Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Once again this weekend I validated that the HW is a cannon for me.

Oh and the Divine9, yeah, that'll be happening too here in a month.

I love hearing this. I know if it's working for you, one less decision I need to make

I love hearing this. I know if it's working for you, one less decision I need to make

You should. Divine 9 almost jarred on the 18th, and heck watching Ddec be able to hit it over everything was pretty fun to watch

You should. Divine 9 almost jarred on the 18th, and heck watching Ddec be able to hit it over everything was pretty fun to watch

It's a fun club, isn't it? I took a few swings w/ ddec's when we played, and it was just high and straight.

It's a fun club, isn't it? I took a few swings w/ ddec's when we played, and it was just high and straight.

It just makes me laugh. I used it a couple times off the tee and it was fun. I didn't try off the fairway and I wish I had. If you can't hold a green with that, you need to work on your mechanics.

With all this praise for the heavenwood I'm seriously considering one. Loved the 3-wood but haven't found anywhere in Orlando to demo a heavenwood. Are the distances similar to a 5 wood for most? Just looking at options for gaps at the top of my bag. Thanks!

With all this praise for the heavenwood I'm seriously considering one. Loved the 3-wood but haven't found anywhere in Orlando to demo a heavenwood. Are the distances similar to a 5 wood for most? Just looking at options for gaps at the top of my bag. Thanks!

For me they are similar. But I find I can step on it and reduce it easier than a 5 wood. Also find it easier to hit for me than the 5 wood.

For me they are similar. But I find I can step on it and reduce it easier than a 5 wood. Also find it easier to hit for me than the 5 wood.

What loft do you set yours at and how would you compare with the previous version?

What loft do you set yours at and how would you compare with the previous version?

I'm not JB, but I'm playing mine at 19* (-1) and it just lets me flatten the flight a bit from what I got with last years and that has lead to more distance because of a better descent from the apex (not as steep, but still plenty to hold greens) and in turn more distance out of this than last years, FOR ME. In the end it'll always be a fit thing. I will say though, I prefer the matte look of this one at setup, though performance wise it has a LOT of the same traits, which is a very good thing. What sold me on making the move from the V though is the adjustability, but I could still be playing my V-Series HW and be just as happy as I am now.

I am pretty sure one of these Heavenwoods will be in my #Grandaddy bag. After watching James pound it and discuss how it is even easier than the V-Series 5W I am carrying I think I would be crazy not to get one.

I am pretty sure one of these Heavenwoods will be in my #Grandaddy bag. After watching James pound it and discuss how it is even easier than the V-Series 5W I am carrying I think I would be crazy not to get one.

You need a go-to tee club when it comes to MUST HIT fairway time, and with the power that you have, this could be that club for you IMO.

I agree dude, it is probably a done deal. For me, the only decision now (pending fitters advice) would be the 3W or Mini. Luckily I will be able to hit both and see, but the Mini has been a solid club for me

Has anyone hit the 816 vs the Bertha outdoors? What differences did you see?
I swang them indoors and preferred the 816, but we all know that indoors is far different than a real course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone hit the 816 vs the Bertha outdoors? What differences did you see?
I swang them indoors and preferred the 816, but we all know that indoors is far different than a real course.

Sorry Trevor, I'm no help there.

I will say most who have that I have talked to say the 816 excels off the tee whereas the GBB trumps it off the deck.

IF I do add a 3w this December (and don't just double up in the Divine9/Apex-Hybo slot) then the 816 is on my mind. I have the GBB and adore it, but as the 3w would be a tee club for me (if that, HW is a weapon in my hands) then the 816 has crept into my mind.

i had a fitting at the annika academy at reunion resort today. i was really excited to hit the gbb with all the love here on thp. i don't have the numbers, but this couldn't have been a worse club for me. absolutely zero consistency regardless of changing shafts, changing lengths, trying different lofts. the fitter was really disappointed with how poorly this performed for me. we ended up going with a xr 4w with project x lz red 70 in stiff that i was murdering, and being a demo club i got it for a good price.

So, I hammer the holy hell out of the Heavenwood, its literally my crutch/go-to club from tee and deck at distance with no hesitations and complete confidence I'm going to hit FIR's all day with it. When at the retreat I hit if off a couple tee's and JB asked me, (paraphrasing) "What's the difference in looking at that versus the 3w confidence wise on the tee?" and that stuck with me. The 3w is still a relatively new club in my bag since I left the mini, and honestly hasn't gotten the attention I really probably should pay to it.

Well, that's changing. Its the mental realization that I absolutely CAN hit it as well as I do the HW off the tee and it brings more distance into the equation and I have less margin for error with it than I do my driver. I've really been focusing in on getting comfortable with it and man did it pay off yesterday, literally hitting it where I wanted and being able to tee it low into the wind and sting it out there or tee it high downwind and let it ride. And, I can hit it off the deck alright when I need to, but honestly that's all heavenwood territory for me no matter what.

Such a fun club. It'll be this or the 816 in my bag in a couple weeks, for sure....WITH a HW and D9.

I might have to look into the 816 FW's the GBB's are great off the tee, but not so much for me off the deck. Just a bit big head size wise for my eye, I know it is my swing not the heads but anyway I may see about getting the 3 wood and see how that works out.

I might have to look into the 816 FW's the GBB's are great off the tee, but not so much for me off the deck. Just a bit big head size wise for my eye, I know it is my swing not the heads but anyway I may see about getting the 3 wood and see how that works out.

I couldn't hit it off the deck indoors or outdoors, but I could hit the xr really well. I think it was a spin issue.

Honest opinions....do you prefer the GBB fairway wood over the XR fairway wood from the deck. Knowing the GBB has a slightly larger head, i've not found it as easy to hit as the smaller XR from the fairway

Honest opinions....do you prefer the GBB fairway wood over the XR fairway wood from the deck. Knowing the GBB has a slightly larger head, i've not found it as easy to hit as the smaller XR from the fairway
Yes. Substantially better for me there personally.

I'm in hardcore ponder mode on a few of these. Thinking about going with the 3w, lofted down Heavenwood, and the Divine Nine. Barely missed out on a HW the other day and can't get them out of my head now. I'll probably take my Jetspeed 3W to Dick's and compare it to the GBB in their bay to see how I like the GBB fairway lineup, I think they have a HW also last time I was there to try. The D9 will probably just be a leap of faith, I haven't seen one anywhere close to me.

Just for comparison, how does the GBB 3W compare to the Jetspeed? Which I really do like, but I don't love it if my swing is off a little and it may be right now since I've been too busy to play lately. My Cobra Amp 5W is getting a little long in the tooth and will be replaced by the HW probably. It's time for an upgrade and I'd like to have a little more continuity with the fairways in my bag.

Hard for me to compare it to the Jetspeed, because I did not care for the product, which is odd, because I have enjoyed TM fairway woods in the past. The GBB is a bomber for me. Penetrating flight that seems to go forever.

Hard for me to compare it to the Jetspeed, because I did not care for the product, which is odd, because I have enjoyed TM fairway woods in the past. The GBB is a bomber for me. Penetrating flight that seems to go forever.

Thanks JB, good to hear it's a bomber. I play my 3W off the tee a lot more than I do my driver, so it's definitely something I need. But it's gotta play off the deck too and after reading through this thread it sounds like the GBB is good at that too.

I'm in hardcore ponder mode on a few of these. Thinking about going with the 3w, lofted down Heavenwood, and the Divine Nine. Barely missed out on a HW the other day and can't get them out of my head now. I'll probably take my Jetspeed 3W to Dick's and compare it to the GBB in their bay to see how I like the GBB fairway lineup, I think they have a HW also last time I was there to try. The D9 will probably just be a leap of faith, I haven't seen one anywhere close to me.

Just for comparison, how does the GBB 3W compare to the Jetspeed? Which I really do like, but I don't love it if my swing is off a little and it may be right now since I've been too busy to play lately. My Cobra Amp 5W is getting a little long in the tooth and will be replaced by the HW probably. It's time for an upgrade and I'd like to have a little more continuity with the fairways in my bag.

I reviewed the Jetspeed and play the GBB, I was one who really liked the Jetspeed fwy a ton, IMO it was the ONLY good club to come from that line by TM. That said though, these are genuinely easier to launch, better laterally on misses, and as such are a decent bit longer for me. Really really truly just incredibly well rounded fairways.

I reviewed the Jetspeed and play the GBB, I was one who really liked the Jetspeed fwy a ton, IMO it was the ONLY good club to come from that line by TM. That said though, these are genuinely easier to launch, better laterally on misses, and as such are a decent bit longer for me. Really really truly just incredibly well rounded fairways.

That's pretty impressive to hear as someone who also had good results with the JS. To gain some forgiveness and distance would go a long way. I read your review of the Jetspeed and this whole thread but was just wondering about a comparison of the two. Really, really appreciate the reply Jman. Thank you!

Back