Anyone had any experience with KZG equipment?

Dazinkster

Reaction score
Stokenchurch, Bucks, United Kingdom, United Kingdo
Handicap
9.8 CONGU
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has played with this equipment and if its as good as it sounds? http://www.kzgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=588&page=31349

I ask because during the process of getting my custom Eidolon wedges I've come into contact with a "proper" custom club builder/fitter (http://www.fourcountiesgolf.co.uk/).

I actually met the guy that trained him last night and it turns out my Mizuno acredited club fitting the other week wasn't as good as I first thought. lol. I haven't ordered them yet though so leaving my options open.

I've had at least one KZG club in my bag for about ten years. I have a lot of confidence in their equipment. I might have more if it was easier to find and test out like most OEM stuff. I currently have a KZG CH-1 three wood - which is an older head but I haven't worn it out and like it, so it is still there. I've always liked the look of their fairway woods and irons. Never had a quality issue. I almost bought a set of their progressive blades years ago - like butter, but couldn't pull the trigger on anything at the time.

I wish there was a fitter in my area so I could try out their newer stuff, but the closest ones are 2-3 hours away or up to 8 hours away... a bit far to drive to "try out" a few clubs...

Last edited:
I'm curious why you say your fitting wasn't good? You sounded very happy with it in your other thread.

I had a KZG FL460 after I won it at a raffle drawing. It was pretty good driver, good feeling and a good boring flight. The driver didn't fit me and I called KZG to see if they would help me out with the shaft but they said that they couldn't do that. It was sold the next day lol

I'm curious why you say your fitting wasn't good? You sounded very happy with it in your other thread.

Yeh, no probs. Perhaps "no good" was a bad choice of words, it was good and I enjoyed the experience. From talking to the custom club fitter last night there were a few things that came up...in particular grip and length.

He explained that when you grip the club it should be tight enough so that you don't drop it but loose enough so that your forearm muscled are relatvely relaxed which allows your hands/wrists to release through impact. This all makes sense from a bio-mechanics point of view. I've always thought I have long fingers/hands (people have commented on it from other sports, and for those of you that have played football I wear XL Cutters gloves), and I just trusted that a "regular grip size" was suitable. He rekoned that when gripping the club the tips of your fingers should just be in contact with your palms (don't know if anyone else has heard this too) and with regular grips I can easilly dig my nails/fingers into my palms. The fitter put a mid and over-size grip in my hand...felt weird but the resulting swing didn't lie, it was much more comfy.

The second difference was club length, as I wrote in the other post, the Mizuno centre rekoned I was standard or possibly shorter than standard. I'm 6ft tall and my wrist to floor measurement is 28" and would consider myself a tall person (I believe the average height in the UK is 5'9" or 5'10"). So when the independant club fitter said he'd look to fit me with clubs longer than standard rather than shorter than standard it makes sense. Again, he put a longer club in my hand and it felt more confortable to swing with it (one of my swing thoughts with my current clubs is "keep my knees bent", and that is so I ensure I hit down on the ball properly).

So I guess what in hindsight I mean is, why was I not given the option to try out longer clubs or thicker grips at the Mizuno fitting? The computer said I was "regular" so myself and the fitter believed it. Was the Mizuno fitter just not trained as well or not as experienced? Who knows? However, the custom fitter I spoke to last night was definitely more experienced and was talking with more confidence as opposed to looking at the computer.

So one fitting wanted me to have short clubs/one with big clubs...one with thin grips/one with thick grips. Who is correct? I'm inclined to go with the guy who offers lifetime adjustments and a yearly swing fitting/MOT at no extra cost.

Hope that explains my thought process

I had a KZG FL460 after I won it at a raffle drawing. It was pretty good driver, good feeling and a good boring flight. The driver didn't fit me and I called KZG to see if they would help me out with the shaft but they said that they couldn't do that. It was sold the next day lol

Lol, thats pretty annoying/bad. For a company that preaches the value of custom fitting only to deny you the chance to get the correct shaft

As far as grip goes, they usually have a standard chart for that based on hand-size and finger length. Also, the same goes for club length. Are you saying that you are using a longer club with a wrist-to-floor of 28 inches? I have a 34 inch wrist to floor and that falls in the standard for most static measurment chart I've looked at. I might be completely wrong here, but I would think you would need a shorter club if your wrists were that close to the ground?

Lol, thats pretty annoying/bad. For a company that preaches the value of custom fitting only to deny you the chance to get the correct shaft

Yeah I went to their website and read that after I got off the phone with them, I didn't buy the driver but they just lost a potential customer. But I'm sure KZG is a good company, maybe I talked to a rep that was having a bad day or something.

I should add that, as far as static fitting goes, a computer shouldn't be a problem. Didn't you also use a lie board to confirm the measurements?

Soz, typo...38" not 28" :bashful:

oooh, that makes much more sense :)

Either way, hope you find something that you are more confident in. Maybe a trip to a different Mizuno fitter if you still are interested in that brand?

Either way, hope you find something that you are more confident in. Maybe a trip to a different Mizuno fitter if you still are interested in that brand?

I tried the mizuno shaft optimizer at a demo day, I was blown away. That is such a cool feature.

I should add that, as far as static fitting goes, a computer shouldn't be a problem. Didn't you also use a lie board to confirm the measurements?

Lie board, yes. Mizuno rekoned 1* upright. It was definitely toe impacting the ground first, obviously I was too inexperienced to comment on the exact amount.

The fitter I saw last night said he'd want to try my with regular lie clubs but with a shaft 6/8" to 1" longer than the Mizuno standard length. Now with a basic bit of maths that means the net result is about the same. So would it be better to have clubs bent to the correct lie or clubs that are slightly longer? The cynic in me says that Mizuno would naturally want me to choose the regular clubs bent to 1* upright as thats closer to their "off the shelf" model than a club thats 1" longer. I'd need to find out more but my instinct would say longer clubs would be better in the long run for my back etc...

The best advice I could give you is to ask the THP pro on his forum. Jrod was the victim of a poor fitting and amollerud gave him his advice. J was able to get the problem fixed after talking to the shop and ended up a very, very happy golfer.

I tried the mizuno shaft optimizer at a demo day, I was blown away. That is such a cool feature.

Yep, this in one area that the fitters agreed on. Something along the lines of a project X shaft 5.0 would be appropriate for me.

It seems as though the shaft optimiser does indeed work

The best advice I could give you is to ask the THP pro on his forum. Jrod was the victim of a poor fitting and amollerud gave him his advice. J was able to get the problem fixed after talking to the shop and ended up a very, very happy golfer.

Sounds like a good shout!

But they don't sell complete clubs to consumers, they sell heads to builders. The raffle you won had to have come from a local builder, not straight from KZG (I could be wrong on that, but that is their business model). Doesn't seem fair to blame KZG for not doing something they don't do.

Back