Pilgrim Oak- Lancaster, PA

Buckjob

My Friend's Call Me Drew
Reaction score
Handicap
has anyone played here one of my normal 4somes travel to play different courses every 2 weeks and were looking at going here next monday. If not ill post a review after monday

I haven't, but I will be interested in the review. I live close to lancaster.

EMQ4700 was there about a month or so ago. He said the course was spectacular and he said it has really good weekday deals. I have to get out there and make a trip to play it. Does your foursome play any courses in the Harrisburg area?

we all work in Reading, we usually try to stay within an hours drive because we usually play on days we are switching to our night shift so we have to be back by 5 but id come up to harrisburg. i played the links at gettysburg about 2 years ago with my buddy who lives up near harrisburg that was a nice course.

Look forward to review!!!

Hey all, I am a relatively new poster, but have frequented Pilgrim's Oak quite a few times. I live about 45 minutes away from the course and the best way I can put it is, if I was closer, I would be there 2-3 times a week.
For the money, this is a great track. I live in Maryland and have played Bulle Rock a few times and dollar for dollar, PO is a better course. On the weekends, you can get out for $50-$60. The course is always in great condition and the greens give a true roll. The course is not flat at all and makes for some interesting 2nd and 3rd shots into the green. Here is my observations of each hole...
1. Par 4 dogleg left and downhill. Don't want to miss to the left, find the fairway or a little left and you will be on the green.
2. Par 4 Uphill tee shot with some carry. One of the tougher holes on the course
3. Par 4 downhill dogleg right. Water cuts across the fairway, but you want to be as close to the water as possible awhich would leave you about 130-140 to the green,
4. Par 3 one of the easiest holes on the course straightforward short hole. My least favorite hole.
5. Par 4 downhill tee shot back up the hill to a well protected green by bunkers
6. Par 5 Aim straight for the bar and you are good to go. Dogleg right around a pond, good scoring opportunity
7. Par 4 175 to carry the water, straight out. Two Tiered green, make sure you are on the right tier or a two putt would be good. Don't go left off the tee or you will find the driving range.
8. Par 3 long par 3 downhill, but all carry as a creek runs in front of the green. No where to miss left, right is a bail out. Beautiful and hard hole.
9. Par 5 Depending on where you play from, this can be bear of a hole. if you are on the back tees the carry is deep. other than that drive it straight and then you will have a blind 2nd to the green.
10. Par 4 dogleg left. If you miss left you are OB the miss here is right. however, depending on where the pin placement is it can be a tough putting hole.
11. Par 4 Dogleg right that goes uphill. very tough and long second shot to a smallish green. Left is OB
12. Par 3. Prettiest hole on the course. Again all carry and deep green. Make sure you pick the right club to get to the appropriate depth of the green.
13. Par 4 Short and straight with everything running right to left. The FW ends before the green
14. Par 5 Big dogleg right with a waste bunker the whole way on the FW. Smallish green but definitely a good scoring hole.
15. Par 4 The hardest hole on the course to me. Long, Long and longer. Drive it straight and then the FW ends again to a two tiered green. DO NOT miss the appropriate tier or a 3 putt is in your future.
16. Par 4 slight dogleg right that is driveable. But if you miss left you could be in the woods. Good Scoring change.
17. Par 3 all carry long but not deep green.
18. Par 5, Great finishing hole. Water starts down the left hand side where your drive will be and runs to about 150 out. Water along the right starts about 260 out and runs to the front of the green as the green is tucked behind the water. Must hit every shot straight.

You will very much enjoy the course and be hard pressed to find a better value for a course in great condition. Enjoy

great write up thanks. it looks nice on the website but even i can look good over the internet! lol now im even more excited about getting out there monday!

Great analysis dixon!

Thanks guys, I am playing there Sunday with my new 910 and cannot wait!

Finally played here today. Played from the blues 6320 yards 71.7/139. shot an 81 was pretty happy left some strokes out there but i was very pleased with my round.. so this course was in GREAT shape. i was very impressed there wasn't a bad fairway tee box or green on any of the holes. i paid 40 bucks with a cart. i prob wouldn't walk this course there were a lot of hills. We got there early and we paid the clubhouse is nothing special but they have hotdogs and drinks and a few shirts and balls and stuff. Got to the practice putting green did that for 15 minutes then went to the range they have grass tees to hit from. small bucket was $4 large was $7 small was 30 balls large was 60. hit a small bucket then i went to the chipping and sand trap short game practice hole and worked on some chipping. i was worried when i saw the sand traps there was NO sand in them they were just hard dirt. but this was NOT the case on the course. i was in the sand twice today and there was plenty of sand in the traps on the course. The starter was very polite and told us about the first hole and some other holes and what holes were cart path only. There were a lot of people out taking care of the course today cutting and weedwacking and watering greens ect.... you can tell they take good care of the course. anyway more about the course. it was more of a links style course it is pretty open but there are quite a few sand traps and a lot of hills to make the course more challenging. it was amazing to me that there were so little people there playing.. we had 2 2somes behind us that we let play through on the 2nd and 3rd holes and i only saw 2 other groups the rest of the day! there was no one out there at all. Fairways were in great shape and so were the tees. The greens were great i thought. they were a little fast but not too fast and they rolled great! A lot of the greens had a couple different tiers that i would have liked to have known about before hand. But ill def remember a few of them when i go back. all in all this is a great course for the money... when we pulled up i was speaking with a guy who was playing and he asked if i had been there before i told him no and that we came up from Reading,PA he said that this was the best kept secret in Lancaster! i couldn't agree more for the price and it must be a secret if no one is out playing there! Will def put it on my list of courses that i won't mind traveling to play again.

Back