The Greatest Shot Ever!!

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Not to toot my own horn, but I made the most spectacular shot today. Let me set the scene: Gorgeous sunny day, my boss and a coworker were out playing a round of 18. None of us were really doing exceptionally well, but we were still having lots of fun. We reach 15, a par 4 hole. My drive is pretty decent, a little off to the right, but still playable. My second shot is about 110 yards or so, so I pull my PW. I duff it and it goes about 40 yards or so. Next shot is with my 50 degree. The practice swings are great, but my shot goes right and I think it's in the greenside bunker. To all of our amazement, my ball is propped right at the lip of the bunker. Another quarter of an inch it would have fallen in. How it stayed there is beyond me. The pin is about 4-5 in from the fringe. My ball is about 15 feet from the pin. Not having much option, with my 50 in hand I try to chip it on. And then the most amazing thing happens: I hit the ball PERFECTLY. It pops up over the sand and lands about 3 feet from the pin and keeps rolling towards it. Closer, closer, closer and IN!!!! If there was a camera on me that shot would be making the highlight reels. From such a horrible lie, I saved par. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it.

I just wanted to share my story. I drew a picture to show my shot. It's a bit rough, but it does the trick.

scan0001.jpg

Congratulations, 9I!

dude, that's awesome!! and i love the sketch! shows just how pumped you are about that shot.

Thanks all!! It's hard not to be pumped about that shot. Of the hundreds of things that could have happened, I holed it. We were all just stunned it went in. From such a terrible lie too. It was by far the best shot of my life.

Thanks all!! It's hard not to be pumped about that shot. Of the hundreds of things that could have happened, I holed it. We were all just stunned it went in. From such a terrible lie too. It was by far the best shot of my life.

and there will be many more best shots man!! that's the beauty of this game. it can take SO much, but when it gives back, there's no better feeling on the planet.

+1 TC! Truer words were never spoken! It is a great feeling! Here's to many more! Thanks everybody!!

I love the sketch...you should sign it and frame it...then hang it up to commemorate the shot!

Awesome that you're excited enough to sketch it out for us!:
These are the moments that make the game so much fun, when you hit a shot better than even you can imagine.

well played good sir, well played

Congrats...the fact that you turned it in to a sketch is awesome.

Nice shot and nice sketch!

Nice shot 9!

More people should be sketching their rounds! haha.

Nice shot 9I! :D

One of the best (most entertaining, actually) shots I had the fortune to witness involved a bit of bunker luck. My brother was playing an approach out of the trees from about 150 yards. Managed to knock it out but hit a low runner, straight left towards the bunker.
It was a blind shot for him, so if I wasn't watching from the side of the green, he may still be looking for it now.
The ball hit the front lip of the bunker, ran round the length of the lip and flipped out 90 degrees to the right, rolled along the green with about a 20ft swing and straight into the middle of the hole.

I let him look for it for a couple of minutes before I told him where it was.

What a shot! Love the visual...makes it much better to understand the difficulty of this shot and your excitement about it. Congrats!!!

Love it heh, now if I could only figure out how to never putt like that I would be scratch.

Great posts here and man what an artist! I think you should come down to Florida and do a sketch of the founders of this golf site. Autograph it and they could hang it in their office for display....

One of my almost greatest shots ( I had about 500 of them) nawwwwww just kidding,,,, was the out of the sand trap, between my legs shot. It had rained very hard the night before and one particular trap had a little Ga. red clay wash down in it. The lip on the trap was not high at all and on a par three green. Not wanting to get red mud on the bottom of my shoes, I turned my back to the hole. I was about two foot from the lip so I spread my legs, centered the ball between them and took my putter and whacked the heck out the ball. It came out, hit the flag and almost fell in! My playing partners almost fell over laughing about that shot !! One of them old Danny Boy said Gray, if you had popped that ball up any higher, you would be walking funny for quite some time dude :eek:)...... You got to know old Danny as he comes up with some good ones! He was at our Southeastern golf outing....

Thanks so much everybody! You can look forward to seeing my masterpieces hanging in the Louvre one day! Haha

If I had seen that shot Paulo there would be no way I could contain my excitement. I would have been hollering as it was approaching the hole and would go crazy if it went in. Good on your brother making such a great shot!

Thanks Gray!! What an awesome story! It's amazing how lucky we can get sometimes. The difference from the perfect shot and a complete duff can be a quarter of an inch or less! But that's the game we love!

PS I'm not too sure if JB and GG would like stick figure pictures of themselves! (I can't draw people). If they don't care about that, I'll gladly draw them up another 9I original!

Dude... love the sketch, never seen that before... always nice when they go in

...and nice to meet another Canadian on the board

Nice shot! Those are the ones that keep ya coming back for more. I love the sketch. I can definitely feel your excitement.

Thanks guys!! The excitement is still there. Even a day later!! :D

Back