** Match Play Questions for THPers **

No_Three_Jacks

Amateur around scratch
Reaction score
Handicap
Im playing in the Baton Rouge City Am tomorrow and sunday. Its a 64 player march maddness type of event. Win your 18 hole match and move on. Some of the best players in Baton Rouge and Louisiana will be there. Ive played in lots of stroke play "medal" tournaments but never a match play. Can you guys help me with any rules i need to be aware of?

I know that some infractions that are usually 2 strokes in stroke play are loss of hole or actually rehit in match play. Please help me out. Thanks!

Watch the Ryder Cup. Read the Ryder Cup rulebook. You'll be fine.

It really all depends on the situation. Your partner can give you gimmes in Match play. But as long as you follow the basic rules of golf you shouldnt have any problems.

As for strategy, some people handle it differently. I like to be the first one on the green. So if I am playing someone who is shorter off the tee than me, I may play 3wood or hybrid to have the option of hitting first. Plus, youre using a more accurate club.

Set goals for yourself that have nothing to do with your opponent. Stick to them, don't worry about what he's doing. My goals are always the same. Shoot 40 or under on each 9, score nothing worse than a 5. The only time you might want to implement some sort of strategy is whether or not to make him make some short putts early or give them to him, that way when he has to make one, you haven't let him roll some short ones yet.

I don't care about who hits first into the green. I let the hole dictate what I do off the tee, not my opponent.

Oh well, in terms of strategy. When I play my friends or dad heads up match play style, I dont worry about what they are doing. Worry about your own game and trying to make birdies. Also, get the guy behind early. If he gets behind early, he has more pressure on him to hit super shots and he will most likely hit very poor shots.

In most match play, if you hit out of turn your opponent can make you rehit. Also, don't ask your opponent what club they hit (par 3, etc.), this results in a loss of the hole. Don't stand directly behind or in front of your opponent when they are putting (to try to get the "line") I believe this is a loss of the hole as well.

Hope this helps, good luck and play well.

Don't pick up your ball until you're in the hole.

One tip from the mental side of things; treat each hole individually. Once you are done with a hole it is done. If you make a triple and your opponet birdies, it doesn't matter, you lost one hole, you didn't go down by 4 strokes that you need to make up. That is one of the great things about match play. You can blow up and have a bad hole, and it doesn't hurt your overall score, you just lose one hole.

It really all depends on the situation. Your partner can give you gimmes in Match play. But as long as you follow the basic rules of golf you shouldnt have any problems.

As for strategy, some people handle it differently. I like to be the first one on the green. So if I am playing someone who is shorter off the tee than me, I may play 3wood or hybrid to have the option of hitting first. Plus, youre using a more accurate club.

I know in a 4 ball match play that if I putt it to 2 feet im not allowed to finish if my partner isnt out? Is the same with 1 vs 1

You can only finish a short putt if you are away. Other than penalty strokes for a ball in a hazard or OB the primary penalty in match play is loss of hole. Also (not that this would happen often but jsut in case) if your opponent calls a penalty on you he must do so before either of you tees it up on the next hole.

As for stretegy like others I do try to play my own game but I think you need to be aware of where your opponent is at so that you can press or play the safe shot when the situation calls for it. Good luck and ahve fun. To me match play is a lot more fun than stroke play as momentum can change much more quickly.

good luck!

One tip from the mental side of things; treat each hole individually. Once you are done with a hole it is done. If you make a triple and your opponet birdies, it doesn't matter, you lost one hole, you didn't go down by 4 strokes that you need to make up. That is one of the great things about match play. You can blow up and have a bad hole, and it doesn't hurt your overall score, you just lose one hole.

Good reminder and thoughts. I love match play. Our mens league is match play and it is a ton of fun.

I'll be trying to qualify for my city's matchplay next weekend. Good luck NTJ!

Set goals for yourself that have nothing to do with your opponent. Stick to them, don't worry about what he's doing. My goals are always the same. Shoot 40 or under on each 9, score nothing worse than a 5. The only time you might want to implement some sort of strategy is whether or not to make him make some short putts early or give them to him, that way when he has to make one, you haven't let him roll some short ones yet.

I don't care about who hits first into the green. I let the hole dictate what I do off the tee, not my opponent.

It seems to me this would be great advice for medal play; but for match play, not so much. IMO you're playing your opponent as much, if not more, than the course.

Do not get too caught up in the rule differences. I know it sounds simple and maybe a little stupid, but have FUN! I see a lot of people pressing in match play and playing tense. Stay present and do not let one poor hole become contagious.

Fairways and greens. Fairways and greens. Boring does well in match play.

Back