Callaway XR16 Pro Driver Review Thread

I love this club. I've played 10 rounds or so and its just deadly consistent for me. Favorite club in the bag right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent a bit of time on the range this afternoon with the XR16 Pro driver and I am really intrigued.

Going to get the head into a couple of my preferred shafts to see how it measures against the LTD. I think I want to love this line.... or at the very least get amped up for sub zero at some point haha

Too funny... This is the dark horse in my little driver shootout. I like the looks of the XR16 Pro better than the LTD and LS Tec, but I haven't hit it well with my non-preferred shaft. (there's a shocker)

Will be interesting to hear how this one stacks up against the LTD.

Too funny... This is the dark horse in my little driver shootout. I like the looks of the XR16 Pro better than the LTD and LS Tec, but I haven't hit it well with my non-preferred shaft. (there's a shocker)

Will be interesting to hear how this one stacks up against the LTD.

There are sooooo maaaaany good drivers out there this year. Glad to see this series is getting the full attention it deserves.

There are sooooo maaaaany good drivers out there this year. Glad to see this series is getting the full attention it deserves.
No doubt about that. Off-topic, I'm thinking it may come down to which driver I am more comfortable with - hard to argue with what gives me confidence.

Back on topic, with the current shaft I have in the XR16 Pro (Kai'li xstiff), this actually feels somewhat light during the swing.

So... This one is long. Lofted even down to 9, had zero trouble launching this with still a penetrating flight. Distance into the wind was surprising, downwind much better.

Bad swings don't get good results, good tempo and ones at 75-80% are just rockets.

How's the launch low off the club face? I remember the flyy z plus was too low launching from there when I tried it.

I'd say it's noticeable but not what I would consider too low for me. Still gets good height and distance.

I love this club. I've played 10 rounds or so and its just deadly consistent for me. Favorite club in the bag right now
You hit it awesome today. Right now my only chance against you is to hit 3 wood off the tee and hope to keep close distance wise. I desperately need to see a pro because struggling with my driver these last few rounds is getting old. I hit the xr16 pro 3 wood better than any club I've ever hit, but the driver just hasn't been there.

Is there much difference in the ball wanting to go straight between this and the regular xr 16?

Is there much difference in the ball wanting to go straight between this and the regular xr 16?
Thats a question for the indian, not the arrow

I honestly didn't see much loss in forgiveness with the Pro compared to the regular XR16. Biggest difference for me was the size of the club head. I much preferred the smaller size of the Pro.

Both are beasts, however.

I honestly didn't see much loss in forgiveness with the Pro compared to the regular XR16. Biggest difference for me was the size of the club head. I much preferred the smaller size of the Pro.

Both are beasts, however.

i echo these comments. Both drivers were beasts on the range and course. There is forgiveness in both and mishits in both but like PhillyV said thats about the Indian more than the arrow.

The forgiveness heel side on the pro for a head if it's size is astonishing to me. Of course you are still penalized but no where near some other drivers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lofted up to 11 deg and saw a definite increase in height, I did not see much difference in distance. I did really flush one and it was longer than most. It did seem the misses were longer though compared to lofted down.

As of last night, I'm officially the owner of an XR16 Pro. I probably should have waited and spent some more time testing, but I'm playing tomorrow and I wanted to get it out on the course. I hit this, the 816, the M1, and something in the Ping G series with a tour shaft. I really didn't like the Ping at all, so I didn't pay too much attention to exactly what it was. I liked both the 816 and the M1, the XR16 Pro seemed to be a standout. I saw a ball speed about 5 mph faster than with the 816 or M1. Forgiveness seemed to be about the same as the M1, and definitely better than the 816, although I didn't mess with different positions for the gravity core much. I also didn't play around too much with shafts and just went with the stock Speeder 665 because my plan is to put the HZRDUS yellow in this. I should be able to get it out to the course tomorrow (with either the Speeder or my current Whiteboard), so I'll report back.

Smaller head size typically equals low launch for me, and I already hit the ball low. Standard XR16 may be what I'm after.

~Rock

I spent a bit of time on the range this afternoon with the XR16 Pro driver and I am really intrigued.

Going to get the head into a couple of my preferred shafts to see how it measures against the LTD. I think I want to love this line.... or at the very least get amped up for sub zero at some point haha
I was amped up for the Sub Zero. Have lost all interest now that I have the Pro almost dialed in. I'm killing this thing. I haven't tried it at 11° yet. That's next. Only reason I'm going there is when I had the loft measured it came in a 8° when it was set at +1.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't been so confident off the tee in a long time.

I'd say it's noticeable but not what I would consider too low for me. Still gets good height and distance.
I thought mine was launching low. Had the loft checked and set at 10° it came in at 8°. Trying it at 11° tomorrow. Still absolutely love it. It's a bomber.

Smaller head size typically equals low launch for me, and I already hit the ball low. Standard XR16 may be what I'm after.

~Rock

I think I would be more comfortable with a deeper face but that's me.

As of last night, I'm officially the owner of an XR16 Pro. I probably should have waited and spent some more time testing, but I'm playing tomorrow and I wanted to get it out on the course. I hit this, the 816, the M1, and something in the Ping G series with a tour shaft. I really didn't like the Ping at all, so I didn't pay too much attention to exactly what it was. I liked both the 816 and the M1, the XR16 Pro seemed to be a standout. I saw a ball speed about 5 mph faster than with the 816 or M1. Forgiveness seemed to be about the same as the M1, and definitely better than the 816, although I didn't mess with different positions for the gravity core much. I also didn't play around too much with shafts and just went with the stock Speeder 665 because my plan is to put the HZRDUS yellow in this. I should be able to get it out to the course tomorrow (with either the Speeder or my current Whiteboard), so I'll report back.

The stock shaft is quite good too.

I got this out on the course Friday afternoon and I think I'm going to really like it. I've been struggling a bit with my driver swing lately, so I can't say that every shot I hit was great, but I think I can safely comment on two things even from a day when at least 50% of my drives weren't too straight. First, I think I'm going to see a bit more ball speed from this face than the 815 DBD I have been gaming. On well struck shots, this thing just wants to go. One drive in particular ended up in a spot that I've only ever been before when the conditions were really hard and the ball was running (the conditions were not hard on Friday). Second, the XR16 Pro is definitely more forgiving than the 815 DBD, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the 815 DBD is all that harsh, but I put some horrible swings on the ball on Friday, and still saw plenty of distance, even when the ball wasn't going straight.

One other quick comment: I think I agree with Karl's post above about the stock shaft being quite good. I played around a bit on the range swapping out the stock Speeder with a Whiteboard, and I didn't notice a huge difference. Both launch and distance seemed pretty similar. I ended up deciding to play with the Speeder to try it out on the course. It really felt like a nice shaft. It was a bit lighter than what I usually play, and an inch longer, but I don't think either really threw me off that much. My immediate plan to put the HZRDUS Yellow in this and hopefully never look back, but I could easily game the Speeder, I think.

This thing spins too much for me with the LZ Handcrafted, but with the Grandura 590 it settled in just right.

Sure hope Kang is hitting this long & straight.

Sure hope Kang is hitting this long & straight.
I've actually given it the boot... subzero took its place

Back