Small Hands in General

jkewatt88

Reaction score
Handicap
30ish
Hey THPers!

My biggest issue over my last few years of golfing are my small hands. I wear a Small footjoy glove. I seem to only find the 10 finger grip working for me or else I don't feel in control and lack power. I guess I was just creating a general forum to complain about my lack of god given features. haha.

Anyone else struggle with this? If you also have small hands, what type of grips are you using? I am using just some standard size Golf Pride grips right now. I was thinking for my next regrip to try either undersized or womens or something to see if I can maybe get a better grip and change up my grip style (interlock/overlap).

Look forward to hearing from anyone, small and big hands alike!

Thanks!

I think the rule of thumb (pun intended) is that your middle finger can barely touch your thumb's heel pad on your glove hand. I don't know that it matters as much for your other hand. I wear small cadet. I just checked that mine barely do touch on a standard sized golf pride grip. I have used undersized grips before though.
I use an overlap grip now, but I used use interlocked. In any of the 3 grip styles, the last three fingers in your glove hand don't change though and those are the ones doing most of the work holding on to the club in that hand.

Very good point. When I use that rule of thumb it seems to fall right in line with what you are saying. I was just trying to think of other ideas to possibly try. Once this snow melts (again!) I will try a long range session and try the interlock and over lap again and see if I can get it to work.

With I try the interlock with a 8i or short... Seems to be Okay. When I try it with the Driver or long iron it always turns out terrible. I'm mentally probably trying to kill the ball because I know using this grip I am losing alot of power.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I wear a size 22 glove, and I don't think small hands are a limitation. On the other hand, (pun intended), small hands may be more sensitive to "feel" or "touch" shots. The way I understand how to create power in the golf swing has nothing to do with the size of the hands.

I wear a size 22 glove, and I don't think small hands are a limitation. On the other hand, (pun intended), small hands may be more sensitive to "feel" or "touch" shots. The way I understand how to create power in the golf swing has nothing to do with the size of the hands.

Now I'm curious. How would small hands be more sensitive to feel and touch shots?

Now I'm curious. How would small hands be more sensitive to feel and touch shots?

Same number of nerves and muscles over a smaller surface area.

Same number of nerves and muscles over a smaller surface area.

But that's just it, same number of nerves and the same proportion touching the grip.

If all grips were the same size I could see how more nerves would be in contact, but that's just not the case.

But that's just it, same number of nerves and the same proportion touching the grip.

If all grips were the same size I could see how more nerves would be in contact, but that's just not the case.

That's assuming hands of different sizes were holding the same-sized grip.

I wear small gloves and have used regular size grips. I use an extra wrap or two on my bottom hand. Switched to MC +4 in my irons and driver and use interlock grip. I don't have any issues.

I have small/medium hands and I use interlock grip. Sometimes when I want to really go after a drive I do an over lap but I don't really have an issue.

If you don't feel comfortable with how you are gripping the club, maybe it's how you are gripping and not your hand size.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I have small hands and use womens footjoy winter gloves during cold weather. The only glove that allows me feel using two gloves. Otherwise, a FJ small is fine. I think I read if you spread your fingers and the glove is like a drum over your palm its the correct size.

I have small hands as well and I interlock. Anything other than that, I feel like the club will go flying during my swing. I've used undersize grips in the past, but am currently using standard size grips and see no difference in performance (but do think I'd be more comfortable going back to undersize).

Jack Nicklaus has small hands and always used the interlocking grip. Didn't seem to hurt his power.

Yeah, it is probably just a mental thing as well. It just seems like when I use a different grip I don't feel like my hands are covering as much of the club grip as it should be. Just feels like there is more play in my hands when I use any grip besides 10 finger. This is something I am going to work on this upcoming season. Thanks for all the input.

Back