Should you feel shaft flex?

Hotled

Reaction score
Handicap
old age
Just an odd question since I have never really been fitted for a shaft.
What I want to say is kind of hard to explain.
It seems like on my best drives and hybrid shots, I can feel the shaft un-flex and really launch it. On that note, I don't feel it on allot of my drives in particular.

Does this mean I may be to stiff shafted, or my swing just isn't consistent enough to tell or be accurate. A few weeks back I was driving the ball beautifully but low launching it but dead straight. Then on 17 I put one in the ditch OB and got a bit upset, when I did my rehit I really decided to jump on it and that is when I really felt the shaft flex allot and drove the ball farther than I ever have in the last 20 years, actually rolled it into a green side bunker on a par 4.

My current shaft is a PX 5.0- in the driver
I just bought a 910D2 with the Diamana Kai'li 65, it seemed like I could feel it flexing a tad more when hitting it in the cage.

Good question man...I played reg flex graphite stuff when I started playing again a year ago after my 20 year layoff...as my swing started getting dialed I noticed that I could actually feel the flex... alot... especially on good centerface driver hits and any good down hitting iron shot...and once I got to that point I kinda lost some confidence because I did not like the sloppy feedback I was getting and I subconciously started easing up with my swing... one of the employees at the course had a Mizuno (sp?) 6 iron demo club he was swinging on the range one day when I finished my round... it was a steel stiff shaft of some sort... I hit 5 balls with that thing, all 15-20 yards farther than the 6 hybrid I had in my bag, with a beautiful baby draw and trajectory...at that point I started shopping and looking for a fitting...best thing I ever did for my game

A few days ago I went to a local golfstore and tired a few drivers with trackman. Mostly because I wanted to check my swing. Started out with ar regular shaft and felt it flex alot in my swing. Swingspeed was regularly around 90mph. The guy helping me out said my numbers showed that regular flex would probably suit me best. It seemed strange to me since my current driver is a stiff shaft, didnt get fit for it but i hit that club 20-30 yards longer than any other club I had tested before i bought it.

Ok, so then I tested an 910D2 with aldila rip stiff shaft that was 1 inch shorter than standard. I didnt feel much flex in that shaft but oh'boy I could swing it. Instantly my SS went up to 100mph. When i went back tp the regular shaft I kept my new swingspeed but it didnt feel as good. Basically I have no idea of how it should feel, maybe feel isnt real. But the numbers dont lie so get tested with a trackman radar and you will get insant feedback on yur "feel".

It seems like on my best drives and hybrid shots, I can feel the shaft un-flex and really launch it. On that note, I don't feel it on allot of my drives in particular.

I think that feeling is obtainable with any basically any shaft, but the question is, how to feel that every time? I mean if that's the same feeling I feel sometimes, now more often, it is a very good thing. There's several things that create this effect, or depending on the viewpoint, just one. How the head hits the ball. This is consisted of several things, your swing speed, timing, swing plane, angle of attack, in/out degrees and all that.

Well...what has the shaft has to do anything with that? With the right shaft, not just what the graphics says R/S/XS, but all the other specs of the shaft should be spot on.

So what does the right shaft do? It is the shaft that fits your swing speed, timing, swing plane, angle of attack, in/out degrees and all those things, and a as a result you might get a consistent golf swing, and consistently feel the feeling you've described.

That feeling is awesome, and you know the ball goes the distance, and stays in play.

Back