• Never! Its boring.

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How many times per week do you practice your putting?

Not often enough! My job for the offseason is to get an old fashioned wooden yardstick and practice putting along it. WAY too much curve in my stroke.

• Admin
We might have a couple of training aids for putting coming out that are supposed to be great. I will keep you in the loop.

I try to practice a couple times a week. I've not been practicing as much as I should here lately (since August) I was putting in 80+ hour weeks there for a while, we were really pursuing some big projects here at work. Now the cool weather is rolling in, things are starting to settle down a little, and I'm getting itchy to play some more. I'll likely go out this evening to practice again.

• Admin
Gummi,
I am still amazed that you are not using a Ping Putter yet and that you dont have a Ping bag. lol.

I have to say I don't do it nearly as much as I need to. I voted for everytime I go to the range. I try to also get a little time in on the green prior to a round. The last time I played I was on the practice green for probably an hour. I had just got my new putter and really wanted to get use to it.

I try to practice a couple times a week. I've not been practicing as much as I should here lately (since August) I was putting in 80+ hour weeks there for a while, we were really pursuing some big projects here at work. Now the cool weather is rolling in, things are starting to settle down a little, and I'm getting itchy to play some more. I'll likely go out this evening to practice again.

Depending on how your pronounce "putting" in your brain, that was a really confusing sentence!

Gummi,
I am still amazed that you are not using a Ping Putter yet and that you dont have a Ping bag. lol.

Sounds like the man (I assume a man?) needs to win a contest!

I voted occasionally, although that is a stretch of the truth. This winter the plan is to set up a practice area in the basement. I have to improve on the greens, 3 putts are killing my scores.

I always hit the putting green before I play, but more to figure out the speed than actually "practice", so I voted ocassionally stop by the putting green after work, probably do it every other week.

I always hit the putting green before I play, but more to figure out the speed than actually "practice", so I voted ocassionally stop by the putting green after work, probably do it every other week.

I have real green speed issues, and not so much in putting. I divide my time between public courses and the "real" club. Totally, totally different green speeds. My real problem is chipping and pitching. On the private course, those balls just zoom across the green and off the other side. On public courses, they stay put. I have yet to figure out that adjustment--and the two pros with whom I've worked lately disagree on technique. :confused2:

If they disagree, I say go with the one that you are more comfortable with. My better half had the same issues where the two pros disagreed with her technique and how to better it.

I'd love a Ping putter (or an SC, Odyssey Black, Yes Callie, Frankly Frog, etc.). Eventually I'll have one, just need a couple more good side jobs

If they disagree, I say go with the one that you are more comfortable with. My better half had the same issues where the two pros disagreed with her technique and how to better it.

The one I'm more comfortable with is the one I'm growing out of, if that's a way to put it. He only gets technical when I really push him on it. My new one had the audacity to go to Florida for the off season. Something about his wife having a baby. The nerve of some people! :smirk:

Every time that I go to the range, I practice my putting. That is the big thing that I feel is keeping me from drop 4-6 strokes off my game. Right now I average 36+ putts a round. The only reason that I can score good is because of my ball striking, and my lack of flaring the driver off the tee.

Bringing this one back from the dead. I have begun working more and more on my short game each week. Both putting and around the green shots. I am wondering what others are doing. A couple of times a week I head over to the course and practice putting and working with the Niblick as well as some bunker shots. It seems to have helped my up and down percentage a lot.

But one thing I have noticed is that putting practice has really helped me. Despite putting poorly last round, in recent weeks, my putting has been really strong and I can only attribute it to the practice.

I put "Never! It's boring!"

But in reality, I'll practice about every other time I go to the range...which isn't that often. It puts me to sleep, and my putting isn't holding me back.

I almost never practice putting but always expect great things from my putter!!:bashful:

I really need to put in some time at the putting green

I practice my putting at least once a week when I go to the driving range. Sometimes twice a week. I also have a putting green in my back yard that I use when ever my two youngest grand daughters don't have "Dora" and her friends out there. After warming up, I start with chips, and pitches. After that I will get my putter out. When practicing with my putter, I always us my "game" balls. I focus on hitting a straight putt, with good distance control. After some putting, I go back to chipping, but add putting to the routine. The idea is to chip accurately enough to either make the chip shot, or at the least a one putt. If room is available, I will use the same routine with some longer pitch shots. I always try to use the practice green that has the most undulations, and/or breaks on it. To get an idea of how I am doing, I keep a running score of the chip, and the putt(s) it takes me get the ball into cup. I then divide the total number of strokes by my attempts. Any number between 2.00, and 2.25 is pretty good for 10 attempts. 2.26 to 2.50 is not too bad. Any number over 2.51, means I need to work harder.

Prior to playing, if time permits, I use the same routine. That being said, what ever club I am going to use off the first tee, is the last club I practice with. I always make time for that club.

I used to think putting practice was boring, but I think I find myself enjoying it more than hitting balls. It is such an equalizer on the course.

I voted "before each round" but basically whether at the range or before a round I'll practice putting for as long as possible. I like to do it before a round to get a feel for how the greens may be rolling, plus practice never hurts when you can get it.

I may have to put the Rife in the car for Wed/Thurs/Fri nights to hit the Muni putting green by my fiance's work for a bit while waiting on her to finish work.

i hit about 50-75 putts per night in my living room if that counts? i have about a 30 foot long strech i putt down. and ill mix up the distances too. problem is, i dont always use my gamer (FGP) when doing this. i like hitting the putters i dont game like my Odyssey XG9, Redneck Lurch, TP Mills Tour Series #15, Wilson 8802, Louisville Golf 2500, DeLaCruz, and a few others

They may do more damage than help RS. But your putting with the fgp is outstanding right now.

I practice most nights at home on my putting track. When watching the GC I usually putt during all commercials. I probably putt about 100 or so balls each night with my SeeMore putters. I rarely use the Scotty's anymore. Will probably put them up for sale soon.

I put every time I go to the range.

However, I bought one of the 9' 3 hole putting mats last year, and I've used it very much. I keep it laid out in our "bonus" room and use it while doing my stretches or watching TV. The holes are slightly smaller. I don't know if I'm getting better, but I certainly don't feel as afraid of 6' putts when I'm spending most of my time hitting 9 footers.

Funny this should come up just now. I have been going to the range religiously for several months working on my full swing. My goal was to improve my ball striking because statistically, I was hitting 80% of fairways and 20% GIR's. I think I have gotten much better at ballstriking, but now I need to spend the majority of my time on my short game, putting and chipping. The muni close to my office has a great practice area for short game and a good putting green. I will be going there for my practice for a while.

Back