Applying to College

Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
I searched and didn't see a thread about this, but I'm going through the college process this fall and it sucks badly. Wondering if anyone is/has done this? What's your list look like? Here's mine in order of preference:

Cornell
UPenn
Duke
Rice
Vandy
GA Tech
McGill
Rutgers

I hate apps. Them plus homework sucks the most. *sigh* On the plus, if I get into Cornell, I may be able to walk on to their golf team because they're terrible. I send in my E.D. app there this weekend. And so it starts...

Best of luck on this. You have quite an impressive list of schools there, I hope you get into your first choice. I remember this process back in the day and then the waiting process after the apps were sent in. Are you trying for early admission for any of them? Any idea what you want to study in college?

Best of luck on this. You have quite an impressive list of schools there, I hope you get into your first choice. I remember this process back in the day and then the waiting process after the apps were sent in. Are you trying for early admission for any of them? Any idea what you want to study in college?

My early decision app goes out to Cornell this weekend. I want to be an engineer. Hopefully I will end up with a job in golf design. That's why Cornell is my first choice: they have a few good relationships with golf companies for student internships. That would be epic to spend a few semesters out west helping out at a major OEM.

Hey man, I am going through it too. For financial reasons, I am excluding most of the high end private institutions, except for Vandy and perhaps Mercer. I am applying mostly to smaller colleges, as I really like a small-school environment. What do your SATs or ACTs and GPA look like?

Good luck man! I have two cousins who went through Cornell for engineering.. one of them got a Bachelors/Masters in 5 years, and the other just went and got their Bachelors. I think they both really liked the school!

McGill is also a sweet school! Montreal is absolutely amazing, and their engineering program is pretty sweet.

I had three schools on my list.

Pittsburg State University. It's where I wound up and I chose it because it was in the top 3 of printing schools in the country at the time, behind Cal-Poly and RIT. It also had a good journalism program and I wanted to keep my options open.

University of Kansas. Excellent journalism school. In the end, as I mentioned before, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, whether it was writing for the newspaper or printing it so I chose Pitt State.

Eastern Illinois University. Another good journalism school. Unfortunately they only had one scholarship left in the journalism department, and one of the other editors of my school paper got it.

Good luck, and I hope you make the right choice for you.

I am obviously heavily biased towards Duke as I went there, but I will say that you have a great list of schools there, and you'd get a great education at any of those places. My major was biomedical engineering at Duke, and I knew a few of the mechanical engineering majors there as well, I'm assuming that's the area of engineering to focus on if you wanted to work with a golf OEM. Best of luck with the process....don't be like me, who submitted my applications at 10 AM on the postmark deadline (back when you had to mail everything in instead of email it). Get it done early and avoid that stress.

Thanks guys. JR, my SAT is a 2170 (790M, 700CR, 680W) and I didn't take the ACT. My GPA is 5.1 on a 6.0 scale.

RF, I know! I love McGill! My sister is currently there, and she loves it! I'm going up to visit her the weekend before Thanksgiving so I'm really excited!

A little off topic, but I thought it was funny. The endowment at Duke is $5.7 billion according to wikipedia... the endowment at my school is $441 million. Where does all that money go!?
We're in the top 10 for research universities in Canada, but man we must be small fries!

Back on topic: When you are visiting McGill, have your sister take you for a walk down Rue St-Catharines, and Crescent Avenue... you'll know the reason why as soon as you get there.

A little off topic, but I thought it was funny. The endowment at Duke is $5.7 billion according to wikipedia... the endowment at my school is $441 million. Where does all that money go!?
We're in the top 10 for research universities in Canada, but man we must be small fries!

Back on topic: When you are visiting McGill, have your sister take you for a walk down Rue St-Catharines, and Crescent Avenue... you'll know the reason why as soon as you get there.

I believe I'll be up there from the 18-20 of November. I'll definately try to remember that now, thanks.

Very, very good score there bud. I pulled off a 33 on my ACT but never took the SAT.
Thanks guys. JR, my SAT is a 2170 (790M, 700CR, 680W) and I didn't take the ACT. My GPA is 5.1 on a 6.0 scale.

RF, I know! I love McGill! My sister is currently there, and she loves it! I'm going up to visit her the weekend before Thanksgiving so I'm really excited!

Eh, it is, but my unweighted GPA is only a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale, so that pulls me out of the running for a few scholarships. Annoying, but what can I say-- I SUCK at math. On my ACT I had a perfect score in science and near perfect in Reading and English, but a 27 on the math will pull it down a bit.
Dude that's an awesome score! Good luck with your search.

Eh, it is, but my unweighted GPA is only a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale, so that pulls me out of the running for a few scholarships. Annoying, but what can I say-- I SUCK at math. On my ACT I had a perfect score in science and near perfect in Reading and English, but a 27 on the math will pull it down a bit.

That's still a good GPA. Those scores are definately good enough for most of the colleges out there. You'll definately find a good one,

I have the same thing going on too. I'm in a dilemma though. I talked with a local golf coach at Tennessee Martin, and said I have a very good chance to make the team. BUT. I don't know if I want to go golf or go somewhere out of state with my 4.0 GPA on a 4 point scale and my 28 ACT(took my 8th and final attempt last weekend.) If I get a 32+, I will have to really consider getting into my top few schools: Nebraska, Auburn, Bama, Clemson... the list goes on... Oh decisions....

Whatever you do, spend a good long time thinking about the amount of debt you want to have when you leave school. Considering how much private universities are increasing tuition every year, it is entirely possible that without scholarships you could walk out with nearly six figures of debt. Also, if you can, work that financial aid system - especially if you are a highly sought after student, the universities will often review the package and make better offers if they can, you just have to find the right financial aid officer and be really nice to them.

I went to UCLA (back when we had a good football team) and walked out with zero debt in 1996.

I searched and didn't see a thread about this, but I'm going through the college process this fall and it sucks badly. Wondering if anyone is/has done this? What's your list look like? Here's mine in order of preference:

Cornell
UPenn
Duke
Rice
Vandy
GA Tech
McGill
Rutgers

I hate apps. Them plus homework sucks the most. *sigh* On the plus, if I get into Cornell, I may be able to walk on to their golf team because they're terrible. I send in my E.D. app there this weekend. And so it starts...

Good luck and I hope you land where you can get everything you are after. I had no aspirations to play golf or anything in college, so I just picked somewhere close to home. I also wanted to be somewhere on the smaller side.

Lots of great schools on your list.

I remember stressing about where I was going to go to school. I applied to a few schools back in the day: UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Asheville, Appalachian State, and Western Carolina University. I ended up graduating from the Australian National University. My plans changed a lot back then. I was far more concerned with partying and travelling, lol. College rocks. I wish I could live my first year of college down under over and over again. Man, what a great time that was.

Good luck with the applications guys. I highly recommend doing all you can to participate in sports in college. I was lucky enough to do this as an intial walk on @ Xavier and theres nothing like competing in D1 NCAA championships. I participated in 'Olympic' sports (not fball or bball) and was still treated like royalty. No matter the sport, people on campus know who you are, professors really work with you, and the travel / food perks are phenomenal.

Go as far away from home as possible :) Good luck!

College rocks. I wish I could live my college years under over and over again. Man, what a great time that was.

Slightly altered, but a very true statement. I remember before I left for college my Dad pulled me aside and said to enjoy the next 4 years cause for the rest of your life you will always want to re-live them. He is a wise man!!! :D

Oh college. I worked hard enough to get into the school I wanted to go to. I only applied to one school. I only worked hard enough to graduate with good enough grades. I wasn't interested in Law school, so I wanted to do was get my degree and go find a real job.

Back