bright green shirt. Ahead of them was two blue shirts, a red shirt and a white shirt. If you have been waiting off and on all day, wouldn't you wait to hit tee shots until you knew for sure where the group in front was, especially when on the 14th and you have been following all day? Clearly, we were not the group on the green as we had two white shirts, a black shirt, and an orange shirt wearing pants.

I heard one of them talking (two juniors, two dads) before the round that they were doing a practice round for a junior event at the course next week, so maybe they had never seen the course before so I can give them a pass and they didn't know part of the hole was blind. But when you don't know, or have a blind shot, don't you wait until you know for sure on any hole? Maybe I 'overthink' my surroundings, but it just seems that you should at least have a visual on who you are following and wait to locate that group before teeing off.

You are thinking correctly. I pay close attention and know who or at least what they are wearing, as far as the group in front. I never hit till I'm 100% sure it is clear. Lots of people just don't get it and they have no idea how bad the outcome could be with their not paying attention and just hitting. Good thread!

I almost always make a note of who is in front of me. There are a lot of holes like the one you described, so it is helpful to know which group is on the green.

I have to say that when I'm in a situation where we have to wait and our balls lie in a position which can't be seen from the tee, at least one of us will hang out in a position where he can be seen until we can hit. That condition exists on the 6th hole of my home course, and we always post either a walker or one cart on the right side of the fairway so that long hitters can see that we are still there waiting.

Yes, courses around me are crowded and most players are in and out of the trees finding balls. So I do look to see what color shirts the group in front of me is wearing.

Unless it's somebody I know well, I don't really pay too much attention to the group ahead. Unless they're playing real slow. If they're not, I try to take my time so that they don't always see me pushing from behind.

Typically of the courses I play most frequently there are either marshalls and or flags denoting players in the blind hitting areas or on the GPS in the carts you can see where the players in front of you are.

More often than not though, yes I notice what they're wearing especially on a particularly slow day so that I know if we're waiting on more than one group, I should recognize the specific group one ahead yes.

Back