How firm should grip pressure be?

• Keep your wrists loose or you will lose your lag. Grip can be as tight as you like as long as it doesn't make you tighten up everywhere. Try a practice swing with a tight grip and very loose wrists. See how that feels to you.
  • I suspect that feel isn't real. If you could measure it, would there be a lot of people who hold their club like a bird at address who unconsciously grip much tighter during the swing in order to keep control of the club?

I'm sorry most tour players do not hold the club very firm. Secure yed, but not very firm.

No most tour players hold the club very firm...people that hold the club lightly regrip the club during the swing which is a no no

Depends what you call very firm

People should grip firmly and learn to swing with relaxed wrists and forarms...People that grip lightly will regrip during the swing and doing that many will reposition their grip and that is the beginning of many problems...

Nick Price used to say if the grip had any blood in it I would squeeze it out that's how tight I hold it....Now for some that don't know who Nick Price is a tour player that that is known for hitting the ball very straight....

These silly statements about holding a club like a bird are way blown out of all proportion..learn to swing the club with a firm grip...

If you look at the majority of amateurs gloves they will be worn out in the palm that'd because the grip is slipping around in their hand a sign that the grip is not firm nor is it under control..

You want to feel like you are grabbing a black bear's arse right before hibernation. You hang on too hard and you might get ya head bit off, you grab it just right, and you'll have a friend for life :thumb:

This is the best piece of golf advise I have ever heard.

I just made several calls to other teaching pros I know in the industry to ask them what they thought about grip pressure. I also asked if their PGA tour guys share in their feeling about grip pressure. Each of the men I spoke with all said the same thing. If your grip is too tight you produce tension in your forearms and will have a harder time releasing the club. They also said they should be able to pull the club from my hands with a bit of effort.

We spoke about the proper area to feel the pressure in your grip. It's like I said last night, the index and thumb are your triggers and will carry most of the grip. This holds true for both hands. It seems that Justin Rose have a very light touch on the grips as does DA Points. They make sure they are devoid on undue pressure when holding the grip or when they get into contention. Down the stretch they will have a tendency to stretch their hands as they walk from shot to shot to be sure they do not apply a death grip It seems that being aboe to release the club is big deal to them.

I have started a new routine right before I hit the ball. I put the club head behind the ball on the ground and relax my grip then hover about half and inch and pull the club back. it A. helps me relax my grip and B. the movement helps start my swing and it ends up with much better timing.

I get a kick out of discussions on the internet...where does firm leave off and very firm begin?

Well if you want to see a video on the internet by a respected teacher there's many but a good one is by Shawn Clements on youtube he has many videos but there.s one on "grip and hinge" now rather than watching the whole video [ which is up to you ] you can start at 5:10 and watch...In short he swings the club with a grip pressure on a scale from 1 to 10 and he squeezes it to a un realistic 12 just to show how squeezing the life out of the grip doesn't effect the swing...If you want to control of your full swings a very firm grip will give you the control you need...but in the end each does what he wants... if it works for by all means do it..

Now if you want to make a 4 foot putt on a super fast down hill green you really don't need a very firm grip...nor do you need one on a very touchy little shot............everything is relative

Last edited:
For 90% of golfers, lighter than their current pressure is.

This is an accurate statement. If most player would ligten their pressure, they would relax their arms and release the club better. I have seen this first hand with many students.
For 90% of golfers, lighter than their current pressure is.

This is an accurate statement. If most player would ligten their pressure, they would relax their arms and release the club better. I have seen this first hand with many students.
This has to be a lot of my issues! Perhaps the blisters and calluses on my fingers are a telltale sign...

You should feel like ya milking a nice Holstein heifer . You don't squeeze too hard or she'll kick arse off the milking stool ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really where do you get that info..... I'd really like the read the data...

Sam Snead. There is certainly more than one school of thought on this but nearly every scratch golfer I know works on keeping their grip pressure light and nearly every bogey golfer I see has a lot of excess tension at address in the hands and forearms. Whenever I'm hitting it shorter than normal off the tee the first thing I check is my grip pressure.

Sam Snead. There is certainly more than one school of thought on this but nearly every scratch golfer I know works on keeping their grip pressure light and nearly every bogey golfer I see has a lot of excess tension at address in the hands and forearms. Whenever I'm hitting it shorter than normal off the tee the first thing I check is my grip pressure.

A lot of this stuff has been hashed and rehashed for the last 50 years until no semblance of the original statement exists....Anyway if you go up the 32 thread that happens to be my thread and read it then go to youtube Shawn Clements has a video and grip pressure is discussed he hits balls [at about 5:10 min] with twice the grip pressure one needs to prove massive grip pressure has nothing to do with the swing...If you are tense in your arms and shoulders it has nothing to do with grip pressure it has to do with your chest neck and general tension...I personally... like Nick Price... can squeeze the grip until my knuckles are white and my wrists are relaxed...so much for grip pressure being the problem...The problem with most amateurs is first their grip is wrong to start with....When the grip is wrong then you have tension all over...That's the problem...That's why amateurs gloves wear to shreads in a short time especially in the palm...they have a wrong grip and the grip moves around in their hands....Talk to serious teachers and they will tell you that the vast majority of amateurs they see have bad grips with little chance of making a good pass at the ball...

A lot of this stuff has been hashed and rehashed for the last 50 years until no semblance of the original statement exists....Anyway if you go up the 32 thread that happens to be my thread and read it then go to youtube Shawn Clements has a video and grip pressure is discussed he hits balls [at about 5:10 min] with twice the grip pressure one needs to prove massive grip pressure has nothing to do with the swing...If you are tense in your arms and shoulders it has nothing to do with grip pressure it has to do with your chest neck and general tension...I personally... like Nick Price... can squeeze the grip until my knuckles are white and my wrists are relaxed...so much for grip pressure being the problem...The problem with most amateurs is first their grip is wrong to start with....When the grip is wrong then you have tension all over...That's the problem...That's why amateurs gloves wear to shreads in a short time especially in the palm...they have a wrong grip and the grip moves around in their hands....Talk to serious teachers and they will tell you that the vast majority of amateurs they see have bad grips with little chance of making a good pass at the ball...

You can gobon youtube and look up videos by Butch Harmon. He has one specifically on grip pressure. He says no more the 5 or 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 because of the reasons others listed above. I think he qualifies as a "respected teacher". His method has worked for me. That is the beautiful thing about golf, there is a million ways to swing a golf club and they can all work!

This is never going to resolved and is becoming counter productive. Grip pressure should be firm but not tight.

You can gobon youtube and look up videos by Butch Harmon. He has one specifically on grip pressure. He says no more the 5 or 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 because of the reasons others listed above. I think he qualifies as a "respected teacher". His method has worked for me. That is the beautiful thing about golf, there is a million ways to swing a golf club and they can all work!

Sure 5 to 6 if fine.... that is in the area of firm to very firm....To many after hearing this BS about how you'd hold a bird that's been floating around for 50 years and all that nonsence started about holding it at a 3 or 4...I can bet the guys hitting the ball 325+ yards aren't holding at any 3 or 4...The video of ShawnClements was just to show super high grip pressure doesn't effect the tension in the swing...

This is never going to resolved and is becoming counter productive. Grip pressure should be firm but not tight.[/QUOTE]

Well I didn't say the grip had to be tight...I said very firm...and I have plenty of additional evidence to prove my point but as you say it may not be productive because most will believe what they want no matter what the proof is....

This is never going to resolved and is becoming counter productive. Grip pressure should be firm but not tight.[/QUOTE]

Well I didn't say the grip had to be tight...I said very firm...and I have plenty of additional evidence to prove my point but as you say it may not be productive because most will believe what they want no matter what the proof is....
I really think you need to continue watch Shawn and hanging on his every word. You are talking with out actually knowing. There is huge difference between hear someone talk about it and actually being the one talking about it.

You came into this thread with your absolute statements that simply are not true. But you can go on believing what you want.

Different ways to go about this game but If you measured my max grip pressure compared to what I use to hold the club at address it is less than 10% of what I'm capable of applying. I see way too much tension in the hands, arms, and shoulders of most bogey golfers and a lack of this tension in the scratch golfers I play with. It's like trying to throw a baseball or hit a tennis ball with a super firm grip, you can do it but the ball speed will be less.

I really think you need to continue watch Shawn and hanging on his every word. You are talking with out actually knowing. There is huge difference between hear someone talk about it and actually being the one talking about it.

You came into this thread with your absolute statements that simply are not true
. But you can go on believing what you want.

Well I have the proof that you don't wish to listen to....I know exactly what I'm talking about... you on the other hand wish to run every thread like you want based on your own unsubstantiated claims...42,000 threads means squat to me..it just means you had 42.000 times to be wrong...I told you and I backed it up with proof...Audios

Well I have the proof that you don't wish to listen to....I know exactly what I'm talking about... you on the other hand wish to run every thread like you want based on your own unsubstantiated claims...42,000 threads means squat to me..it just means you had 42.000 times to be wrong...I told you and I backed it up with proof...Audios

You must not realize Tadashi has teaching pro experience and talked to numerous other teaching pros about this subject and those teaching pros have tour players they work with. Tadashi far from unsubstantiated

It's all good bro, I will continue to help those that want help.
You must not realize Tadashi has teaching pro experience and talked to numerous other teaching pros about this subject and those teaching pros have tour players they work with. Tadashi far from unsubstantiated

PLease provdie this 100% with out a doubt proof, I am all ears.

jiiim- I enjoy a spirited, respectful discussion. you have mentioned Shawn Clement as "proof." I'm curious whether you have more data points than his one video? who does shawn work with? butch advocates medium pressure, and his resume speaks for itself. you also mentioned Nick Price, who won 18 major tournaments of which 3 were majors. tom Watson advocates a very light grip pressure, only enough to keep the club from slipping through your hands when standing straight up, and he won 39 times with 8 majors.

as someone who came into thp with some pretty hard-nosed ideas about the golf swing, some of which were not necessarily in step with Freddie's philosophy, I've seen him do amazing things with members. He has an amazing eye for the most important thing someone needs to work on, and he communicates it in a way that they can understand, internalize and improve upon. it's pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back