Tee it high = high right?

derelict

In the trees
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
This has been driving me nuts lately... I was hitting a lot of my drives high and right... I posted another thread about wondering if I needed a stiffer shaft.

My tempo is good now and I usually hit it pretty straight and very long, but recently everything was going high and right. I thought my swing speed was increasing and I needed a stiffer shaft. But I was not positive, so I bought the same driver, but with a stiff shaft (I am playing an 09 burner so they are not expensive). When I was at the range, I hit both, and I can feel that the X-stiff is too stiff. I hit the Stiff shaft really nicely... I can feel the ball compressing and everything was launching straight. I noticed that the rubber tee (hitting off mats) was lower than I usually tee it.

So today I played a round with some co-workers and I decided to purposely tee it lower. I only hit one out of about 10 drives high right... So looks like I am on to something, but does this make sense? Does teeing it high promote a high right push or slight slice?

I dont know if that is true or not but the same thing happend to me. I started using Epoch tees instead of the basic wood ones, teed the ball a bit lower and Iam getting straighter flight and better distance. I dont ask, I just enjoy it, maybe it is a SoCal thing. LOL

Lets keep the ask the pro section clean until Andy has had a chance to come in and answer. Thanks.

tee height will have some impact on the shot. As a general rule you want half of the ball above the crown of the driver at setup. For players that really hit up through the ball with the driver you can have it teed too high. Just be careful going down that line you can tee it too low and start to hit down on the ball and introduce a whole new set of issues. Playing with it and getting results is great. I hope that answers your question.

I have to admit that having been away from the game for sixteen years and then coming back to it, one of the biggest surprises to me has been the changes to the driver that have occurred over time and its impact on the geometry of the drive itself.

The recommended address position is now different. The tee height in relation to the crown of the club head has been the rule forever as I recall. However now that means the ball is up around my knees (just kidding).

I recently commented in one of my threads that I played with a guy the other day that was hitting these majestic drives, towering affairs that just kept climbing and climbing at a very steep angle. He was hitting some of these things over 300 yards easily and none were less than 300 for the time I played with him that day. He landed one on an upslope 20 yards short of the front edge with a pin set at 365. Anyway I realized that he was getting his hands through the hitting zone way faster than I was so I thought I would try that. Sure enough I was hitting these drives that had a very steep angle of trajectory and finished way up there. None of these would be mistaken for ballooning shots as a ballooned shot describes something much different. No way I could hit it 300+ but I could hit it 280 which is a big deal for me. Both he and I tee up using the old crown of the club rule.

The point being that I don’t believe I ever saw drives like that sixteen years ago. The standard for good, long drives as I remember it then was much more of a line drive that while getting off the ground, finished at its zenith less than half as high as my playing partner was hitting the ball regularly. I still see the kind of line drive today that I remember from sixteen years ago but as stated earlier I do not remember ever seeing these towering, majestic drives sixteen years ago. He hits his with a slight draw and since I started really getting my hands through quickly, I have had a slight fade to dead straight. Been working to get the fade to be gone and hit it dead straight yesterday.

The high part is probably the tee but as the aove poster said the sweetspot is now at the top of the clubface so you are suppose to hit it a little higher. The right is proably from fanning the face open a bit while trying to get up to that higher ball. Hold the club with the face pointing to the sky and you will see its a little open. Point it lower and it closes.

Back